Dmre30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I see Multiregion Magic are offering this for £499 inc VAT as a pre-order - anyone know when this model is going to become available (or where to get it cheaper)?

2. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    AV Land (http://www.av-land.co.uk/) said end of August when I spoke to them. They are also hav it at £499 which is a pretty good price IMHO.

Michael.

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    electricaldiscountuk.co.uk are slightly cheaper at 473 and better again for the HS2 than avland

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whats the difference between this model and the DMRE20

5. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Much smaller (thinner), time slip functions easier to access from remote, prog. scan output, no firewire (DV, i-Link) port. Much cheaper initial price - RRP is around £600 whereas RRP for the E20 when it first came out was around £1100.

Michael.

6. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Check out the price via uk.pricerunner.com cheapest price so far is £459 (excluding shipping) from K.K. Electronics.

Scott

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to be clear. Is the DMRE30 is cheaper AND an improvement over the DMRE20. Is there anything the DMRE20 can do that the DMRE30 cant?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    It can't take up as much space on the shelf :D

The DMRE30 is the DMRE20 with a few improvements. There is nothing the 20 can do that the new model can't.

9. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To your first question, basically yes (see answer to second question)!

To the second, yes: The E20 has a firewire (i-Link, DV, IEEE 1394) input port which you can use to directly 'upload' digital video from a DV camcorder or from a PC with a firewire port (note the port is input only). The E30 does not have a firewire port.

If you don't care about that (I don't) then the E30 is definitely an improvement over the E20 and a lot cheaper (allthough prices of the E20 have plummeted recently to about the same level).

Michael.

10. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not quite true. See my previous reply.

Michael.

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what do you think Racszak? Wait for the HS2 to drop a bit in price and buy the DMRE30 now or simply just wait for the HS2 and pay the premium for getting it straight away?

12. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In my case it's a no brainer - get the E30. The STB from my cable company's digital/interactive service already has a HDD recorder which can record upto 40hrs so I don't need another one and also the STB recorder is integrated into the electronic program guide so in theory is more useful than a standalone HDD recorder.

Also, the increase in price for the HS2 is pretty steep.

Michael.

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The price difference is about the price of a TIVO with lifetime subscription or an installed Sky+ and 6 months subscriptions.

So its not that bad. What you lose in EPG you gain in the ability to create DVD-Rs from several DVD RAMS or from the harddisk without having to code/decode (ie lose quality). Where as your solution means encoding to the HD then decoding and transmitting via scart and encoding again.

This is all theoretical. I have a budget for £200 to replace a VCR. I can easily rustle up a reason for a £500 recording device, so the DMRE30 is a viable proposition. But I will have to use hypnotism to get £850.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    My apologies - I forgot about that - it's not something I use.

Personally I am going for the DMR-HS2 because, although I have Sky+, I spend alot of time working abroad and therefore require as much HDD space as possible so my parents can record things for me (which I can then edited when I get home). The benefits of having the HDD in the DMR-HS2 means you have an 'all on one' solution for recording, editing and then burning a DVD-Video but, as you say, there is a price premium (around £400 in excess of the DMRE30).

If you purchase a new PC DVD-RAM drive on which can also burn DVD-Rs (around £350 for the Panasonic drive) then you can achieve the same with just a DMRE20/30 with the added benefit of designing your own menus using Spruceup, DVDIt etc. The downside of this is that it consumes your free time dramtically - especially as you learn how to make really decent looking menus (don't underestimate the effect this has on your life).

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Something else a forgot to include in the reply above is that there are a number of new DVD-RAM recorders coming from JVC and HITACHI in the next six months or so - I'm not sure if any are HDD/RAM combos (I would guess some will be given JVCs previous HDD efforts) - but these will doubtless push down the price of the HS2.

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an inner battle of "early adopter" vs "sensible parent". I thought I was above these kind of inner struggles.

17. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For things I record via my cable box's HDD which I want to keep as permanent recordings I can live with the decode/encode loss in quality when recording it to DVD-RAM. The quality will still be miles better than VHS. And if there's something like a film or documentary that I know I'll want to keep I'll just record it to DVD-RAM or DVD-R in the first place.

Since I already have an HDD recorder for 'free' it would be hard for me to justify an extra £4-500 for another one!

I'm already pushing the boat out on the AV budget...I'm going from 12yr old Nicam VCR and 24" 4:3 Sony Trinitron to DVD recorder (DMR-E30) and LCD projector (Philips Monroe). Only the 'sound' part is remaining (Arcam Alpha 6 Plus to Tannoy Mx2s) - I don't want to go surround sound for now. No room to put extra speakers and I'm not convinced that any AV Receivers can do as good a job on music as a 'proper' stereo amp (for a reasonable price).

Michael.

18. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheap and reasonable surround without compomising stereo integrity=
    yam E800 for centre and rear (new model due so price will drop)
    KEF CI160S for rears (about £50 each from Hyperfi) if you are allowed to embed them in the wall that is
    and a Tannoy centre to match your fronts

All that for a fraction of the projector budget:D

Getting back to DMRE30. Some of us dont get HD drives for free.

Given the choice though would you put the EPG integration before image integrity?

19. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    One large factor to bear in mind, imho, is the unreliable status that -r discs still have. The RAM discs seem fine, if expensive, but lots of people are still reporting failed discs for one-off -r's. In fact, the more you read the more confusing the error reasoning gets; ranging from cheap discs, cold discs failing to finalise but once warmed physicly maybe ok (!), to pickie recorders and on. I don't know about you guys, but when I record something I expect to have it, not excuses. The only 'safe' bet appears to getting a dvd recorder with a HDD.
    One question I have for an owner is about finalising a disc; in that when you record something to an -r disc, do you have to finalise it to be able to play the full/partial contents or can it be read like say a cdr on a pc can and only need to finalise if full? Cheers.
    Oh and aren't Toshiba's RD-X2 suppose to be launching a model soon too which has an HDD?

20. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Toshiba launch in october there is a link to the japanese version from the uk WEBSITE. bUT ITS SPEC LITE Sorry ca[ps lock

21. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  22. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm, UK tosh site points to RDX1 for autumn release. But it looks pants in comparison to the RDX2 which also makes the HS2 look pants too.

23. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the tip about the Yamaha E800 - I didn't know products like it existed. The one remaining problem is where to unobtrusively put the rear speakers. Our living room is very long and narrow (about 6m x 16m) and the AV setup is at one of the narrow ends so the rear speakers would have to be somewhere in the middle of the room behind the sofa (which faces the narrow AV end of the room). In order for my wife to find it acceptable :D I probably couldn't have anything much bigger than a pair of small satellite (a la Bose) speakers somewhere discreetly.

Getting back to the E30, yes, I realise that not everyone gets an HDD records for free :p - I was just saying that given my situation the HS2 can't really be justified.

About EPG integration vs. image integrity, it's not really an issue for me. 95% of stuff I record on the STBs HD will be sports events, series episodes etc which I will only want to watch once and then bin. For stuff I really want to keep I'll just record to DVD straight away.

Michael.

24. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The KEFs are custom install you just hack out some plaster and brick and they are then flush with the wall. You can cover them in fabric to hide them!!! No problems with space then! But you need to:
    a) have an accomodating partner (a promise of redecoration I have dfound is a good business case)
    b) be good at digging into plaster (ie cutting the exact shape not taking down the wall)
    c) be good at plastering and decorating

I think the Yam is the only product like that. You would have thought stereo amp manufacturers would have jumped at the chance of maintaining the stereo moral high ground and selling a matching add on processor, but there you go.

25. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey - this is almost like online chat :)

But if I put the KEFs into my wall they'd be facing each other (ie they'd be in the side wall) unless I put them all the way down the other end of the room (about 10m away) which doesn't seem sensible! Surely they're supposed to be facing the screen?

How does the wiring work for the KEFs - do you have to run the wires in the wall?

Michael.

26. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Almost but not quite!!!

I dont think they need to face the screen, either side of the listener is fine I think but you are most probably best getting advice from someone in the know. All information on these speakers is on their website. regarding cabling, up to you. Would assume best is to channel it in but then you will definately have to redecorate. Its a solution I intend to use for the rear in my setup to get 6.1. But I am in the fortunate position that the room will be having a fire place removed as well as electrical rewiring so I will need to replaster as part of the decoration of that room. Another one of my little jobs for next year

27. Evilbro

Evilbro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyway, getting back to the DMR-E30.

Can it actually record NTSC signals like the E20 can?

Electrical Discount UK claim that it can't and AVLand don't believe it can either.

Personally I would rather buy the E30 because it has RGB input but if it can't record NTSC then I'll have to buy the E20.

Can somebody please let me know before the E20 disappears from the shelves?

Thanks.

28. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, it wouldn't be much use in the US if it can't record NTSC signals would it? I'm pretty sure that, regardless of the region you buy it in, it handles all the standards (NTSC, PAL, SECAM).

Michael.

29. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Surely there will alwyas be differences between stateside and european models. For example they have componant as standard rather than Scart. So it isnt inconcievable that a scart based model may not have NTSC capabilities

30. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I suppose so but I would have thought that most RF tuners in AV hardware these days can handle all the common standards.

Michael.