DMRES20 Time remaining display?

T

TroyEade

Hi,

My Panasonic S75 has just kicked the bucket and I'm taking this chance to upgrade to a DVD recorder (to archive my videos).

I'm looking to purchase the Panasonic DMRES20D from Richer Sounds this weekend however I have one question, ideally for owners of this DVD recorder. Is it possible with this unit to show the time remaining when watching an original DVD (i.e. hired or purchased DVD) please? My S75 has this facility however I have been unable to get a definitive answer either from Richer Sounds or Panasonic (UK).

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Troy

Searcher2

Just had a look at mine... I had tried to find that feature before but couldn't find it. The only thing you seem to be able to display is the time and the time elapsed - but not the time remaining.

ROYOLD

Novice Member
DVD recorders do not have the many features found in a dedicated PLAYER. You will not find any zoom facility in the ES20D either.

kenfowler3966

They should have a status button or similar that cycles through various on screen data such as bit rate for recording and playback, and give a visual indication of how far through the recording the playback has reached

B

bernie_pt

to ROYOLD:

my TOSHIBA RD-XS34 recorder does have zoom... to enlarge and to reduce, even live broadcasts!! Also it does have status indications (selectable/different for OSD and front display).
:D :D Sorry to be a bit OT, but couldn't resist...:D :D

Searcher2

bernie_pt said:
to ROYOLD:

my TOSHIBA RD-XS34 recorder does have zoom... to enlarge and to reduce, even live broadcasts!! Also it does have status indications (selectable/different for OSD and front display).
:D :D Sorry to be a bit OT, but couldn't resist...:D :D

Ah...but I would think most people buying the ES20 want Freeview... and don't want to spend over £300 on a DVD recorder! I'd rather have Freeview than know how much time there is left on a film (surely it spoils it a bit if you know when it is going to end!?)

Nascar Dog

Novice Member
Searcher2 said:
Ah...but I would think most people buying the ES20 want Freeview... and don't want to spend over £300 on a DVD recorder! I'd rather have Freeview than know how much time there is left on a film (surely it spoils it a bit if you know when it is going to end!?)
Freeview shmeeview:D

Searcher2

Nascar Dog said:
Freeview shmeeview:D

Oh - most ES20 owners wouldn't realise that a near silent machine is also one of it's plus points too! Cough, cough (cf RD-XS34). But they are for completely different markets - Freeview allows you to have an EPG making setting recordings so much easier...plus it has an analogue tuner if you feel the urge. At around £140 the price is half that of the XS34. If you don't need a hard drive and want to get rid of that Freeview set top together with it's remote the ES20 makes good sense.

sjw

Mine does, a HS2, must depend on the model
Yes, Panasonic went backwards.. :confused:
(surely it spoils it a bit if you know when it is going to end!?)
Erm, no. It really must be one of those things that if you haven't had it then you don't miss it. It is so good when it's getting late and you don't know if there's 10 minutes or 40 to go. Bed or not..
And watching making of's, extras. You can easily see if you're in for a 2 minute special or a 45 minute jobby..

Searcher2

OK.. I agree with sometimes it is useful... but I have found that the ES20 won't play some of my DVD-R's so I have decided to keep my old DVD player which does have that facility for special occasions. If you find another Freeview recorder that does display the time remaining in this price bracket let us know... maybe it will be the ES25 when it comes out?

J

JohnDaddyo

wow, all of you own the DMR-ES20 ? Fantastic!

May I ask if I am able to create thumbnail chapters after copying, finalizing a tape from my camcorder?
I used a DVD-R and although it did create 24 chapters, automatically I guess chapters, there was only one thumbnail. huhhh? I never could see the way to preset how many chapters, how far apart etc.

Searcher2

JohnDaddyo said:
wow, all of you own the DMR-ES20 ? Fantastic!

May I ask if I am able to create thumbnail chapters after copying, finalizing a tape from my camcorder?
I used a DVD-R and although it did create 24 chapters, automatically I guess chapters, there was only one thumbnail. huhhh? I never could see the way to preset how many chapters, how far apart etc.

If you use DVD-R then it automatically creates chapters every 5 minutes. So in answer to your question - 'No you can't'. However, if you use DVD-RAM you can insert chapters wherever you want and choose whatever thumbnails you want.

J

JohnDaddyo

Thank you for your reply! So it's sounds like the ram discs give the edit options. before, during and after you burn ?
what must be the drawback. if any? cost or incompatibility ?
Thanks for your help for sure ! I have almost 3O 8mm tapes to convert from hrne movies. I don't see myseft using fn TV though.

Searcher2

Yes - drawbacks are cost and compatibility! At the moment a lot of DVD players won't play DVD-RAM... neither will many DVD Rewriters - though this is gradually changing. Cost is also significantly higher than DVD-R. Amazon is currently the cheapest at £10.76 for 10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...259656/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/026-9435598-8806047

DVD-RAM is ideal for time slip recording and editing. One option is to edit your movies on your PC and copy them back to DVD-R.

I have been wondering though - as I like things as simple as possible - can you edit programs on the ES20 e.g. add thumbnails etc. on DVD-RAM and then just do a Nero copy DVD from that DVD-RAM to DVD-R to retain the thumbnails and play in any DVD player?

I think there are better topics under which to discuss this though.

J

JohnDaddyo

Thank you very much for replying. I "thought" I had replied back from my PDA, but I see it never did post.

So with DVD RAM you can create your chapters and have thumbnails etc, but what is the "drawback" if any? Does DVD RAM not work on all machines?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom