DMRHS2 DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mantis, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a relative newcomer to this game :rolleyes: I am thinking of buying a DVD recorder and the Panasonic Model above appears to be spot on, if pricey.

Has anyone heard anything about them good or bad ?

Any comments gratefully received :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The unit in question is a top unit. If you goto the What Video & Widescreen Entertainment home page you'll find a review online of this recorder:
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/

3. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that :)

I have just read the review and it rather good. I just have to find somewhere to get it at the keenest price. :)

I am going surfing !

4. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    And just to add the mix check out the Panasonic DMR-E100 which has better spec and some new features than the HS2.

5. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yonderblue Thanks for that :)

Price a little beyond what I was wanting to spend but very nice bit of kit :)

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At £599 the HS2 is very good value.I have just got one and the instruction book is going to take many reads to digest.Bit annoyed at the lack of thumbnail on -R discs.
    Rasczak,I'm still finding my feet with it so maybe you can explain some things.The book tells you about loads of neat tricks,but never explains what they are for.
    Dividing programmes.If you do this then dub to -R ,does dividing after editing show up on a -R disc as 2 separate titles?
    I have a 3 hour block recorded and edited into a playlist.But when I go to "dubbing" ,only the unedited 3 hour block shows up on the list.What am I missing?
    Only other negative is that NTSC stuff played in PAL 60 unless you go through the annoying switch over each time.

7. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Morning Phelings!

Glad you're enjoying your new toy!

Playlists:
    Only a RAM / HDD thing; they do not transfer to dvd-r.
    When you transfer onto dvd-r, chapters are automatically created at 5 minute intervals; there is no way to force create a chapter point.

Dividing:
    It does what it says; makes 1 recording into 2 seperate recordings that will transfer as two seperate recordings; remember to use "Partial Erase" to remove adverts (there is no "undo" either!

NTSC
    Will have to check when I get home; my NTSC discs play without any change over (although that may be due to my TV's capabilities rather than the HS2); will check.

The manual is indeed extensive, but most of the HS2's operations can be worked out without reference, which is good.

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC discs play fine without any trouble,but they are in PAL 60-not NTSC,you have to switch the format over.
    When I did an NTSC dvd onto the HDD I had to switch it over.Then when I returned to Sky+ dubbing,I had to change it back to PAL.They should have an "auto" setting.But its no big deal really.Still can find no use for a RAM disc at all,and could never be without Sky+,but together,Sky+ and HS2 are an excellent combination

9. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    From what you say, you're linking up an external DVD player to record your NTYSC disc onto the HDD; in that case, yep, fully agree, it should be automatic...

Like we said last week, RAM is indeed a bit superfluous when you have a sparkling large empty hard drive; however in a month's time, when you have 19 different recording scattered around your drive, archiving some onto RAM will suddenly be quite useful; remember transferring to RAM is lossless; it's a perfect archive medium that frees up your hard drive.

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats an interesting point that I need to clarify.You say that transfer to RAM is lossless,but surely if you transfer a 3 hour show to RAM,you have the same loss in quality as you would with +R/-R.
    I am only using the HS2 for non Sky satellite stuff,and Sky stuff that needs editng for archiving.Standard watch and wipe remains with Sky+.
    This "dividing programmes" is something I am trying to suss out.
    Now if I take a 3hr 15 min block.Then I edit out the 15 min of ads as I create a playlist.Can I divide this.
    Basically I want to be able to record 2 films that run one after the other-then transfer them to -R in one dubbing process,but to have them listed as 2 separate programmes.Is this possible?

11. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Point by point:

Transfer to RAM is lossless as long as you transfer using the high speed RAM dubbing option. This transfers at the same quality without re-encoding. However, it means that you can only transfer a recording that will fit on the RAM in its current state (ie a 2 hour recording in SP mode is fine, or 1 hour in XP).
    A 2 hour XP recording won't fit, and you'd have to transfer by converting to SP.

Playlists etc:
    Now, I'm making an assumption here; apologies if its the wrong one.
    I have never bothered using playlists; they are only useful for playback of RAM / HDD recordings and will not transfer onto dvd-r.
    To remove adverts, use the "Partial Erase" function from Direct Navigator. This allows you to remove the ads, bit by bit, without any playlists or dividing.
    This is important, re transferring to disc / ram, as using Partial erase shortens the overall recording length; a 2 hr 20 min recording suddenly becomes under 2 hours when all the ads are removed.

Dividing:
    This simply divides a recording into 2 recordings, each with their own title and listed on the disc as 2 seperate programmes.
    EG:
    (Showing my tragic side) Sky from 6pm on a Sunday night:
    record 4 episodes of the Simpsons with a Futurama stuck in the middle as one continuous recording (= 2 & 1/2 hours).

Use Partial Erase to remove the adverts and the surplus episode of Futurama, (now recording is around 88 mins).
    Use "Divide" to split the programme into 4 lots of 22 mins for each episode.
    Then I can title each programme (if I'm really bored).
    Then use Dubbing to transfer all four seperate programmes onto a dvd-r discs in one go.
    After dubbing, I can title the discs and finalise (finalising inserts 5 minute chapter breaks into each programme).
    Finished disc has disc title, and all four episodes individually titled.

Don't know if you're using Playlists as a carry over from the Philips machine? Anyway; hope the above example helps...

CHeers,

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We seem to be doing the same thing in different ways.
    I have recorded a few 3 hour blocks from satellite,as well as using the Sky+ copy function to transfer 3 separate programmes over to HDD overnight.
    Creating the playlist is pressing "start" at the spot you want to be the start,then when you reach ads you press "end".This creates a scene.You do this all the way through the programme,and with ITV you end up with a 50 minute show with 4 scenes,all running without ads.Then when the playlist is playing,I press "dubbing",and it automatically restarts the programme,runs it,transfers to -R in FR mode and stops automatically.
    When I tried the route you are taking,and started to use "partial erase",I could not tell how this was any different to the way I was using playlist,apart fro PE making the erasure non retrievable,where playlist editing leaves the unedited block available if needed.
    I took my 3 hour block,divided it,then ran it to -R hoping for 2 separate programmes-no luck.So I still cannot see what the dividing is for,unless this is fir use with RAM only

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sat here trying to see what I am doing wrong and think I may have worked it out.But I will report back tomorrow.
    Hooray-finally sussed it.It appears Playlist does the same but you need to use DN to divide and use PL to record if its just one item

14. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    That's about it; Partial Erase does indeed remove the ads entirely, without any option of retrieval. It therefore also shortens the recording time overall, meaning you don't waste disc space on stuff you don't want to watch.
    Now I didn't think playlists transferred to DVD-R; only to RAM, hence I've never bothered using it... I'll have a play tonight...

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Phelings - sorry for not replying - I've been in Plymouth (and still am - sitting in a very uncomfortable internet cafe at the moment :( ). If you still have questions at the weekend (which Wellsi hasn't answered) I'll post try and help then.

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the DN a few times today and I am surprised you guys never made more of an issue of it when we were having our war of words.Its great.
    I am looking forward to the latest series of Frasier on Paramount in a couple of weeks,and I am going to enjoy transferring 6 episodes in one go without having to sit through the ads.If they could add all this editing functionality to Sky+-wow,what a machine it would be.
    Rasczak,you mentioned on another thread about RAM never losing due to its 50% market share in the US.But the same may have been said about Betamax 2 or 3 years after their format war started.
    What are you doing in Plymouth?Business or pleasure?

17. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think Direct Navigator would fall under the term "Fantastic playback and editing features" that Razza & I were harping on about on a daily basis!!! Glad you're enjoying it!

Re Betamax; well, as we've said, not quite a straight comparison, as dvd+ discs will play in most players, unlike Betemax in VHS players.
    However, weren't Sony the main pushers of Betamax? (And they've just jumped ship to "dual" format; once bitten twice shy?)

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The situation is somewhat different. Firstly there was the fact that Betamax was incompatible with VHS and vice versa. Given the explosion in the video rental market back then ONE format would have to win - clearly that isn't the case with DVDRs as they all play commercial DVDs. Media will continue to be available for all of them due to PC usage as well as set-top usage. Secondly where Sony went wrong with Betamax is they didn't contract out. JVC (designers of VHS) allowed a whole host of secondary producers to make and sell VCRs. Sony didn't until it was too late. Therefore everyone else started making VHS machines and Sony's grip slipped. By contrast RAM has a very wide base of major producers: Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi, LG, Iomega etc This wide base ensures it's survival.

As to whether Betamax really did 'die' is another mooting point. The last Betamax machine was produced end of 2001.

Business. I don't believe in suffering for pleasure.

19. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As both Wellsi and I seem not to know,maybe Rasczak could explain the different purposes for Playlist and Direct Navigator.They both seem to do pretty much the same,although PL seems to be for things that do not need dividing.But DN will do the whole job.What is the difference between the 2?

20. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My understanding is that Playlists is a HDD & RAM function only; it allows you to hide unwanted bits of a recording and set up chapters and the like. It also allows you to specifiy which bits of a recording plays in which order. These HDD & RAM recordings features will not transfer onto dvd-r when you dub.

Direct Navigator allows a host of functions, including track delete, track divide and partial erase (but not chapter insertion); all of which transfer onto the dvd-r as well.