1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-HS2 FR Mode problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by frothi, Oct 3, 2003.

1. frothi

frothi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come when i dubbed a 90 minute film, originally recorded in XP mode, to dvd-r using FR mode, my P.C. tells me that it only contains 3.9 GB of data, not 4.7GB. This is what you would expect from SP mode. I followed the manual carefully. Anybody know where i went wrong.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Firstly you'll never get a full 4.7GB on a disk - various technical reasons mean that on on all DVDRs you get (in broad handfuls) get between 4.1GB and 4.4GB of data. As for the difference between this and your recording then this could be due to a number of issues.

Firstly Windows only gives an approximation of file size especially for large files - if you want to measure the precise file size you'll need to download a file management application. Most web management ones will do this which you can just use locally.

Secondly what sound setting do you have set for XP mode? Recording in LPCM means better quality audio with a slight reduction (virtually undetectable) in bitrate for picture and should be used for recording concerts/music etc. Use Dolby Digital for everything else.

Thirdly remember the HS2 uses a hybrid VBR. Frequently there will be a couple of minutes 'spare time' at the end of the recording especially if it's a low movement movie.

Have assessed the recording do you consider there is a problem? Or are you just looking at the figures and concerned there is a problem? If there is no problem I would suggest you problem is a combination of Windows and the VBR.

3. frothi

frothi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked the discs in a file manager and was given figures just under 4.01GB. An increase i suppose but pretty negligable. I checked the sound and it was Dolby Digital. No problems picture quality wise, as i understand this is where the VBR setting would have an impact, rather than on file size in FR mode. I suppose the figures did lead me to believe there was a problem, i'm still suprised at the size of the discrepancy though.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    You'll find they do change a fair bit - often by several hundred MBs. I wouldn't get concerned about it - it is the function of the re-encoding process that the HS2 goes through when copying to the disk.

Once you've done a few different recordings compare them on a bitrate view graph and you'll get a good feel for how the VBR works on the HS2 - if the screen is low movement it drops the bitrate right down conserving disk space for high action scenes.

5. frothi

frothi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. One more question. If i was recording a film with very little action, say people just sitting around talking for much of the time, would it be better to set the VBR as FIXED or AUTOMATIC. Do these settings do the same job, but with one being less extreme than the other?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Automatic - always use Automatic. The VBR, when set to Automatic, will rise and dip below an average bitrate which is determined by the machine based on the length of the recording. For instance when recording in SP (or FR set to 2hrs) it will rise and dip around 5MBits/S. If you set it to Fixed it will effectively become a CBR (Constant Bitrate) and will stick to the core bitrate regardless of scene action.