1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dms 2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Werner, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    werner what is a realistic lead time for this machine should i order this evening? thanks

3. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have stock. Customers will start getting their systems during next week. If you order today, I see no reason on this planet why you wont be grinning like a cheshire cat next friday

4. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two final questions...

is next friday still realistic if i customise (i.e. add 512mb ram in the config option)

and, is the picture quality with the avermedia card at least equal to the PVR500MCE?

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well....gosh....
    lol
    it *does* take an extra 10 seconds to fit another piece of ram :D
    When I pop in to work on Monday I can confirm lead times etc, but I did have a chat with sales this morning and we are shipping units to customers starting next week. Numbers of sales have been good, but we have enough stock to cater for eventualities.

As I mentioned in the other thread earlier, we didnt evaluate the pvr500 so I have no experience to speak of regarding that tuner. The avermedia card does produce a sharper picture than the other tuners I have tested (ehome wonder, pvr250, pvr350, ati theater550pro and a plethora of "yum cha" no name brand cards) if you have a nice enough aerial. Dont try to plug in a set of set of bunny ears and expect to be wowed! (actually, this holds true for all pc tv tuners, but it needs to be mentioned) For composite/svideo input I was pretty impressed. There is a softness to the edges of tv pictures when using pvr cards, but this one had the least effect.

6. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any way to add on-site support for the DMS II?

7. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not that I am aware of through our web configurator. Stranger things have happened in the past, we're pretty flexible. Talk to sales on Monday if you wish and ask direct. I am sure you can select a different cpu too (we have used 3.6 em64t in the machine during eval) but it is not listed on the web configurator. Odd.

<edit> I'm out for the night and got some commitments tomorrow, so will only be able to catch up on this thread a bit on sunday. Enjoy the weekend folks

8. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Werner

Have taken the plunge and ordered the DMS 2. :thumbsup: So that I know what else to buy can you answer the following :lease: .

The PCPro review talks about the Lite-On SOHW-1663S which is a multiformat DVD writer - is that being fitted to the production models as on the Hi-grade site it only refers to dvd-/dvd-rw?

Also what cables are provided in the box?

Thanks
    Chris

9. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    multiformat dual layer writer.

let me try remember the cables...forgive me if I miss one out

1) power cord
    2) irblasters x 2
    3) composite cable
    4) 2 x rca audio cables (red/white)
    5) switchable 3 x rca+ svideo -->scart in/out adapter
    6) dvi-->vga convertor (for running dual analog monitors)
    7) gfx card--->svideo and composite lead
    8) fm aerial
    9) dvi--->dvi cable

I will edit this post on monday to confirm, I have a feeling there were also optical and coaxial audio cables, but my mind is a blank right now ;)

<edit 1> just remembered there is a modem lead also

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Werner

Is it possible to swap the graphics card from the x300 to te geforce 6600gt. As I want the achne for High Def use and maybe a game or 2.

Many thanks

11. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sorry, the graphics card is set in stone due to the way the connectors protrude out the rear of the machine.

12. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the 250W PSU

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Thanks for info. I have just seen the HI-GRADE DMS Xtreme 3200. Looks like what I need. Upgrades are very expensive, £100 for a 512meg upgrade and £230 for an extra 200 gig on a hard drive. Ouch... Why is it so much? It makes Dells upgrades look like a bargain.

14. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    250w psu isnt all that proprietary, but I have only seen 250w in that size, no bigger. In time, maybe somebody will come up with a higher capacity supply in that size, but for the time being regard it as being set in stone too.

Maybe I should explain.......from building the original DMS we got quite a lot of very useful feedback. At the time, it was one of the quietest machine you could spend money on, but we had enough discerning customers who desired something even quieter. ALL decisions we took when getting DMS2 running were based on the absolute lowest noise possible. Sure, a 6600gt would be nice, but they have small fans that make noise, totally unacceptable. 400w psu would be nice, but I am sure it wouldnt be silent. Mix enough of these "undesirables" together, and you end up at square one...too noisy.

For DMS2 we used the btx form factor, which is quiter than the old atx due to airflow considerations. We have 3 x80mm fans which provide ample cooling so the machine is cool to the touch everywhere on the case, even after extended running. Yet I honestly challenge anybody to tell me they can hear the fans running. It IS dead quiet. I know what 20dba sounds like, and I know what 30dba sounds like, and this is below 20dba as far as I am concerned.

And we can do 20dba, with no hot spots, and a 3.6ghz em64t prescott cpu. THAT is why pcpro put us on the A list.

15. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor, the DMS Xtreme uses the silverstone lc03 vfd case. Apart from that it is a normal pc. It is quite big, finished in piano black and would be better suited to people who want an av server somewhere. I wouldnt really say it is lounge friendly, due to the size and the fact that you can have any gfx card or multiple hdd's which end up making an audible machine.

Feel free to skip any upgrades and add them yourself. :thumbsup:

16. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Many thanks really looking forward to delivery.

Regards
    Chris

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Thanks for the reply Werner. I want the unit t be AMP sized to fit in my AV rack, I have a Optoma RD65 which is a 65 inch DLP rear pro high def set.

Could you guys install a gigabyte silent geforce 6600gt for me at an extra cost?

http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-NX66T128VP.htm#

Is it much more loulder than the DMS2? Cheers for the info on the upgrades. Can you fit a second hard drive, is there room?

18. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    amp sized, check!
    two hard drive, check!
    gigabyte silent 6600gt (thanks for spilling the beans...I was keeping quiet about that one, being passively cooled etc I have plans for it...) :D
    Eval card will be coming in this week, we need to take some measurements. If you want one fitted to the xtreme, it will be ok. Sales wont know what you are talking about yet though...the info will filter through to them during the week once we have ratified the card.

noise is a variable on that system. Depends what you fit into the case. We used a fan speed controlled psu, so it is quieter than most. The case has a rear 60mm exhaust fan, which isnt the quietest, but it is easily replaced or unplugged, as temps dont suffer too much. No, the DMS2 is still quieter.

<edit> you can find a useful review of the case here http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=silverstonelc03vfd_1
    They also have heaps of info on mods you can do to it in their forums (it is highly regarded amongst the members there)

19. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the big difference between the keyboard/mouse supplied on the artisan vs. the DMS II, apart from the RF/IR issue.

20. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon can probably give details on the artisan keyboard, but I believe it has a joystick type mouse, while the dms2 uses a trackball mouse.

However, they can both be removed and binned if you dont like them and replace with something better. Bear in mind I have a mce pc and would be hard pressed to find the keyboard right now in amongst everything...I use the remote exclusively, and for any maintenance tasks I just use remote desktop from my main pc.

21. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The RF/IR is the main issue, but I believe the artisan to of a much better quality. Going off the keyb in the DMS version 1 which I presume they will keep for the DMS version 2 it is ok, but a bit plasticky. The IR is a real pain though.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Thanks for the help werner. I am looking to buy my HTPC in few weeks time.

23. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same keyboard, but different receiver. On dms1 the receiver was ps2 and built inside the machine. On dms2 the receiver is usb and is on a nice long dongle wire. That way, you can put your machine where it looks best, but still place the receiver where it will work 100%. On dms1, the receiver was where the machine was, which made some problems for folks who have their machines in closed cabinets, but also made for a tidy install (no dongles)....all swings and roundabouts... :)

<edit> added three pictures, one of the front of the system with the flap open and labelled the connectors, and one of the rear of the system showing all connectors labelled and one showing the front in normal use, panel closed

Attached Files:

24. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received confirmation that we WILL be building the machines the first few days of next week, so customer machines will be delivered starting from around thursday.

25. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When do you guys expect a twin digital option?

26. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...did you choose a case that looks like some old VCR?

27. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D odd, I was over at the volvo forums earlier today and they really liked it :D
    Seriously though, twin digital may be an option in the coming months, but for now we are sticking with twin analogue.
    The case design is obviously a matter of personal opinion, but the fit and finish is far better than any old vcr you have ever seen.

28. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so order monday 9am, possibly receive friday? :thumbsup:

29. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *nods head

30. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's higrade's support like incidentally?