Do aesthetics influence your choice of AV kit?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shadowritten, Mar 21, 2006.

?
  1. Yes - There's enough ugliness in my life already

76.3%
  2. No - I couldn't care less if the boxes were burgundy

10.2%
  3. Not bothered either way

13.6%
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may seem like an odd question, but is how your kit looks as important to you as how it performs?

I've been thinking about this lately. If I had the money to splash out on some really high-end gear, there's the anal-retentive part of me that would want to have a one brand system purely on the grounds of aesthetics.

So I just wondered if I'm alone in feeling this.

2. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    My AV system in the lounge is B&O so i probably don't even need to answer this poll!! :D
    However, if it didn't sound good, i wouldn't have agreed to go halves with the wife on buying it.

I would say that if the system is in a room like a lounge than aesthetics are important, however i don't give a stuff what the gear in my listening room looks like - sound is the most important thing in there!

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It strikes me that some kit looks beautiful to me, and some not. And that WOULD affect my buying decision to some extent.

I find Marantz attractive, but Naim turns me off. Musical Fidelity is frankly ugly to me, while Denon isn't. Linn and Arcam are my two favourites on the looks front.

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I have never found any component that I would describe as being beautiful hence it all gets stacked in a cabinet with a glazed door so i dont have to look at it when not in use

5. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Room has blackout conditions, cant see it, dont matter.:thumbsup:

6. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    Same here, although I would not buy the most beautiful equipment in the world if it did not perform well.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Not too fussed personally. It's a factor sometimes yes, but to be honest, sound quality is more important, if it looks good as well, then that is just a bonus. Heck, I have a black Rotel RB985 power amp on the same rack as a Marantz SR7500 AV receiver, and possibly the ugliest dvd recorder on the planet in the form of the Philips DVD-R70, total contrast to what is the beauty of the Marantz DV7600 dvd player.

So looks are nice, but it's not the be all and end all.

8. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Very important in all aspects of my life.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    You're not alone - although I must confess to being baffled as to why. :confused:

I remember the last time I was in Graham's Hifi (in Islington) I said I was rather puzzled about the fact that B&W made two different versions of the same speaker: the Nautilus 800, and the Signature 800. (Both models have since been retired). They were identical sonically, it's just that the Signature version had a fancier lacquer finish on the outside of the cabinet. The N800 sold for £11,000 a pair, and the Signature version for £16,000 a pair. How much money, I wondered, would I have to have in order to want to spend £5000 to make a piece of audio equipment look better?

But, according to the salesmen, they sold more of the Signature version than the plain-case one! Presumably anyone who is rich enough to spend £11,000 on speakers is rich enough that they can spend £5000 without even noticing. :mad:

10. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    William Morris

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judging by the votes so far, it seems I'm not alone, then?

12. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    1 simple factor behind my answer - 'er indoors....

13. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Lovely, co-ordinating AV gear can be wasted in a room that is not, itself, co-ordinated in a similar style.
    Imagine top of the range B&O gear in a chintzy room - yikes.
    Once one goes along the route of clean, co-ordinating design everything has to be included for it to 'work'. And the results can be really satisfying.
    Mind you, a magazine or newspaper left 'out of place' can become the worst thing that has ever happened! ;)

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Performance is my only consideration. If it looks good that is a bonus. :)

16. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
  17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I couldn't agree more.

18. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

:smashin:

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Not fussed how the gear looks as long as it sounds great. It's all hidden away on a shelf system anyway.

The only preference I have is black over silver/aluminium finish. I find silver tacky looking. Was glad black took over in the 80's, sad to see silver make a comeback.

As for 'champagne'! *gag* *retch* :eek:

Having said that, I have some silver AV gear as it's performance/price outweighed gear I could get in black.

21. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950

lol. :rotfl:

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Would not touch silver in my Hi-fi sytem with a barge pole.
    My TV had to bee black as well unfortunatly some of the boxes under it are silver:thumbsdow

23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    It shouldn't do - but it does :) I will never not buy a product because it's ugly but if there are two more-or-less equal products I have frequently gone for the one that is more compatible with my home cinema decoration. It's not a major consideration but it is one nonetheless.

24. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Ditto. My hi-fi is all black, some of the AV gear is silver. Bizzarely when I bought the Denon 2900, our local dealer was offering the silver version £49 cheaper!? So I went for it. Work that one out...........:confused:

25. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The primary consideration is the sound quality - the secondary consideration to choose between the top runners is aesthetics. Personally dont like black kit at all... looks dated and in my opinion frequently "plasticy"/ cheap. Certainly silver plastic often suffers from similar problems but "proper" aluminium/ metal in my opinion looks much better and "matches" the s/steal aspects of the current furtniture.

26. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Whilst I couldn't give a monkeys what the stereo gear looks like, the AV stuff has to be in the lounge and must pass other half approval (which is it would seem not nearly as stringent as some). I'm actually quite happy with the aesthetics of my AV gear and the performance isn't too shabby either.

27. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree 100% with that.

28. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For me looks matters but it doesn't necessarily have to mean it's the most important deciding factor or it has to result in lesser performance; I do prefer a coherent (?) look, which usually means all equipment has to be from the same manufacturer and series, however I am not entirely fixated on that; though if it's possible to combine looks, price and performance - then why not?

My AV system was "collected" while I was living in Malaysia and consists mostly of Yamaha components (except the Sony TV and VCR) and I went to great lengths to get some of the items I wanted.
    The amplifier DSP-A1 was purchased due to it's specs (first with DTS), looks (I like squarish-bold looks for my tech stuff and prefer black* over silver (ok) and gold (no-way)), sound (of course) and price (a real bargain actually that I just couldn't resist, even it was one of the most expensive integrated AV amps at the time). You can argue about how musical it is but for AV it's hard to beat. :)
    However in return I paid a hefty price to get a matching player, the DVD-S700, a no-frills model but a very good performer (based on Panasonic), modified to play multi-region. It was a US model so I had to use a transformer for the AC side of things and could only play NTSC discs but was somewhat compensated by the 'DTS Out' and Component (YUV) connections. Still works today though now it's mostly used as a secondary CD transport.
    At the time I also wanted a tape deck and managed to talk Yamaha Malaysia into selling me an export model (they didn't normally sell any tape decks locally) and the Yamaha tuner was "imported" from Germany (I bought it during a holiday and hand-carried it back).
    Then, during a holiday in Australia I came across an irresistable offer of the new Yamaha DVD-S795: multi-region, PAL (and NTSC), Component out, 230V and all for just AUD699 (I think) - luckily I had a big suitcase with me. :D
    All the components match each other nicely with the exception of some minor details (e.g. shape of the buttons) but no need to nit-pick about that - the stuff still looks cool as ever on the rack and has never let me down.

Now if only Yamaha had made VCRs and TVs .... ;)

*) During a trip to Singapore I once saw a Sony DVD-7700 in a color called "Titanium", not be confused with the Yamaha color available in Germany (which also looks nice, kind of dark-silverish) but it was more like white. Did look absolutely great but unfortunately it wouldn't have matched my amp at all and it would have been difficult to bring it back to Malaysia. Not sure if that was a custom made model, special edition or whatever as I have never seen that color on another model. Had the S7000 been available in black this would had been my player of choice instead of the Yamaha DVD-S700 but in Malaysia they only sold the golden version.

29. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    As others have said, it has to have wife approval. I'm developed such a keen sense of what will and won't get past this hurdle that I don't even consider some kit if it's not pleasing to the eye.

I'm currently thinking of a new subwoofer. Her response to my saying it might be a big bigger than the old one was 'It doesn't matter how big it is, as long as it matches the furniture, we can always get rid of that coffee table.' :eek:

30. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137