Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DMREH60D Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TB, Oct 19, 2005.

1. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all, busy lurker who needs some questions answered.

Did a quick trawl of the boards yesterday but couldn't see the answers I need about the Panny DMREH60D.

Any help gratefully received:

1) Can I record from the internal freeview tuner while watching NTL (RGB) looping through the scart sockets?

2) Can I record from NTL (going in via SCART1) and watch Freeview (RGB) outputting via SCART2?

3) Does this machine have any known problems with NTL?

4) I assume it records RGB in? None of this S-Video only nonsense from 12-18 months ago? (I'm a bit out of touch at the moment).

5) I know I can record from Freeview whilst watching a disc but can record from NTL (via SCART1) while watching a disc?

Work about 50 meters from a RicherSounds so once I have the answers I'm off to get it.

Thanks for your help,

TB

2. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can record from the internal Freeview and "Loop" the scart through.
    I have been trying to see if this can be done for a long time as i also fancied the EH60.

Panasonic say it is not possible to Loop and watch and i can find no mention of this in the manual.

I have come from Tosh XS34 where you could do all of the things you want but the tuner is Analogue... OH for a Tosh XS34 with Digital tuner and a less noise cooling fan.

AB-P

3. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response...this scuppers my plans.

There's not a great deal of point in me having the freeview element if I can't loop SKY/NTL through the SCARTs while recording from it!

I guess I'll go for the cheaper non freeview option, I'd consider the Samsung 725 but it doesn't have the "pause live tv" option which I'd use all the time.

One question, is SCART loopthrough an issue when you are copying from HDD to disc as well?

It's complex stuff this DVD recorder choosing, why can't there be a machine that does everything????

4. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only had my EH60D for less than 1 week, but I think that you can do pass through while recording but only for timer recordings. I.e. if you are using the machine to view Freeview and then hit "record", you can't watch AV2 (but you can watch the HDD). But if the machine is in timer mode, passthrough works and continues to work even when the machine wakes up to record from the internal tuner.

I will try to double check if you like (unless someone else can confirm)

--Nick

5. IanUK

IanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nickt,

I'd be interested in knowing this as well, I also have a NTL box and would be using the machine in this way a lot if I bought one, if you could test this it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

6. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got this machine (yesterday) and have NTL looped through with scarts. I'll also check tonight regarding the recording query... Just about managed to work out how to record to the hard drive in time for Lost on E4! It was close though...

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Ah but you had more time than you imagined. It's repeated on E4+1 one hour later and the signal strength on E4+1 is better cos its on a different mux to E4.

8. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Though I've noticed that often E4+1 has lipsync problems (on another Freeview box too so it's them not my machines) which E4 doesn't.... Maybe just my local transmitter though?

9. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just confirmed that while recording from the internal digital tuner using the timer, the RGB signal from my second freeview box passes through fine.

--Nick

10. IanUK

IanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great :)

I have one question if anyone here who owns one knows - can it do Chase Play with -RW discs as well as DVD-Ram or is it only dvd ram that can do chase play on this model ?

Its no big deal, but I'd like to know how many DVD-Ram discs to buy (as DVD-RW are cheaper it seems)

Many thanks

Ian

11. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Top stuff indeed.

Could you confirm whether you can watch the internal freeview via the SCART while recording your external freeview (or in my case NTL)?

If you can do both then I may well be back on track.

Appreciate you reporting back, it's what makes these forums so good.

Thanks

12. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only on DVD-RAM (and of course on the HDD too!). Don't forget that according to the specs, any part of a DVD-RW can stand being rerecorded on about 1,000 times, whereas for DVD-RAM it's 100,000 times! DVD-RAM is far more flexible for dubbing (copying to and from the HDD) too, with widescreen and (silent) high speed recording available for it - the EH60D can still record and play back on the HDD at the same time as it dubs too (when using DVD-RAM).

13. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So,

Lets just clarify this.

If I loop my Sky+ Into AV2 then Out of AV1 to the TV as in the manual i can watch my Sky+ as long as the EH60 is set to AV2 using the "Input Select" on the remote.

Then if I leave it this way and I programme the EH60D to record something off either of its tuners with the Timer Record Function.

Can I continue to watch Sky being looped through SCART. Does the EH60D need to be turned OFF in Timer mode or can I leave it turned ON?

If I can Loop and record I will go and buy one but I would love it if someone can clarify what the procedure is and exactly note down how it is achieved.

Many Thanks

AB-P

14. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't believe that this is possible - you can only watch what you are recording in this case. I have tried but to no avail (which is not the same thing, of course!)

--Nick

15. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sat here in front of my EH60D going through your queries - it's a learning experience for me too!!

I've got NTL looped through the EH60 with scart and also the EH60 connected to the tv with component leads for prog scan...

Correct. If the EH60D is not turned on, loop through works just fine also.

Just got the EH60D recording BBC1 through it's freeview reveiver to the HDD, also sat here watching Sky 1 through the loop through at the same time, so yes you can. To set the timer, the EH60D turns itself off just before it starts recording (if you don't do it manually). You can however turn it back on during recording to watch another recorded programme off the HDD of watch a DVD. On or off, it matters not, the EH60 will sort itself out.

It's a great machine - I'm well chuffed with it! Hope this helps make your mind up...

:thumbsup:

16. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would need to be in timer mode for the recording to start (which is almost off). But even in timer mode (whether recording has started or not) the passthrough works.

--Nick

17. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur with NickT, it's not possible. If the unit is recording something you can't change the channels etc. As mentioned before though, playback of either HDD or DVD is no problem as is using external (NTL/Sky) loop through...

:)

18. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HTML:
    I concur with NickT, it's not possible. If the unit is recording something you can't change the channels etc.
    Hmmm shame. The ability to record Sky while watching Freeview would have been tops.

Most of what I watch is on Sky, most of what the missus watches is on Freeview - and she's the boss so we'd need to record my stuff.

So the only benefit I'm getting by having freeview (over a STB) is the PVR element - That's quite a premium for a one box solution.

19. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A shame indeed. It works fine the other way round - recording freeview and watching sky/ntl as mentioned, but the boss is the boss - I think you're scuppered...

:thumbsdow

Unless you got another freeview box, but then you're adding boxes to boxes...

20. "spirit"

"spirit"

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    luckily I have another freeview stb at home so if recording from external source (by "sky" here we've been refering to being plugged into the 2nd scart) in my case digital cable, & not being able to watch freeview (if I've understood correctly?) is not a pain (though I'm not sure it quite makes sence seeing as this DMREH60D is supposed to have 2 tuners, digital freeview & another analogue, unlike the Sony RDR-HXD 710/910s which supposedly just has freeview?!) I do have a further question about another source coming into the RF input, which could be another aerial/split off the same (used for freeview) before it goes into the unit (is this necessary tho?) or maybe analogue cable or something that has no scart.. could you record off this any different (I believe its possible, much like from scart2 or DV/i-link, albeit not digital, maybe like the other analogue "composite" inputs?) & watch freeview, or is this similarly not possible? To summarise is the only thing you can do (I suspect because the tuner inside is somekind of hybrid single tuner that does both freeview & digital but not quite act as if proper dual tuners like it pretends to be in certain circumstances?) is watch content from whichever of the dvdr/HD isn't used to record the non freeview source as if live? What about recording a freeview channel on one mux & viewing another from same? (Obviously not a different mux otherwise it would really need to be a true dual freeview tuner!) Any other combination of gotcha's anyone come up with?;-) Thanx in advance for advice any guru/owners can offer!

21. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sorry if its answered elsewhere but when you record off the internal freeview tuner - does it name the recording?

22. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you get the name and the date.

--Nick