Do 10m Ultra High Speed (48gbps) HDMI cables exist yet?

leeuk321

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if any certified 10m ultra high speed 48G (48gbps) HDMI cables existed yet? I've had a look online, and although I can find some 10m fibre-optic 48G HDMI cables, I can't find any that are "ultra high speed" certified, and a lot of reviews are people having trouble with them. I don't know if they exist, or if anyone has heard any good/bad things or had any experience with them?

Unless HDMI create a new category allowing cables which are active to pull power from connected devices, rather than solely relying on external lower, no active cables will receive Ultra High Speed, Premium High Speed or High Speed certification.

3m is likely the longest Ultra High Speed cable you will see once cables arrive on the market.

Joe

Joe is correct. The maximum cable length for passive, UHS cables will max out at 3m and possibly (hopefully) 5m. Active cables can not be certified so you'll be up to the reputation and build quality of the active cable mfr on how they "validate" their claims in-house (hopefully) for the HDMI 2.1 option sets.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Do you have any solution you might be able to suggest in my situation please? There might be an obvious solution that I'm overlooking.

Basically, I have a projector setup with an acoustically transparent screen, and all my AV equipment is behind the screen. This comprises of an AV Receiver, PS3, Nvidia Shield TV Pro and Roku player. The AV Receiver is an old sony one, but I'll soon be upgrading to a Denon AVR-X2700H AV Receiver, which is HDMI 2.1, etc. My projector is a JVC DLA-X700, which is a 4K e-shift projector. All of my media devices go to the AV receiver, and then a 10m 18gbps HDMI cable goes to the projector, which is all fine.

However, this November I'll be getting a Xbox Series X and LG 48" OLED TV, and I'll be putting the TV in a different section of the lounge to the projector screen / setup. What I was wanting to do was have the Xbox with all my other AV equipment, behind the projector screen, and run it to the Denon AVR and make use of the dual HDMI outputs on the AVR, with one HDMI cable going to the TV and one going to the projector. I'll keep the existing HDMI cable to the projector, since 18gbps will be more than enough for that. However, I would need a 10m 48G cable from the AVR to the TV, for when I used the Series X input with the TV. I know that there won't be many games outputting in 4K @ 120Hz, but I want to have the setup right and ready. I've heard that there are some titles already announced for that, which if I've researched correctly 4K @ 120hz would need a 32.27 Gbit/s capable cable.

If a 10m 48G cable isn't feasible, the other solution would be to have the Series X next to the TV. I'd then only need a short 48G cable, because it's only if I'm going from the Series X -> TV that I'd make use of the bandwidth. I'd then have to run 2 x regular 18gbps HDMI cables between the TV setup and AVR; one from the Series X -> AVR (when I wanted to use my Series X with the projector), and one from the AVR -> TV (when I wanted to use my other media devices with the TV). That's a little bit of a hassle, because:
1) I'd have my Series X not in the ideal place. I've got a Cyberpower UPS behind the projector screen you see, which I wanted to plug my Series X into. I suppose I could get a 10m power extension, but then it's getting even more convoluted.
2) I'd have to switch the HDMI cable on the Series X every time I wanted to change the output from the Series X to either the TV or the AVR (which in turn, to the projector). Not the end of the world, but not ideal either. I don't know if there's a HDMI switch that's 48G compatible, to at least save constantly yanking a cable out and plugging another in, but I'm already doubting it.

So that's my setup and what I'm trying to achieve, but I don't know if I'm missing some really obvious solution?

Until the new devices and cables arrive and folk can have a play to see what actually works, or not, you may have to plan around physically moving the XBSX and have short Ultra High Speed cables at both locations.

Joe

@leeuk321 You will probably need to rearrange your setup if you want to eventually use certified UHS HDMI cables once they are widely available. But I'd plan for a maximum length of 15' (5m) because some cable mfrs are trying to push their certified UHS HDMI cables past the original 9' (3m) maximum. The cables will also be passive, not active.

Thanks again. I don't want to be carrying equipment from one place to another, that'd be an absolute last resort. To be honest, I think if I have the Series X next to the 4K TV, and the other stuff next to the AVR (which goes to the projector), most of the time the TV section / projector section will both just live independently in their own AV ecosystems. I just want a couple of HDMI cables between for those times when I want to go Series X -> AVR and Other Media Players -> TV.

I don't need high speed / standards to go from Series X-> AVR, because the projector is essentially 1080p 60hz. And the Series X will take the responsibility of feeding the TV all the full-fat 4K HDR stuff, whether it be from UHD disc or a a streaming app, so I don't need a full-fat signal from the other devices to the TV.

My only concern is that media devices sending a signal along 10m HDMI cable will try to overreach in quality (even though I don't want/need it to) and fail. For instance, I've heard people having mixed results for 4K @ 60Hz with HDR along 10m using a 18gbps Premium High Speed cable. I won't necessarily need that, so I guess I'd just have to turn that quality/HDR setting off, if it tried to push it.

You're probably wondering, "When will you ever need to go between different devices/setups", and why I don't just keep the two sections of the living room in their own AV bubbles. Sometimes I like to browse for a TV programme to watch on my projector after I make my dinner or have a shower, or cue up a film ready to sit down. It's a bit of pain firing up the projector just to do this. Another thing, I have retro games on my Nvidia Shield TV, which I'd like to also be able to use with the TV. And sometimes I'll want to put a game from the Series X onto the projector. They're just a few examples.

It's not essential for me to have the highest-spec 10m cables (although it'd have been nice to have in place, if possible), but it's definitely essential for me to be able to connect the two spaces together without having to carry equipment backwards and forwards.

If I'm going to go down this line, does anyone have any cable recommendations please? I've seen various ones from Amazon that are 10m and rated 18gbps, 4K @ 60Hz. I don't think I'll be able to get a Certified HDMI Premium High Speed cable, because it looks like they don't certify cables of that length in Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed (and perhaps, any speed rating at all).

Media Player > TV and XBSX > Projector - keep in mind any permanently connected cables means connected devices always ‘see’ each other - which usually causes HDCP and format problems when you have a mix of capabilities within the ‘connected’ system.

You could run a couple of 10m HDMI cables between the two sub systems but you may find it causes you problems unless you connect/disconnect as required.

As you point out 10m HDMI cables won’t carry any form of official Certification and instead you are simply seeing manufacturer claims about capabilities (usually jumbled up with some ‘official’ looking language borrowed from HDMI org).

An iPad or similar running the appropriate Apps may be a more fail safe solution to queue up content.

Joe

Media Player > TV and XBSX > Projector - keep in mind any permanently connected cables means connected devices always ‘see’ each other - which usually causes HDCP and format problems when you have a mix of capabilities within the ‘connected’ system.

You could run a couple of 10m HDMI cables between the two sub systems but you may find it causes you problems unless you connect/disconnect as required.

As you point out 10m HDMI cables won’t carry any form of official Certification and instead you are simply seeing manufacturer claims about capabilities (usually jumbled up with some ‘official’ looking language borrowed from HDMI org).

An iPad or similar running the appropriate Apps may be a more fail safe solution to queue up content.

Joe
Ahh, good points about the devices seeing each other, I know I've sometimes run into HDCP and output display format issues in the past. I think I'll just get two well-reviewed 10m 18gbps HDMI cables and go for it. Worse car scenario, I'll sometimes have to unplug or replug a cable in, which I can live with. And if for some reason they were glitchy even on basic settings, I'll just do as you suggested and occasionally move devices.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

If you do end up unplugging cables make sure your devices are powered off because hot plugging/unplugging an HDMI cable can cause problems.

If you do end up unplugging cables make sure your devices are powered off because hot plugging/unplugging an HDMI cable can cause problems.
Ahh, didn't realize that, thanks. Just out of curiosity, what sort of issues does it cause?

The issues can vary but it is possible physically damage the port with a static spark. I think most folks who hot swap HDMI cables don't develop issues, but some do, so for me, it's just a good policy to power off before disconnecting/connecting HDMI cables.

Ahh, good to know, thanks. Most devices when you 'power off' just go into standby, is this okay, or would it ideally need to be unplugged? And I'm assuming that the device on the end of the cable that isn't being unplugged would be okay? Thanks

Ahh, didn't realize that, thanks. Just out of curiosity, what sort of issues does it cause?
BANG!!!!!!!

Could damage the HDMI board on both connected devices.

For those who are interested, I did get my hands on a pre final package version (not for retail sale, yet, but will be very soon) of a certified Cable Matters model 300047 10 meter Active Optical Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 8K cable. Tested it via my Denon AVR-X6700H cable test feature and it successfully passed the 8K 40Gbps signal test!!! Silicon Line and GRL Announce the First Certified Active Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable
This cable is fully certified via the Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable Certification Program.

There have been rumors and a few brief posts on Cable Matters active UHS HDMI cable. Can you post a pic of the box with the QR label? The link you posted is an old article, and I suppose that 40Gbps would quality as "up to 48Gbps". 10m (30') is pretty long for a certified active cable so it would be interesting to see how it truly performs with source material that actually requires that bandwidth. The bandwidth testers in some of the newer receivers can be notoriously inaccurate so the ultimate test would be with actual source material.

Sorry, I do not have the box or the label any longer. As I said in my post, this was a pre-final packaging unit (not yet for sale to the general public as Cable Matters is waiting for the final packaging, official HDMI ULTRA HIGH SPEED HOLOGRAM TAG, etc. before they can sell this cable to the general public, so I suspect they will be available very soon.)

I have a projector installation going in where the HDMI wire was difficult to route around steel beams, etc. through a finished ceiling, and I wanted some future proofing. I am using this cable between a JVC RS3000 projector and the Denon AVR-X6700H Receiver. The Denon has a true 8K output, but the JVC is only native 4K (with 8K E-shift upscaling).

Again, I simply wanted a future proof cable for the next projector given the wiring difficulty. If you look at some of the newer LG 4K TVs available, you will find that they are are also really 40Gbps, not 48Gbps LG’s 2020 4K OLED And LCD TVs Don’t Support Full 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 Per this article, 40Gbps implies 10-bit (rather than 12-bit) 4K at 120Hz with RGB 4:4:4 chroma sampling. I am not sure in the real world what this means and whether any of us will be able to tell the difference on real 8K equipment, with real 8K sources from real seating-to-screen distances. So, I am not surprised the Denon cable test is matching the 40 Gbps 4K LG TV specs, and this may be due to the currently available 4K (and 8K) processing chip designs or other arcane reasons.

The best source material I have are some 4K Ultra HD Discs (Planet Earth II and Blue Planet) so more on that later.

On the bandwidth testing, I was able to test a storage container full of old HDMI cables and in my testing, the Denon consistently passed (or failed) the cables uniformly and their speed capabilities measured consistently the same after three tests for each cable. There are some old youtube videos out there where the Denon cable test appears inconsistent or inaccurate, but I believe these were done 1) with older non-updated Denon firmware and 2) in a few of the videos I have seen, the Denon unit was not turned off between tests, which does not allow for a fresh digital handshake clean start at the beginning of each test. Just FYI, interestingly, some of my older cables consistently pass an 8K signal, but these were all shorter cables. The only 10M cable that could consistently pass the 8K test on my Denon was the Cable Matters 300047 model.

I will post again with my impressions of cable performance and screen shot photos (of 4K images) using this cable. My equipment installation will be completed in the next few days, so I look forward to this part of the test!

Update 3_18_21:
OK, now I have some iPhone photos of my projector screen using a JVC RS3000 projector on a 135" Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 G4. (I even had a light on in the back of the room when these photos were taken.) This Cable Matters HDMI cable really rocks, and it is now on Amazon in the 10M size for $99. Having used it for several intensive weeks now, I can now highly recommend it! First photo of Cheetah face is from an 8K youtube video streamed via 4K firestick then upscaled via 8K output on Denon to 8K e-shift JVC RS3000 projector.
Amazon product ASIN B08GMC7C91
JVC RS3000 with Cable Matters 300047 Cat.jpg

Attachments

• Cable Matters Denon Front Screen 8K Pass.jpg
    Cable Matters Denon Front Screen 8K Pass.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Cable Matters 8K Cable plugged into Denon.jpg
    Cable Matters 8K Cable plugged into Denon.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 63
  • JVC RS3000 Cable Matters 300047 Fly.jpg
    JVC RS3000 Cable Matters 300047 Fly.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 65
  • JVC RS3000 With Cable Matters 300047.jpg
    JVC RS3000 With Cable Matters 300047.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I understand your difficulties in running cable but the ONLY way to future proof your cabling is to use a conduit for safe, easy, installation/re-installation of your cables. It is also much easier to control bend radius which can be critical.

Typically, hybrid fiber cables are very flexible with a generous bend radius. From the picture, the cable jacket looks to be a bit thicker. How is the bend radius?

Calibrated, accurate, and reliable bandwidth testers are expensive (hundreds to thousands of dollars) so it is interesting to note that Denon was able to configure their new receivers with that and still keep costs down and competitive. But it is better than nothing.

Did CM include a voltage inserter? There have been quite a few reports about pj's not playing nice with active hybrid fiber cables because the current output at the HDMI port fluctuated enough that it caused issues with the cable chipsets at the connector end. Sometimes, a voltage inserter provided just enough stable current for the cable to work reliably. Sometimes not, but at least it was an option to pursue if reliability issues occurred.

I have quite a few 4k HDR disks that play perfectly on my UHD/BD player with the passive, certified, UHS HDMI cables (with the QR labels) from Zeskit and Ruipro, but I'm not pushing anywhere 10m. I hope it all works out for you.

Certification is not a guarantee that the cable will work for any given setup and devices. It's more for consumer confidence that the cable has been tested and certified to meet the HDMI 2.1 option sets using standardized protocols and instrumentation designed by HDMI.org and approved by HDMI LA.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom