1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMTech 17" LCD/DVD Combi

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by po_man, Dec 30, 2004.

1. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm currently on the verge of buying a DMTech DML4117WD 17" LCD/DVD combi for the bedroom after seeing one on display in John Lewis and being very impressed with the quality for such a low budget (Empire and Comet both do this model for an incredible £399!).

Does anyone else have any opinions on this model and also if this model is VESA compatable for wall mounting?

Many thanks

2. nugetto2003

nugetto2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the problem is the refresh rate and the built-in comb filter. watching tennis is impossible, too much smear. and the filter which is only a problem when you watch tv - dvd is fine - can't be turned off. you have to reduce the sharpness to zero to reduce it to acceptable levels and then you have quite a soft picture.

it's tempting at that price, but i wouldn't buy it.

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ive just bought one of these and its a cracking TV for the price, dead chuffed with my purchase! (Its only been setup 10 minutes) Both TV via NTL and DVD look great easily on par (if not better) than the 14" CRT that it is replacing. Also ive just saved loads of space in the bedroom due to the fact of the build in DVD player

4. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought one of these screens w/o the DVD player and I'm very happy with it. I will concede that the picture is not on par with more expensive models but you get what you pay for. I have spent a few hours watching it with DVD and TV source and can find very few occasions where the picture got that bad (I don't watch a lot of tennis!). DVD is fine but the RF signal gets a bit grainy at times but it's only my second set so for the money I'm not complaining. The similarly priced Relysis unit has a better refresh rate but it has had some bad reviews so it's really personal choice. Seeing as John Lewis sell the DMTECH for £399 with a 5 year guarantee on the panel and 2 on the DVD you are pretty well covered regarding reliability.

5. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I watched match of the day this morning on ours and footy looks absolutely fine, easily on par with my CRT its has replaced, so i cant see tennis being a problem ffor me. My local John lewis are totally out of stock on this thing and are quoting a long lead time to order one...

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ...and ive just managed to make the DVD player Multiregion, thanks the handset hack forum :D

7. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it easy to wall mount? Is it as thin as the non-DVD version?

8. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Not seen the non DVD version im afraid, but i know it used the VESA 100 fitting if you want to wall mount

9. screenman

screenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...picked up one of these (DVD version - 4117wd?) for £309 :eek:)

...and I must say it is fantastic for what I paid since the region free change works a treat also!!

The only kick in the head is I cant seem to get it to work via one of the Sky remotes, Sky or Sky+.....has anyone had any luck using it with either of the sky remotes at all please and could you kindly point me in the right direction of what to do to get it working!! !

To answer a previous question....there is a difference in the thickness/depth between the DVD and non DVD version of the screens by the way, additionally the connectors are in different locations oddly.... Both are VESA compliant

Must say again, for the money, the screen is really good value with the features it has. Sky also used to sell this as a rebadged SKY product from the monthly magazines and the skybuy website.

10. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you manage to pick it up for that price? :eek: My non DVD one cost me £350 from comet and the DVD integrated ones are generally £399???

11. screenman

screenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was weird,...a unique set of circumstances...

For 1 day only it went down from £449 to £399 and then very oddly the next day again it went down to to £349 in store,...Dont know why, didnt ask and was a pure chance thing,....I was in there like a bullet placing an order but sadly they were out of stock which suited me as I needed a little time (explain later!). When it was first released, I recall it cost £599 so it was a bit of a bargain and worth the wait knowing that the nearest indergrated model to it was the LG versions which were much higher with less connectivity...

I then managed to get a percentage off as they messed me about with delayed orders etc....a bit of structured whinging worked wonders!

The magical bit (where I needed the little time) is to then use Gift vouchers to pay for it all which you "must" buy in advance and are posted out to you giving you a further percentage off aswell. Eg....Receive £300 in vouchers, but pay £285 for them - saving 5%. Some providers do it the other way, Receive £315 in vouchers, but pay £300, again saving as a bonus 5%.

If I work it out correctly, I actually paid little over £292+ even though the receipt for the item indicates £307+ for something worth £349 at point of purchase.

In theory, you can save a little more by buying the vouchers using a credit card that offers cashback on purchases but I never did that in this case as I had saved a fair chunk and it only would have been another £3.00 - £5.00, but it all adds up particularly when buying something like a large flat panel.

I notice now its actually shot back up to £449 in the main electrical retailers for that particular model so I'm relatively chuffed! :thumbsup:

I dont have the link to the site where I got the vouchers from on the pc I'm using right now....will post it when I have a chance if anyone insists!

12. screenman

screenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( ....Still need that Sky info!! !

13. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    screenman - As it was previously sold through the Sky mag (it was in last months I think) there must be a Sky and Sky+ code for it - have you tried explaining the situation to Sky? NS

PS post the results if you get them. It is still on my shortlist, although I am also looking at integrated Freeview TV's too, and I don't think there is an integrated freeview and built in DVD panel this size?

14. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO NO NO ! Dont do it firstly dmtech (budget samsung) origianly sent out wrong power supllies so the sets just wouldnt work. then there was the buzzing noise omg how loud, then dvd,s stop working then dvd,s got stuck,then probs with shading then wouldnt turn on then backlights going need i say more. i have seen so many of these come back to the shop we dont even like selling them anymore there boomerang tv,s if you want an lcd with dvd go for the 17" LG the only prob i hav with mine is its too bright on pc use so i have to turn the brightness onto game but then i have to change it back when watching dvd or tv but apart from that its fine

15. screenman

screenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neville Street - ....yup, explained it to sky, even pretended I bought it from them,....they had no idea whatsoever.....whats annoying is in the mag, it indicates it is optimised for use with Sky.....No joy just yet!

alscds - The screen is great....can imagine there has been a bad batch out there, fair enough,....but I honestly say its really good. I guess its reputation has suffered as a result of the problems reported, but so what!?. With a host of features particularly for the price I paid and region free I'm happy and I know I have a non power faulty one as I got it when a new batch was issued....its faultless with exception to the Sky issue which is not really the fault of dmtech....

Dmtech are relatively quite a newcomer to the uk, so allowing for teething errors....I believe they will do well given time and whingers.....

( Anyone want a skoda! ?! :) )