1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMRE-500...Works great queries on Flexi Record, Dubbing & other setup plse...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JeffHNZ, May 25, 2005.

1. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found that creating play list and chapters as you described in my previous thread is perfect so thanks Steve. Have a few other queries:

1. Looking at dubbing and just trying to workout Flexi Record and how it works and when to use it? Does it work on finalised DVD-R in other units OK? Also I assume if you dub in SP quality and your program is in XP quality, the unit automatically converts it?

2. Markers - I understand that on older machines, if you put in markers in your recordings, that they are lost when finalising a disc on DVD-R and you therefore need a RAM Disc to retain. Is this true on the DMRE-500 or what are the secrets?

3. In the setup of the unit, in the others menu, there are two options - one to reset to Shipping conidition and one to reset Default settings. What are the differences? When should you use one over the other? Panasonic said to me that there is a change of losing region or other info by performing one or both of these....

Any problems with using these if you need to?

Your comments/thoughts an experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff.

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    Queries
    1, flexi is great when you have (for example) recorded a movie/programme etc in SP or XP. You then find it is 2 hours and 5 minutes long, but you want to put it on DVD-R or RAM in the best quality you can. If you did not have FR you would have to put it on disc on LP effectively reducing the quality by half of SP. By using FR your machine calculates how much it needs to reduce the bitrate by to dub the programme in the best possible quality. So in the example given it would transfer over in about 98% quality of SP (LP would have been 50% of SP).
    I have not found a problem with other machines playing discs done this way but I believe some people have. I tend to use good brand discs which possibly helps.
    2, Your 500 does not have markers (if it is the same as my euro/GB model), it uses chapters instead. I have found that, like markers, these are not transfered over. If I want chapters I use the Divide facility to split the programme into chapter type segments.
    3, I never touch these settings. I manually select the settings I want which are normally very close to the pre-set settings apart from a little tweaking

3. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it was that marvellous, wonderful but oh so modest Ben that pointed you to creating a Play List etc.. :)

1. There is an excellent explanation of FR here. In your case just substitute HDD for DVD-RAM. Like Steve, I've not encountered any probs. Perhaps others have though. Conversion from XP to SP will consequently result in some degradation of PQ.

2. Chapters, specifically marked, are only retained if the Title is HS dubbed to DVD-R. They are lost elsewise (say if you convert from XP to SP) and are automatically inserted every 5 or 6 minutes.

3. Using Shipping Condition resets ALL settings apart from time, User ID, ratings to their default state. I suppose this could be useful when moving to a different part of the country and analogue channels have different channel numbers. Using Default Settings seems to be less invasive. I do not know if either of these would compromise the MR mod.