DMR-EZ48VEB not reading DVD's

Howard64

Standard Member
Reaction score
the DMR-EZ48VEB works fine as a video player/recorder and tunes into the freeview channels. When a blank disk is inserted the tv screen shows out of range and nothing can be done. When a pre-recorded dvd is put in after a few minutes it says NoREAD on the built in screen and nothing else happens. Could this be a dirty lens problem or does anyone have any other suggestions?

the DMR-EZ48VEB works fine as a video player/recorder and tunes into the freeview channels. When a blank disk is inserted the tv screen shows out of range and nothing can be done. When a pre-recorded dvd is put in after a few minutes it says NoREAD on the built in screen and nothing else happens. Could this be a dirty lens problem or does anyone have any other suggestions?

It could be, but this problem is considerably rarer than is generally believed.

For other possibilities, have a read of this sticky thread and see if any of the symptoms described there match your circumstances

Thank you Gavtech I took the cover off of the unit and the top off the dvd drive. I cleaned the dust and fluff out of the unit and cleaned the rubber ring. I put it all back together again but still get the same NoRead from the dvd. I do not think this unit is worth repairing as it could either be the processor or the dvd drive. Thanks for your help.

You have 2 issues as I see it , the out of range message is from your TV -- try connecting to a different TV ( or better TV ) to prove it or even connect by scart lead temporarily to see what is really going on .

To replace the laser on these units to correct the 2nd problem is just about a diy job if you are very careful and methodical , there is a guy from Glasgow selling the replacement on ebay at keen prices .

Thanks redaprilia I am not sure what you mean by connect with a scart lead because this is how it is connected to the tv. When I click on various options I can see them perfectly on the tv and I can see the freeview channels from the unit. The only time I get the out of range message is when I try to look at a pre recorded dvd or use a blank dvd rw. You seem to be suggesting that it is the laser that has failed? if that is the case and the parts are not too expensive I could try replacing that but would need guidance. Thanks again.

redaprilia do you have a name or link for this guy from Glasgow?

redaprilia do you have a name or link for this guy from Glasgow?

There is a link to the supplier in the Laser replacement thread that was reached via the thead I linked to earlier regarding DVD drive problems.

But before you go any further you need to first sort out the 'out of range' issue as you may have setting in the machine which are preventing any useful video display.

On the main unit, press and hold channel up and channel down simultaneously, for five seconds.
This will invoke a restart - a retune - a place all the settings back to default.

Thanks redaprilia I am not sure what you mean by connect with a scart lead because this is how it is connected to the tv. When I click on various options I can see them perfectly on the tv and I can see the freeview channels from the unit. The only time I get the out of range message is when I try to look at a pre recorded dvd or use a blank dvd rw. You seem to be suggesting that it is the laser that has failed? if that is the case and the parts are not too expensive I could try replacing that but would need guidance. Thanks again.

Odd that : is your TV a new type led / lcd ? normaly out of range is a issue with the screen not being able to resolve the output frequency of what is driving it ( have you a hdmi lead connected in addition to the scart lead ? )

As gavtech said you need to get this sorted first , no point in buying new lase if there is another problem with the recorder -- try a replacement TV first !!!

I am trying to fix this for a single mother friend - my tv has a Sky hd box connected by hdmi but the Sky box is turned off while I am trying this unit. I will try removing the hdmi cable and testing again. Thanks

I have now removed the hdmi lead and pressed the channel buttons - the unit has reset itself and reinstalled the tv channels on freeview. Once it had finished setting itself up the 'out of range' message came up. The tv is an lcd sharp aquos. The dvd still says NoRead and does nothing.

the owner's tv is also an lcd where this unit previously worked and it gives the same message

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom