1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-HS2 can it copy DVD-r discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by broadhurst, Oct 9, 2002.

1. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if this new machine can copy a DVD-R disk by copying the disk on the hard drive in either PAL or NTSC and then record back to a blank DVD-R? Can it also copy NTSC VHS tapes to DVD-R disc
    Thanks
    Sharon

2. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Panasonic have told me it can definately copy a dvd-ram disc to the hard drive, then on to a dvd-r. The same should therefore be the case for copying dvd-r discs.

As for NTSC, I've had plenty of fun with this, on the DMR-E20; and as the HS2 is much the same inside, with an additional hard drive; the same is likely to be the case.
    It can only rrecord NTSC if the source signal is true NTSC. ie an NTSC VCR or DV Cam. Trying to record a disc from an NTSC tape being played on a PAL vcr with NTSC playback facility will result in a messed up picture with lines at bottom of the picture. Something to do with PAL 50 and PAL 60...

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. A word of caution...I have read somewhere that the H2 cannot copy DVD-R to the HD. I am trying to remember where I read it. I may be wrong so treat this posting with caution too.

It may be that the machine will not copy from it's own DVD-R playback but perhaps will if you use another player and link it to the H2 in the normal way.

If you can copy VHS to the hard drive from a VHS recorder I don't see why the same cannot be true with a DVD player and a DVD-R finalized disc. It may be that the DVD player side of the H2 is not connectable to the HD side of the recorder but the RAM is.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi.

Update. I have found the source of of the information which confirms that the H2 cannot copy DVD-R to the hard disc. Below is the relavent quote from the UK October edition of What video and TV magazine.

Magazine quote:

Footage recorded in EP mode can be dubbed from hard disc to DVD-RAM 12 times faster than real time (2x in XP mode), and recordings can be copied into a lower quality setting-but only in real time.

DVD-RAM to hard disc dubbing is also possible, therfore making it possible to transfer DVD-RAM recordings to DVD-R-but you can't transfer DVD-R to hard disc.

End of quote:

Hope this helps... I still cannot see any reason why playing a DVD-R in a seperate DVD player connected to the H2 inputs would presumably copy to hard disc. I am assuming from the above quote that the internal electronics/programming isn't arranged for the H2 itself to playback and copy at the same time a DVD-R to the hard drive. It does seem strange considering the RAM side of the machine can be made to do just that.......

5. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I suppose this is stop you from putting in a bought DVD Movie and then making a copy of the movie (minus menus and extras) onto hard disc then writing back a copy of the movie from the hard disc onto a blank DVD-R.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yonderblue. Agreed. I think you have hit the nail right on the head.....

7. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I understand that they should not copy films but the DVD-R disks I have are just personal family film. Can you copy a film with a DVD player and recorder linked?
    Is there a way of duplicating these personal disks so that I can give them to family and friends?
    Would the E20 or E30 do this connected to another DVD player?
    Please help

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    broadhurst. No problem. I have the E20 and have made copies of my DVD-R discs by playing them in a Pioneer player and recording back to the E20 DVD-R disc. I use "S" vide connections and the results are very good indeed. In most cases you won't see the difference from the original. Best results are achieved if your original recording has been made in the highest quality recording mode.

Commercial discs are a different problem of course. But I believe even those can be copied with the help of other equipment of which I am not qualified to advise.

9. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcom thanks for your knowledge on this. The E20 looks better than the E30 for me as it has a firewire connection. Would I be able to copy NTSC encoded DVD-R discs from a DVD player to say the E-20?
    I'm not interested in copying official releases just the NTSC + PAL DVD-R disks that I have.
    Thanks

10. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I can field that last one;
    You can only copy NTSC DVD-R discs if the dvd player will output the signal in true NTSC (ie not try to convert it to PAL). And the resulting dvd-r disc you record to will also be NTSC.

The E20 cannot cope with a converted signal (eg it won't record NTSC tapes that are played back on a VCR that allows "NTSC playback on a PAL TV").

Finally, I wouldn't necessarily agree that anti DVD-Video copying is the reason behind the HS2 being unable to transfer DVD-R to the Hard drive; second players are so cheap and easy to hook up.

The format and file lay out of RAM is very different to DVD-R. RAM is, in effect, a removable hard drive and teh data is recorded as such; RAM has been used this way for a number of years. It therefore seems more likely that RAM and Hard drive recordings will use identical layouts; and recording conversion to DVD-R format only occurs when it's actually being recorded onto a DVD-R disc.
    However, this also seems a bit pointless as it copes with a dvd-r played in another machine.

The report itself could simply be mistaken...

11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  12. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been told by panasonic today that you can record DVD-RAM disk to hard drive but not DVD-R disks. I think panasonic have dropped a clanger here because many people now have Digtal camcorders and send the disks to family and friends, and you should not need two machines to copy a disk. This machine is not looking that good so far for me. The E-20 is now impossible to find? Anyone know if there are any available? The E-30 has no firewire connection so what choices do I have? The quality of my DV tapes would be lost not being able to transfer using firewire? The E-30 has S-VHS at best I think which is not as good.
    Looks like I am going to have to wait a little longer for a DVD recorder unless I can find an E-20 or similar and I would need to buy a seperate DVD player to enable me to copy the disks.
    Any Ideas please.

13. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Although I have the E20 with fire wire I don't bother with it because I can't see any visible loss of quality when transfering digi cam recordings via "S" vide connections. It's probably my eyesight as I am like an ageing eagle that can no longer see a worm stick it's head up from 2 miles up. :D :D

14. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcom, Would I be able to connect an E-20 to another player and copy as you said DVD-R disks which are NTSC encoded. You did not mention if you have copied Pal or Ntsc onto DVD-R?
    Thanks

15. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi broadhurst. Here in the UK being the PAL system I don't have any understanding with what goes on with regard to NTSC. Sorry I couldn't help with that problem.

With regard to copying in general some people have reported an increase in brightness or slight colour fade when copying from RAM to DVD-R. Nothing too alarming apparently. But I have to say when I copy using my Pioneer player to the E20 DVD-R disc or RAM I personally have not experienced the problem I have just summarised.

Over the past few month I have read the forums and users comments and experiences with copying from one machine to another and can only come to the conclusion that the majority are more than satisfied. For example in theory you can make the copy an improvement over and above the original by tinkering with the picture settings of the player or recorder you are copying from.

I think the unpredictability of cheap media is the biggest headache for most and not the potential generation loss when copying as this seldom turns out to be a major problem.

When I see the very noticeable picture quality loss when copying VHS to VHS and compare it to the " can seldom see any difference at all with DVD-R copying" . I think you should be quite a happy bunny with your copies of the future. Regards. Malcom.

16. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcom have you read about the new Toshiba RDX2. It sounds like this one can do what the HS2 can't and record DVD-R to and from hard disk.
    I still don't know what to but at the moment so may wait for this machine if indeed it does my original requirement

17. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    broadhurst. Yes I have been aware of the Toshibas HDD machine imminent arrival. Or so they say!

However I have come to a decision today. Browsing through the Comet site I noticed the E30 is selling for £422. I think even when the HDD machines reduce in price they will still be well more expensive than the present batch of DVD recorders.

For me at least with the type of usage I require I cannot justify spending loads of dosh on either of them. Instead I have ordered the E30 to complement my E20. With any luck the E30 may start to pay for itself if as some say it is more tolorent with cheap media.

I have had such bad luck with cheap media over the last few week that I am almost forced into buying media that costs at least 3 times more than I am paying at the moment.

The 8 hour top quality recording mode of the HDD machines would have been usefull but it's not essential for my purposes.

Also i am so satisfied with copy quality between DVD machines that the no loss copy capability of the HDD machines are a bit of a red herrin as far as I am concerned. What ever improvement one might or might not see by copying with no loss on a HDD machine I don't feel is justified by the cost of them.

So that extra £400 or so that I have not spent can theoretically be put aside and spent later when the dream of dream Blue laser machines arrive on the scene. Sometime in the next two to fifty years.:D :D

18. broadhurst

broadhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcom, By the way what Pioneer player do you have. I have heard Pioneer are good players. It seems a minefield to me about what types of discs these players can play and how stable they are.

19. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    broadhurst. I have the Pioneer DV-444 . Budget price of £162. Although some were selling it at about £200 a few months ago.

It plays a variety of discs from CD-R/RW to DVD-R and DVD-RW discs. I think it will play DVD+RW discs too.

I am quite new to the world of DVD. The first DVD player I ever owned was when I bought the E20.

There are a normal range of picture control settings but no where near as sophisticated as the E20s options. Easy to use and the picture is good.

I have a couple of DVD-R recordings with media that has some scuffing on the surface and when played in the E20 I get some brief pixelation at certain points. But when played in the Pioneer no pixelation is present. So it outperforms the E20 in that respect Malcom.