DNS error 80710102

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Boson, May 14, 2009.

1. Boson

Boson
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I seem to get this message all the time now, last month i've seen it every day, whats wrong?

2. simcra

simcra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've had the dns error, not sure if it's the same numbers though. when i get the dns error it means i have lost my internet connection. it is probably a problem with your isp rather than your ps3.

3. Boson

Boson
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the internet works fine, just signing into the ps network is the problem

it sometimes works if i try to sign in about 30 times in a row but then goes back to it again

4. phairplay

phairplay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
  5. Boson

Boson
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  6. steveqpr

steveqpr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Just for information - after the update I was able to log on to the PSN but found that downloading demo's from the store produced figures along the lines of 2624 minutes remaining (I was attempting to download the Race Driver GRID demo). I started receiving a similar error message but it had the letter 'B' in it somewhere.

I just re-inputted all of my Internet Settings (well, automatically ;) ) and that seemed to do the trick :thumbsup:

7. MrKennedy

MrKennedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi guys,

Just thought i'd post this up as some useful/helpful info for member's having the same problems over and over as i know it's seemingly a common problem nowadays :rolleyes:

The problem i am talking about is the dns error or not being able to sign in to psn or even not being able to get your ps3 to recognise your internet connection! :suicide:

Basically, ive had this three times in 2weeks now!

The first time i experienced this issue was after connecting two ps3's to my wireless network at home (one wired and one wireless) - i dont know what brought it on or how ! weather that just happened to be pure timing or pure fluke i dont know :confused:

Either way, after fixing it the first time - i dont know how it fixed itself btw, it just did! somehow. I had a live chat with my ISP then too and he didnt even know what to suggest nor how or why it died and then fixed itself! Anyway the next day it did it again and repaired itself, although i did tamper with some settings and it finally got working again (can't tell you what settings as really dont have a clue, my panic made me loose all trace of memory! :suicide:)

So after about 11days of it working fine! it died again, about an hour ago! this evening.....

:lesson:

so first thing i did was get onto my ISP! they didn't help much to explain anything despite my asking, just said it was a dns communication error :)god: yeh thanks it says that on my screen! tell me something i dont know, i mean, tell me, seriously) but anyway, he gave me abrand new manual input set of dns numbers and changed my wirless channel checked a whole bunch of other stuff with my line and after that it all went running fine :D

So when it doubt get on to your ISP, explain the problem and get them to give you the new codes to manually input, thats what i suggest... it's a real headache trying to understand it.
    I am no good with routers at the best of times as i'm sure my ignorance has shown but i figured i would make this aware to everyone/forum member's incase they too stumble in the same boat and have no idea what they are doing :devil:... like me

8. HimIndoors

HimIndoors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I'm with sky (at least for the next few days) and they told me they don't support any type of gaming and to "look your problem up on the internet." Wasn't too happy with that so asked to speak to a manager and she refused :thumbsdow Got put through to disconnections to get my mac code and was going to cancel everything with sky (hd and multiroom too) and got 25% off my tv for the next 6 months.

I'm moving to Be, getting cashback from quidco and 3 months free :cool: Sky are a pain in the backside when things go wrong, I've had 2 routers in the 12 months that I've been with them and numerous problems with signal dropping :thumbsdow

9. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Good choice mate..Be are the dogs danglies IMHO.....they even rang me up to say that I'd be better off on their "up to 8 Meg" package instead of the 24 as get 2.5 Meg anyway (for what it's worth, I get approx 1 Meg upload so excellent for gaming)...this saves me 10 per month!

10. phairplay

phairplay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    i posted back on the 14th about having a DNS error and i'm with sky. I used the DNS code and i have not had a problems since Uridium posted this over in the other dns error thread and it makes a lot of sense.
    i have no problem playing any game online with sky

11. TEVEZ032

TEVEZ032
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm with talktalk and had the same problem.

It's only start recently. I used the OpenDNS settings and everything is fine again. It only took 2 minutes to enter the IP addresses.

12. phairplay

phairplay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    more proof it has nothing to do with peoples ISP looks like sony has failed to relay the information of the new servers properly.

it's a fix that can be left it will now always work the reason some ppl get it and others don't(or get it later) is because they are still connecting to the old severs and it happens when you do.

13. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Sony only have to update their DNS entries the rest should be recursive / automatic...basically it's shoddyness on the ISP's behalf if you ask me if they fail to update their own DNS cache in a timely fashion (which I highly suspect has occurred as not all DNS servers throw the error) - some posters here are saying that they have had problems for weeks...that's plain out of order IMO.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  14. phairplay

phairplay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964

good point if it was just one ISP but i have seen 3 with this problem

15. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Perhaps they outsource and share a common DNS provider, running of some blokes laptop in China? :)

If it was down to Sony, all ISP's would be affected I would imagine.

These intermittent type of faults are a real pain to nail though, but I'd bet money on it being the ISP's problem.

16. phairplay

phairplay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    hahaha :D

17. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I had the same prob this weekend with the dns error got me really worried. Entered the opendns settings and its fine. Just one concern. Should we be worried about security. I.e. when purchase games from playstation shop using credit card as we are not using the standard dns settings. Is opendns trustworthy?

18. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Yes used by millions around the world.

In some respects OpenDNS can be safer especially if you have kids online at home as OpenDNS will filter out a lot of the really dodgy sites and redirect you to an OpenDNS landing page.

19. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest. Can we just continue with this setting for ever more then? Was kind of hopeing this error was due to the isp doing some work somewhere and it might clear in a day or two allowing me to go back to the standard/auto settings. Especially as people are experiancing this with different isp's. Do you think this is likely? Seems a bit of a coincidence it kicked of straight after i done the last firmware update. Think it was actually when it was auto re-booting after update.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  20. keefers

keefers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes!

21. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks very much. Sorry if my questions were a bit thick. I will be doing some reading on DNS so i understand it better.:)