DMREX75 - Record from Sky in RGB??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnlg, Aug 28, 2006.

1. johnlg

johnlg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to taake my SOny 525 back and have a Panny DMREX75. Can anyone confirm recording Sky will be RGB with this?

Cheers

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Yes - The EX75 will intake RGB to record. [ and will also pass-thru RGB from AV2 to AV1 ]

3. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The DVD can do it. I don't know if your Sky box will output RGB for recording though. My Freeview boxes don't.

4. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If I remember correctly, sky boxes output rgb so long as you enter the picture services menu and tell them to. The rgb output is on the scart socket marked ‘tv output’ on the skybox. The scart socket marked vcr out is composite only.

So you have to connect the dvd recorder to the ‘tv out’ scart socket on the back of a skybox, to record rgb signals from a skydigibox.

5. rcoll

rcoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    and dont forget when recording from SKY, dont press the "TV" button on the sky remote during the recording. Pressing TV will switch the scart output on the sky box from RGB to composite. If you have set up you recorder to accept RGB only you will get a black screen with sound. It took me a while to work out what happened after i was getting many blank recordings:rolleyes:

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Have you any idea of the point of this peculiarity?

7. rcoll

rcoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

besides being really annoying, i can see why sky does this. My old (4 years +) box and remote did exactly the same thing. The only thing i ever used it for was to demo the difference between RGB and Composite when viewing through the scart, press "TV" composite picture press "SKY" RGB picture back on , repeat as necessary.

If anybody know why this is the case i would be curious to find out. As i said i have lost a few recording becasue i pressed "TV" on the Sky remote to allow me to power off my TV, not realising that the RGB signal also switched off and resulted in a blank (with sound) recording :mad:

8. zappo

zappo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I thought both Sky Scarts output RGB as long as it is set in the menu. Is that documented somewhere?

9. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The skyboxes I use are made by Pace. They only output rgb on the tv out scart socket which is mentioned at the back of the instruction book under 'rear panel connectors'.

10. User101

User101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou!! This has been driving me mad trying to discover what was causing the odd blank recording. I will never use the sky remote to switch off the tv again.