DMRE30 Problems

sisko

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just installed an LG DVD burner in my PC and am having a slight problem.

When I make a DVD RAM recorder on my PC it will not play in the E30. Nero 6 has converted the AVI file to MPEG, but the E30 is saying the disc is not formatted corectly.

Is there some problem with the E30 or is it not posssible to record DVD RAM on the LG to play on the Panasonic?

Hope someone can help.

Nero 6 has converted the AVI file to MPEG, but the E30 is saying the disc is not formatted corectly
The video on a DVD-RAM needs to be in the VRO file format. If you record a TV show on your E30 and have a look at the file structure on your PC you'll see what you need to achieve.

You'll need a special DVD authoring package for this: MovieFactory 3 for example. However a much more economical way of putting things on disk that you can use in your E30 is to put them to DVD-R (which uses the standard DVD-Video structure). You can use a conversion programme such as TMPG Encoder Plus to re-encode AVI, MPEG into DVD compliant MPEG2 which you can then import into any DVD authoring software (such as TMPG Enc Author for example).

You can find comprehensive advice on PC-DVD issues at:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/

Hi

I would recommend using MovieFactory 3 (get Disc Creator). Not only can you then copy video back to DVD-RAM (in the correct format to play) without having to waste DVD-Rs when you want to test different encoding settings or for temporary recordings, it will also help you easily create standard DVD Videos with the least hassle.

The other option would be use a DVD-RW/+RW in your LG to create test discs, this will allow you to practice and make mistakes while you find out all about the process, with the benefit you can erase the DVD-RW/+RW and start again. Unlike DVD-RAM, DVD-RW/+RW is compatible with most DVD Players and can use the standard DVD Video format so will work with any authoring software. When you have an RW disc that works, simply do a disc copy to a DVD-R if you want to keep it.

While DVD-Rs aren't that expensive, the last thing you want to be doing is practising on them and creating coasters, unless you are rich that is and have lots of mugs and wooden surfaces easily marked that require coasters!

Have fun.

Regards

Philip

While DVD-Rs aren't that expensive, the last thing you want to be doing is practising on them and creating coasters, unless you are rich that is and have lots of mugs and wooden surfaces easily marked that require coasters!
Great advice that Philip - buy MovieFactory 3. Even the upgrade from the previous version costs £40 - the equivalent of 80 DVD-Rs! On the other hand if he burns to DVD-R it won't cost him anything other than the disks!

this will allow you to practice and make mistakes while you find out all about the process
Of course you can do all this by compiling the project to the HDD and checking it there in WinDVD or similar! And then you don't waste ANY time burning the disk.

The other option would be use a DVD-RW/+RW in your LG to create test discs
The vast majority of DVD-RWs don't work in the E30 Philip - and where they do there is normally staggering playback - not ideal for testing a DVD project. If you had actually used the product you'd know this - as I said to you in a different post practical knowledge is quite important when giving advice! You might have better luck with DVD+RW - later models of the E30 could indeed read some brands.

Hi Rasczak

Oh dear you do not like me do you.

TMPG Encoder Plus
I guess this is free then is it?

Of course you can do all this by compiling the project to the HDD and checking it there in WinDVD or similar!

Like a DVD watched on a computer has any resemblence to how it will look on a TV. You can not judge encoding quality on a PC monitor. There is nothing like taking the DVD and actually playing it where you would normally watch to decide if it is acceptable to you are not.

The vast majority of DVD-RWs don't work in the E30 Philip - and where they do there is normally staggering playback - not ideal for testing a DVD project.

The vast majority, really. My experience with the E30 has shown no problems playing back DVD-RWs. Maybe the poster has another DVD Player they can use, you do keep making assumptions.

If you had actually used the product you'd know this as I said to you in a different post practical knowledge is quite important when giving advice!

There you go again, assumptions and arrogance. Quit attacking me Rasczak, I was only offering another option. You find me a real threat don't you, just what is your problem. For the sake of the forum, let it go mate.

Regards

Philip

I guess this is free then is it?
You can get a free version that does what you want, yes.

Like a DVD watched on a computer has any resemblence to how it will look on a TV. You can not judge encoding quality on a PC monitor. There is nothing like taking the DVD and actually playing it where you would normally watch to decide if it is acceptable to you are not
Agreed - but in your original post you suggested that the user would run up hundreds of blank DVD-Rs whilst he experimented. Ultimately though all software compatibility issues can be resolved on your PC. You can ensure correct encoding on your PC. Infact it is easier as you can numerous applications to verify the VOB files for you. Only when your sure it's correct in all respects do you burn to disk. And then DVD-R has the best chance of all formats of being recognised and playing correctly.

My experience with the E30 has shown no problems playing back DVD-RWs. Maybe the poster has another DVD Player they can use, you do keep making assumptions.
Of course you have never owned one have you? Fair enough there have been reports that some people have played video mode DVD-RWs OK - but the vast majority say they won't play at all. I know DVD+RW play OK because I've used my own disks in the E30.

As for making assumptions - well I can only go by information given as can you! Perhaps you should suggest he record the video to a BluRay disk as he might have an imported BluRay player!

Quit attacking me Rasczak, I was only offering another option. You find me a real threat don't you, just what is your problem. For the sake of the forum, let it go mate.
I'm not attacking you Philip. I'm merely pointing out that your solution is somewhat flawed. Sisko might read you post and feel his only option is to spend $100 - when infact he can do what he wants much more cheapily (for free infact).

Thanks for the help guys. I will get a copy of MovieFactory 3.

Silly question, will the E30 play -RWs and +RWs. I know it will play -Rs but I didn't know it would play -RWs and +RWs as well.

Silly question, will the E30 play -RWs and +RWs
Depends on what drive you unit has - only real way to tell short of opening up is to try it with a disk. In my experience most units work with DVD+RW disks. DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs will play without problems. You'll have to suck it and see with DVD-RWs though as there are conflicting reports.

I got a copy of Movie Maker 3 and it works fine.

Thanks for all the advice guys.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom