DMRE-500 Editing, One Touch Record, Display and something you mind find useful!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JeffHNZ, May 24, 2005.

1. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I have found this to be a great unit, no complaints, very useable and user friendly in general. You soon get use to the 40 second startup and its not really a major. Also record quality is fine (mostly use LP) for TV and haven't any problems. Anyway some queries:

1. I have two programs (two titles) on my recorder that I want to make into one. While you can combine, or split chapters, there appears to be no way of combining two titles? Can anyone help!

2. The One Touch Record appears to only work if you press the 'Record' button on the main unit and not the remote. Have others found the same thing and what do the other Panasonic do?

3. When the unit turns off there is nothing on the display, not even a clock. Is this normal and can it be changed? If so how?

Lastly here is something that I found, that is really quite good.

I have my Sky Box plugged into the recorder via a 21pin SCART to SCART Cable and I have another TV in another room which has an aerial connection that has been split from that main room. Whenever you play something on the DVD recorder the signal is sent through the SCART cable to the Sky Box, which in turns sends it out via the Aerial. This means I can watch my HDD Recorder from my bedroom and the plus is that Sky can still be recorded on the recorder even though you are watching something in this way.

Panasonic or the TV Tech I spoke to had no idea it would work like this but trust me it does.

Cheers,

Jeff.

2. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Create a Play List. Add both titles as chapters in the Play List. Press Return to get to Play List View. Press Sub Menu then Chapter View. 001 will be highlighted. Press Sub Menu again then Combine Chapters and then Confirm. You will have a Play List with both titles combined which you can dub to dvd.

2. I have an E85 and it's the same procedure.

3. I would have thought that the clock, at least, should be visible.

3. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try that tonight, cheers.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Mine displays time when switched off. Could it be that you have the front panel turned down to dim instead of it being bright? There is a setting in the setup screen that controls the brightness of the front panel.

My ntl cable box works in exactly the same way. The digibox acts as a pass through for the DVD recorder whenever the recorder is playing HDD/DVD or on a menu screen.

S.

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Hi jeff,
    You got the 500 then.
    In answer to your queries :-
    1, Ben223 is spot on.
    2, my one touch recording works from the remote - I use it frequently.
    3, mine displays the time when switched off. I have mine set on dim but can still see the clock.
    Regarding your last paragraph. I haven't tried this as I have sky and a dvd recorder upstairs as well anyway, but I am able to do this with my motorised satellite receiver.

6. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found that creating play list and chapters as you describe is perfect so thanks Steve. Also the FL setting was set to Auto so thats why there was no clock on power off.

Have a few other queries which I have posted in a new thread..Any feedback will be well received.

Cheers,

Jeff.

7. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve P,

You said: "My ntl cable box works in exactly the same way. The digibox acts as a pass through for the DVD recorder whenever the recorder is playing HDD/DVD or on a menu screen."

I have a panasonic DMR DVD recorder and a NTL Digital Pace decoder box. I dont have a SCART on the TV where these are and have been experimenting with this setup last night, I couldnt get the DVD signal to come through for some reason. Here's how they are all hooked:

NTL TV Scart to Panny AV2
    NTL Aerial (RF) cable to TV aerial (RF) input
    I can, of course see what the NTL is playing on the TV, this via aerial (RF) cable. and I can also record on the panny from the NTL box but I cant see the panny menus or playback.

How did you hook yours up?

Thanx

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Ammar,

ntl TV SCART -> AV2S on TV
    ntl VCR SCART -> AV2 on DMR-E500
    DMR-E500 AV1 SCART -> AV4S on TV
    DMR-E500 Component -> AV4C on TV
    Video composite SCART -> AV1 on TV

The RF aerial out of the cable box feeds the video which in turn feeds the DMR-E500 which then links to the TV.

If I'm watching the ntl PACE box and I switch to a menu on the E500 or play a title on the HDD/DVD the picture from the PACE box drops and is replaced by whatever the E500 is showing, no matter which AV channel on the TV is activated, e.g. AV2S or watching cable via an analogue channel or via the VCR. I can only assume that whenever my ntl PACE box sees a signal on its VCR SCART it automatically passes through the signal to its TV OUT SCART. :confused: Unless someone else knows differently.

My PACE box is set to "SCART Control" but actually this setting makes no difference. Option 3 in the image [​IMG]

S.

9. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for your reply.

I shall try again tonight, although I am sure I tried the VCR socket as well, really need this one to work.

Just as a side issue, are you sure the NTL box is capable of outputting RGB through both the TV scart as well as the VCR scart? I always thought not, and hence it seems to me that you are not recording on your E500 in RGB quality. I hope I am mistaken re this issue, others may be able to shed some light.

Regards

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    No problemo :) :thumbsup:

I have an original "release A" PACE box so it can't output RGB at all. My options are S-Video or composite and you are correct in that the SCART labelled TV can output S-Video or composite whereas the other SCART labelled VCR is limited to composite output only.

To be honest I did a lot of experimenting when I got my E500 and there is very little loss of quality in recording a composite signal as opposed to S-Video, so I was happy to have S-Video direct to the TV and composite to the E500 for recording. Both are actually very good signals, I was somewhat surprised that the composite was on a par with S-video or it could be that whatever I have recorded is fed to the TV via component.

What I will get in the near future is a fully wired SCART cable that does 1x output ---> 2x inputs. That way I can ditch using the ntl box VCR SCART and daisychain the ntl box TV SCART S-Video out to the E500 and then onto the telly. I thought Maplin did a version but on further inspection it's only a composite cable not a fully wired cable.

S.

11. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just finished experimenting with my Pace NTL digital box and my DMRE20.

I connected the VCR scart of the NTL to the AV2 scart of the DMR and played the DMR but got no signal through the NTL RF lead.

I tried playing with the setting for Scart Control, no good.

I tried hooking the AV1(TV) out scart from the DMR to the VCR scart on the NTL boc, still no signal

My NTL box is fairly new, so perhaps it doesnt support this functionality? Anyone out there with any input on this?

Regards

12. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    That could be it. I know the newer ntl boxes have certain items stripped from them to keep the cost down. My box has analogue signal pass through and separate audio stereo output via RCA terminals, I know both these items have been removed from later boxes. You can get analogue pass through function back but you have to request it when the cable box is installed and the engineer sticks another little box on the back.

S.

13. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you not connect the RF cable from the NTL box to the DVR and then an RF cable from the DVR to your TV? Tune in the DVR to a spare channel on your TV and you should see some output from it.

14. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always thought the RF on the DVR is pass-through and record but not output. ie you can record from it and tune the TV to the (pre DVR) source on it (in this case the NTL box) but not view the DVR menus and playback using that.

Am I right?

15. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you are correct. I only use scart connects so haven't gone down the RF route. I might give it a go though, just to see what happens.

16. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tuned my DVR to a spare channel on the TV and am able to access menus and watch previously recorded titles. So this might be a solution for you.

17. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What! you can watch DVR via RF?

I will believe that when I see it!

Will try tonite though.

Thanx

18. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I can, in fact I even have the TV channel (9 I think) labelled as DVD-R. All Panasonic DVD recorders have an RF modulator in them. If you hold the function key on the remote for longer than 5 seconds you can then select which RF channel the recorder outputs on, if you select -- you then switch off RF output. I have to say I very rarely watch anything via the analog RF channels but it's nice to have it set up, heh why I don't know... pictures are much better via AV inputs.

S.

19. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spoken to Panasonic it seems that some models of the DMR-E500 have One Touch Record on the remote and others don't. This is a software difference according to Panasonic. Eg: The NZ manual on page 23 talks about One Touch record and has the words "on the main unit". The USA manual on page 23, says the same thing except the words "on the main unit have been removed, indicating it would work from both. :(

The UK version is similar to here but some of the software is different eg: timer recording. I have submitted a request to Panasonic to check this for me.

Steve would be interested to know if the One Touch Record section in your manual mentions "on the main unit" This will probably be about page 23.

Cheers.

20. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Jeff,

Front cover page of my DMR-E500H manual at the bottom right states my manual version is RQT7755-1B. My manual has the OTR description on page 21:
    The remote is not mentioned in my manual with regard OTR. If I press the record button on the remote it instantly starts recording, have never tried the OTR functionality yet.

*EDIT* okay I've just had a quick play, for me OTR only works when pressing REC on the main unit (under right flap) just as the manual describes. Repeatedly pressing the REC button on the remote does not activate OTR. Fortunately this isn't an issue for me as my VCR is exactly the same, OTR can only be activated from the VCR and not the remote, heh but then that's a panny too.

Hope this helps.

S.

21. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Hi Jeff,

I have scanned pages 20 and 21 from my manual and you will see on the first thumbnail on the left (page 20) under the bit marked 5 how you can start instant recording from the remote or the front of the machine as shown on the middle thumbnail.

However you will see from the thumbnail on the right (page 21 of my manual) that you have to use the button on the main unit if you wish to set a recording time (in 30 minute segments)

Is this different from your manual? and are you unable to do this on your model?

Cheers Steve N

22. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    From reading Jeff's posts I think he was hoping that he could use One Touch Recording i.e. set times of 30, 60, 90 mins etc., from his remote control in addition to using the button on the machine itself as per the US version of the E500.

S.

23. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    Steve P
    With hindsight I think you are right. I originally assumed he didn't have the facility to start instant record on his remote at all.

PS Looks like we were both composing a reply to Jeff at the same time

24. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Too many Steve's eh?? :p :D

S.

25. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic have confirmed that the 'One Touch Record Function' only works from the main unit and not the remote for all DVD Recorders and VCR's in Australia and NZ.