Dmre500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by darran1977, Dec 31, 2004.

1. darran1977

darran1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got the Panasonic DMRE500? I have been thinking about buying a dvd recorder for about 2 yrs now and like the look of this. My main aim in the begining is to copy the hundreds of VHS tapes I have to DVD, one thing I don't quite understand is that VHS tapes are generally 3 hrs long whilst a DVD will be 1hr 20 in the top recording mode, I guess if I select another mode it won't really matter as the quality will keep the original of the VHS - am I right? Also can I copy a VHS tape to the HD to then edit?

2. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon 3 hrs onto a DVD will be pretty close to VHS, give or take, i copy VHS to HD then edit it np, if it doesn't need editing copy it straight to DVD using FR and then you wont loose any quality by going via the HD, that was on my HS2 i haven't tried it on my E95 yet put if you set it to fast dub before you record it, it might not loose any quality via HD when you edit then fast dub, of course you have to watch out for copy protection.

3. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The Panasonic E500 will do an excellent job on this.

The top quality mode is just 1hr per DVD. The other recording modes are SP (2hrs), LP (4hrs) and EP (6 or 8hrs). In reality though you will use an extra recording mode called Flexible Record which allows you to set a recording time to the minute anywhere between 1hr and 8hrs. The Panasonic E500 has three hour full resolution recording (most DVD recorders only manage under 2hrs 30mins) - which means you can get that much more on a single disc before the picture quality reduces dramatically.

Rather than copy whole tapes to DVD your best bet is to work out what you want on each DVD. I try to avoid putting anymore than 90mins per DVD-R but that said the E500 currently has the best MPEG encoder in a set-top DVD recorder and so you could get away with alot more.

If your VHS tapes are recorded TV episodes then workout how many episodes you want to put on each disc and then use an appropriate Flexible Record setting. Naturally a degree of trial and error (preferrably on re-writeable discs) will be required to discover what you are happy with.

4. darran1977

darran1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I want to copy tapes of boxing matches that I have. Thinking about it most of the shows are about 2 hrs so not as long as I thought and I can always use more than one DVD for longer shows. I am a complete DVD virgin, so with the Pannasonic what type of CDs is best for say a 2 hr DVD and what recording mode?

5. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You will use 4.7GB DVD-Rs - most brands will work fine - although for longevity and compatibility your much better off with big name brands such as Panasonic, Verbatim, Pioneer, JVC, HP, Maxell etc.

You'll have to use trial and error to see what you find acceptable. Generally you'll use Flexible Record for archiving though.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Bear in mind that vhs videos have now lasted up to 25 years or more and most will still play fine, albeit with some deterioration to the picture. There is evidence that some cheap dvd-r's are failing after only a matter of months, and cannot be considered a viable long term safe storage without a stringent multiple copy and rolling replacement stratagy using best quality media. I have personally experienced loss of media after a year or so of careful storage, which played fine when originally burnt, but now has drop outs and pauses, or indeed will not play at all.. Perhaps one in 50 or so recordings has now failed in this way over the last 2 years since I bought the dvd recorder, and no doubt other will be found to have failed in the future when I try and play them again.