Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DMRES10 - EXT link keeps stopping a recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bouncy Pete, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Bouncy Pete

Bouncy Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought my first DVD recorder, a DMRES10. Although I'm generally happy with the unit overall I'm having a bit of problem.

I have the recorder connected to a Echostar T-101 freeview box via AV2 and I find that some recordings stop part way through recording. When this happens the EXT Link light comes on so I suspect the recorder is seeing a false signal from the freeview box. This has even happened when I've simply pressed the record button without setting the timer on the recorder or the freeview box.

Anyone any ideas how to prevent the recorder seeing a spurious timer signal from the freeview box?

2. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have also accidentally pressed the external link button on the remote control of my ES10 and that has also interfered with my recordings. On the remote control, the "EXT LINK" button is placed next to the "TIMER", "REC MODE" & "ERASE" buttons. It's very easy to press the "EXT LINK" button by mistake when you want to erase, change record mode or timer record. It's happened to me a few times. I think the button placement could be better as I have not had similar problems with my E55 remote. You have to take extra care not to accidentally press external link on the remote as it will interfere with recordings. Alternatively, you could contact Panasonic UK and ask if they would provide you with an E55 remote instead. Someone in Panasonic Europe (who doesn't know what ease of use means) changed the button placement from the original Japanese/US design to accomodate the ext. link button.

3. Bouncy Pete

Bouncy Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I double checked that I hadn't accidentally pressed the EXT Link button before I posted this by placing both the TV an DVD remotes on a table and it still managed to switch to the external timer mode.

I rang Panasonic today and the told me that they haven't experienced this before. They said the machine must be faulty and I should return to the shop.

4. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First recording was ok then on the second one I noticed the timer had somehow rest and started again - then noticed the ext link light was on - anyone else had this and sorted it out?
    regards

5. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strictly speaking the recording pauses, starts a new title and continues with the timer reset. I am recording off a sky+ amstrad box with 160GB upgrade and do not normally use the ext link setting.
    Regards

6. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you return it and get it replaced and is the problem solved? I have the same problem which I thought I had cured by using Ext Link 2 not 1 although the Sky+ box does not send out a signal as far as I am aware. It has just happened again and I have rechecked my scart connections and am trying again.
    Any wisdom gratefully received.
    Thanks
    W

7. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact Panasonic, there is firmware fix for "ext link" false trigger for ES10+EH50

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    I had an EH50 a few weeks ago which went back - Panasonic told me there was no problem with it and therefore Quote: "how can there be a firmware fix if we are not aware of a problem"

took it back and got an 85H instead.

Gary

9. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic "technical support" claim no problems reported, no firmware fixes etc and referred me to a local repair agent.
    If anyone has got the firmware fix please let me know where you got it from and whether it helped.
    Many thanks
    W

10. Bouncy Pete

Bouncy Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to know too. I'm on my second machine. The second machine has worked perfectly for about 3 weeks but it too has started switching to EXT Link of its own accord.

I'm considering buying another Freeview box just to make sure it not causing the problem. It's worth stating that when I plugged the first DVD recorder in for the very first time it had the EXT Link light on and frequently played up straight away. I cetainally didn't have 3 week when it didn't switch to EXT link.

11. robieboy

robieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi.
    I read with interest,as I have a similar problem.I have not got a Satalight box or Video recorder connected to the AV2 Scart on the rear,it is empty. My Satalight box and Video are connected directly to the telly via AV 1 and AV2. My DMRE-ES10 is only connected to the Telly AV4 socket as it is wired for RGB,but I find that after I have carried out a Video Plus timer recording, I go to switch of the timer button and find that the Ext Link light is on,so I switch that of first, then the timer button and all is well.(A bit anoying as I have not got to any of this with my DMRE 20 DVD Recorder) Also I find that If I leave a DVD-Ram disc in the recorder in the turned off position so as to start instant record after turning the recorder on as the manual suggests it can do. The recorder will turn it's self on at any time,with no telly or video on.So I now do not bother to leave a disk in the recorder,it means having to revert back to the earlier way of the DMRE 20,which as you know is slow to start off as the recorder has to read the disck before any action is done.
    Another niggle is that the manual suggests connecting the recorder to the AV2 socket of the telly to get Q link fuction,but the AV2 socket is not wired for RGB,only SVHS.That means the DVD quality is degrading to SVHS if connected to the AV2 socket.Why did they not wire this connection for RGB like the other two.
    Apart from these observations the picture quality is good.

roieboy

12. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    its not your freeview box!!!! its a fault with the recorder - take it back! i got my 85H because i couldn't trust the other EH50's they had. i'm sure there are some out there that work but finding one is tricky.

Gary

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Scart cable snip Pin 8 should sort it :)

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i think i might have to wash my hands of this thread, members ask for advice so you tell them based on personal experiance of the problem. In short various new Panasonic DVD recorders HAVE firmware problems regarding the EXT LINK function but some members seem to want to buy new equipment to make sure its the recorder. Do a search and you will find a few threads about the issue. THE RECORDERS ARE FAULTY!! It's your choice but if you want something unreliable and faulty under your telly then thats up to you who have them.

my advice take them back and get replacements.

all the best guys.

Gary

15. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all.

I have commented on this issue before as well.
    I sent my first EH50 back for exactly the same problem, it was replaced, and this one seems fine.

There is a fairly simple test you can do.

With the machine on (ie out of standby and monitoring AV2 Sky box signal, whatever)
    Just leave it and wait.

If affected it will probably start recording from AV2 with "EXTLINK" lit within 30minutes of HDD SLP appearing in the display. In the case of the ES10 I can't be sure but obviously ensure you leave a disk in the machine.

You will of course need to press the "EXTLINK" button to get the machine to respond again.

Panasonic have obviously made a serious error in their firmware and typically are not owning up to it. However when a machine goes back to them, it is returned mysteriously fixed, this seems to be typical of the way customers are treated in the UK.
    This fault is known in Germany with the EH52 however, and they have even published the firmware on the web for this machine.

Pete

16. TUT

TUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Here is the New Panasonic DMR-EH50 Firmware which you can download from the Panasonic German site @ http://www.produkte.panasonic.de/pr...&m=DMR-EH52EG-S
    This is ment for the DMR-EH52 but i guess it is the same as the DMR-EH50
    So use the file at your own risk.

17. Valley

Valley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have an NTL box connected to AV2 on my EH10 and I'd never had this problem until I decided to mess about with the settings.

AV2 had been set to EXTLINK 1 so out of interest I changed it to EXTLINK 2 and sure enough within a couple of hours it decided to start recording and the EXTLINK light was on, obviously I changed it back to EXTLINK 1 and left the machine turned on with a disk in for 24 hours and didn't use the machine for anything else in that time and it behaved perfectly.

I recommend people make sure it's set to EXTLINK 1 and see how they go on.

18. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you actually then flash the recorder with the new firmware?
    regards
    W

19. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    before using the german version, please be aware that i am about to receive a disk including the UK version of the update for a eh-50 for the same problem.
    I was about to send it back for a new unit when av-sales asked me if i wanted a firmware update instead, supplied direct from panasonic UK.

Sounds like an admission on the problem.

Doc

20. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. wiggy

wiggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone tried the german firmware upgrade for the ES10 yet?
    Regards
    W

22. wizard5353

wizard5353

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people,

I just took my old DMRE55EBS back to the shop I got it from as it started to play up while recording and was offered a used replacement which turned out to have parts missing so that had to go back and then I was offered the next model up which is the DMRES10 and wow was I pleased. First week of using it was great been recording quite a few things off the Sky box using an RF setup but alas I too am having this problem also. Mine is set to EXTLINK 1 so it does not seem to matter which it is set to by the looks of things. The odd thing is it worked great for the first week but then a few days later; bang it jumps to ext link once in every 24 clock hours no matter what.

I’m glad to see others have the same problem, not meant in a bad way but at least I know that there really is a problem. I think it's time to start hounding Panasonic for an update. I'm very unhappy with Panasonic, I've always trusted their products up till now but three recorders all with faults in less than 9 months does not fill me with confidence!

Has anyone got a point of contact and a name at Panasonic? It helps if we all bug to same people to get them to action an investigation in to the matter.

-NJ

23. marklfc77

marklfc77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a DMRES10 not so long ago and haven't had the external link problem as yet, maybe i just haven't used it enough as yet, but anyway after reading a few post about this problem I thought I'd send an e-mail to panasonic and just ask them If there was a problem with the recorder,I mentioned that i'd seen a few posts on different forums about this. I asked if it was all the machines or just a few and how would you know if it was a batch etc. Got my reply today and all it said was disk is in the post!!
    I also asked which where the best dvd-rw disks to get but they didn't answer this.

24. Zebadiah Twine

Zebadiah Twine
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many people had the ext-link problem, but I haven't heard anyone say they still have the problem after ungrading the firmware.

I use Imation DVD-RW and have not had a single failed recording.

25. beachbum

beachbum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can I check what firmware I have installed in my Panasonic DMRES10. (It's only 1 week old)

BB

26. Zebadiah Twine

Zebadiah Twine
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can't. All you can do is put the latest update disc in your recorder and if it's up to date it will tell you.

27. w4yne

w4yne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just bought a DMR ES10 but haven`t noticed the problem mentioned yet.
    My unit is multi region so if I ran the upgrade disc would it reset it to region 2 ?

28. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  29. Zebadiah Twine

Zebadiah Twine
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for this one which definitely works.
    Panasonic Update

Unzip the file, burn it to a cd and do the following:

- Insert the disc into the player
    - The unit will momentarily switch itself off (showing BYE) and then on again.
    - The machine then starts to upgrade the software with the display showing the various section codes that are being checked.
    - After the machine has finished it will eject the disc and the display will show: -

DRIVE>>>>UPD OK>>>>MAIN>>>>UPD OK

- Remove the disc and power off the unit and once powered down remove the plug from the electrical socket and reconnect.

30. beachbum

beachbum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well if anyone can answer this? :lease:

BB