1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all 32inch widescreens have this same problem?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hannibalsmith, Jan 19, 2004.

1. hannibalsmith

hannibalsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Panasonic TX-32PS12 and although the picture quality is excellent, there was the problem of a faint but noticeable line vertically down the centre of the TV, with the left half of the screen being slightly darker than the right half.

This set was replaced with the exact same model but this time as well as there being a line down the centre, there is a line down the left-hand side of the screen. These lines are not always noticeable but when the screen is bright or panning they are quite visible.

Having asked about Sony widescreens at a Sony Centre store, I was told that this is the way that Panasonic tubes are made. He also said that Sony TVs are made in a similar way except that they have a noticeable black line running through the centre horizontally.

I am now at a loss as to which TV to buy. I was told that not many people notice the lines, but that once you do, you do not forget about them. So is there any 32 inch widescreens that do not suffer from lines of any sort? Like I said the picture on my TX-32PS12 is excellent but I can't put up with those lines.

Any ideas?

2. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have read about this problem of a faint line occuring on the 28" version of your set as i have been thinking about getting one. It sounds exactly like your problem. In all the cases i have read it has been the actual TV at fault.

The guy in the sony shop was right concerning sony tv's. The way the tv works, is put basically, a grill at the back held in place by two wires about a third and two tirds of the way down.

This causes 2 very very faint black horizontal lines on the image of sony tvs about 1/3rd and 2/3rds of the way down the set.

\\Chris

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This can also be seen on a number of PC monitors based on Sony Trinitron tubes (and derivatives of). Have them on my Iiyana and they're there if I look for them specifically, but most of the time they're invisible unless i've got a pure white screen..

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had two Panasonic 28Ps12's, the first one had a faint lighter line in the centre, the second had a faint line in the centre and two faint lines in the left hand corner, I then bought a 32PS12 and this one now has no line in the centre but has a faint line in the left hand corner. Since I love the picture of the set and the fact that it being in the corner its not that noticble I am keeping it this time.

5. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could it be your scart (or other) leads?
    I thought my TV was faulty with what seems to be your problem till I bought better quality leads..... just a thought.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I tried the two 28PS12's on 4 different leads, and the problems were exactly the same whichever lead was used. Plus I now have no line down the centre with the 32PS12 and thats the same lead, also I have a 4 yo panasonic 28 inch widescreen and thats fine as well (bar a few dirty lines in bright scenes but they have been there since day one)

Wish it was that simple though.

7. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm looking at a Sony Trintron 19' monitor screen now with the lines, never thought I'd get used to them but I have. This article explains it in more detail but briefly:

The only trouble is that the mask is made up of thousands of very fine filaments and must be held firmly in place. So there are two horizontal damper wires stretched to the full, designed to absorb shocks and expansion when the materials heat up to a certain degree. This produces two dark lines that can be seen on screen against a light background. This can be tiresome for some users, especially if they work with a white background. But the eye gets used to it after a while, and has to look hard to see the lines. Note, too, that the number of lines you can see depends on the size of the screen and especially the size of the mask. There will only be one on a screen of less than 17" and two on bigger screens. To sum up, the three main advantages of the Trinitron are: a reduction in heat dispersion; more brightness for equal power and better contrasts; and, of course, a completely flat screen.

Maybe it's this technology that's being used in the TV's?

8. hannibalsmith

hannibalsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's my leads. I've got a top-notch RGB scart for DVD, scart leads for Sky/VCR, composite scart for PS2, plus I've also used S-Video leads for my PS2 and camcorder and they all have the line on them so it must be the TV.

I thought the Panny TX-32PD30 would resolve this but apparently (going by other posts) this suffers the same problem. Maybe it's on all TVs and you just have to ignore it? Just doesn't seem right though - for the amount of money I would expect a picture without this kind of problem.

9. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If it is the same shadow mask technology as used in monitors then it is not a problem, but part of the design.

We need a TV expert to let us know if this is the case though :hiya:

10. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Panasonic use a shadow mask and not an aperture grill, so the problem cannot be explained by the "Damper Wires" used in Trinitron and similar designs of tube.

It seems to me that this is yet anohter variation of poor internal shielding which has previously reared its head as the infamous Sony "scrolling bars" and Philips "black bars". As one forum member mentioned a while back, mainstream manufacturers just can't be bothered because as far as they're concerned 99.5% of consumers won't notice such "small isssues" (and they are right in that assumption :( ) It doesn't make it any better for those that do notice though :rolleyes: