DNX8220BT - Control Button Problems

steve99uk

Hi,

I have a DNX8220BT that is about 2 years old. For the last couple of days the buttons that control the volume, switch to navigation etc have become very temperamental. It started with the volume buttons not responding and today none of the buttons would do anything but a few minutes later they started working. However I just tried them again and all have stopped working.

Any ideas ?

TIA

Steve

jerryjal

Hi,

I have a DNX8220BT that is about 2 years old. For the last couple of days the buttons that control the volume, switch to navigation etc have become very temperamental. It started with the volume buttons not responding and today none of the buttons would do anything but a few minutes later they started working. However I just tried them again and all have stopped working.

Any ideas ?

TIA

Steve
I had similar problems with the buttons on my DNX8220BT, it turned out to be a problem with the ribbon cable, this happened in March. The unit was 13 months old at the time (just outside warranty), i contacted them and they agreed to fix it free of charge.

The problem is caused by dust getting between the bottom of the screen and laying behind the buttons, firstly my volume up button stopped working quickly followed by the rest.

Last week the unit failed again, not impressed i called Kenwood and they have again agreed to fix it as it has only been 9 months since the exact same fault had been repaired.

I can't fault their customer service.

steve99uk

Couldn't find a telephone number so I emailed. No response so far. Do you have a number I can call them on ?

lags72

I'm pretty certain that some time ago they switched (sadly...:() from what was once excellent, friendly telephone-based support to an 'email your query' only type of arrangement

I did get to speak directly to a technician a short while back, but only by using devious tactics. He implied that they had become a victim of their own good customer service and sympathetically bemoaned the fact that growing call volumes had eventually forced them into this policy change.

Not welcome ! Useful as email is in daily life there are still times when it's good to talk ....

IANOLIVER

Kenwood will speak to you over the phone 01923 816444 and ask for customer relations.

Last edited:

lags72

If based on very 'up-to-date' experience then it's good news indeed :smashin:

I seem to recall that they had stopped providing a number on their website but ...... steve99uk : let us know how you get on !

steve99uk

Not good. Called the number and got through to the operator. I asked for the Customer Relations department. She asked me if I had an account number. I said no and she then said that all enquiries would have to be directed through the website. I did ask to speak to someone but was told that that was not possible.

Still no response to my email to them on Monday so it looks like it's off to the Kenwood approved repairer that is fairly local luckily.

Cheers

Steve

lags72

As a Kenwood owner myself, very disappointed to hear this, seems to tally with my earlier post.

You would have hoped that if they only allow contact via webmail then they would at least ensure prompt response times

steve99uk

When I first bought the unit I had a problem with the navigation system and adding POI's. I went to the Watford office and met two of the guys and eventually they swapped the unit for me. The CS side of things was much better then.

It's now with the repairer for an estimate. I will post again when I hear from them.

steve99uk

It's going to be abput £100 to repair. BTW the repairer said that I should be able to speak to Kenwood CS. I explained that I had tried and he is not happy that Kenwood switchboard are not letting non-account holders through to CS.

Steve

lags72

steve - i was disappointed to read this - both for you personally, but also with an eye to potential implications for other 8220bt owners (such as .... er .... ME ! :rolleyes:)

I've had my own unit for approx 2.5 years and mercifully it has performed well & been totally trouble-free in all that time (well apart the Nav getting itself horribly confused for a short period whenever within the Heathrow/M25 area ; but that could be because my maps are the 2008 version and/or the host of roadworks + lane changes going on there) But who's to say I won't hit problems at some point, as you have done...?

I don't think it's fair that you should find yourself shelling out three figures for a repair on a a relatively young unit AND one that cost you so much in the first place

I imagine you intend to plug away at Kenwood CS....? They really should be offering to help in some way with your costs here ; for me it's a classic case for them dipping into their 'goodwill' fund even though you're now outside the official warranty period

steve99uk

I will definately contact Kenwood CS again. Not via email though as I never got a response from my email sent on 13th December.

As for your nav issue - I live near the M25 J16 and when I have the unit on nav to a destination and am travelling from J16(M40) towards J15 (M4) it will always recalculate the route at least once between these two junctions. I thought that it was a problem just with mine !

I do have newer maps that someone gave me on a DVD. Is it a case of just copying the file onto an SD card to load them ?

Steve

lags72

yes it happens with mine just around the area you describe (M25/M4), same behaviour - so some comfort for both of us perhaps !

as regards your DVD .... I thought it was possible to actually update the original mapping directly from the disc but that doing so via an SD card is the recommended and more 'efficient' option. But I could be completely wrong .... hopefully someone with far more knowledge on the subject will provide a definitive answer (planning to tackle it myself one day, let us know how you get on !)

steve99uk

Back in the car now and working very well after a speedy repair.

I did manage to get through to someone at Kenwood CS but they were not very forthcoming with any offer to assist with the cost of repair. The unit is 2.5 yrs old so I suppose I was expecting a lot. They did check and told me that only about 16 of the switch boards had been repaired in these units over the last year in Europe so it's not a 'common' problem.

They had to change to email only response due to not having enough people to support their Dealers when they called in. I did mention that I had emailed about 3 weeks ago and never got a reply but she thinks that the email must have been lost in the ether :(

So it does appear that it's email or nothing from now on but hopefully the unit will now be fine for years to come.

Steve

lags72

Thanks for updating us, glad to hear you're a happy bunny again. Although bad that they showed no interest in helping out re costs, and your confirmation that they no longer provide support by phone is disappointing.

Here's hoping your system remains trouble-free from now on ........

Top Bottom