DMREX75 v PVR

proffpuff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Im new to all of this and need your opinions, I have bought a Denon AVR 2307 and five B&W speakers and a PX60 panny now I dont know whether to get a DMREX75 or a PVR and a DVD player. I live in a flat and cannot get Sky+ at the moment only pikey sky. The reason I was looking at the Panny DVD was I could run the tv using just the DVD remote. Any suggestions welcome as I am not rich enough to make a mistake .
P.S which speaker cable do you all use.

Some points on the differences between PVR's and DVDR's which may help your decision making:

A PVR [ Personal Video Recorder ] is a hard disk recorder that can typically only record from its aerial input.

As the recordings do not have to be prepared in a format suitable for laying onto a DVD, there is no need to decode the data stream from the transmissions.
They are recorded in the same form as received thus when played back , they are effectively as the original broadcast quality.

DVDR's differ in that they require the data to be encoded into a form suitable for laying onto a DVD.

Because they have an internal encoder, they can accept input from other devices... such as a VCR, Satbox or a PVR as well as having the ability to record from their own tuners.

The have the obvious additional facilities of being able to play disks and to archive programmes onto removable disks.

The bottom-line as far as I am concerned is that PVRs generally require an additional device so as to archive data that they contain. I don't have a DVD player, so I don't know what I am missing, but with a decent DVD-R and a PVR you are pretty much covered.

I've got a DMREX75 and it gives you the best of both worlds, acting as a freeview PVR for recording tv to harddisk, an excellent DVD-/+R/RW/DL Drive for archiving, and a great DVD player for watching movies. It also upscales SD DVD's to HD resolution when you use the HDMI output.

The only problem I have found with it is that the HDMI output doesn't like my Thor HDC100 HDMI Switch, but if it's fed straight into the TV it's great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom