Question Do all 1.4 HDMI do ARC

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by samtman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. samtman

samtman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I want to use the arc functionality for my soundbar to TV. Have noticed some 1.4 rated HDMI cable mention ARC and some don't. So is this a standard for 1.4 or do I need to look for cables that specifically mention it.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    Numbers refer to chipsets , the silicon chip and associated support components inside the device.

They have nothing to do with cables and never have , they are used in advertisements for cables purely as a con , an underhand way to mislead people into buying cables they dont need , or to dishonestly suggest that their HDMI cables are better than others.

All HDMI cables do ARC.
    All HDMI chipsets on the other hand , do not do ARC , as it is an optional feature.
    If you want ARC , check the device manual to see if it supports it on one of its HDMI outputs or inputs.
    The cable has nothing to do with it !

Note , any seller using HDMI version numbers in ads for their HDMI product is breaking hdmi.org rules , see here ....
    HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Trademark and Logo
    So , if you see HDMI version numbers being used in an ad for cables , know that that seller is lying , and you can presume the rest of the ad is BS as well !