DMR-EX87EB No Picture

Balloubear

Standard Member
I have had this unit for many years, but for the past couple of years only used it to play DVD's as I was running Sky. I recently moved and removed Sky to just use Freeview.
I have reset the unit to factory, connected to my Sharp TV via both SCART and HDMI.
The DMR runs through setup no problem. It scans the channels and the menu's are all shown on the TV. However, it will not display the TV Guide on the TV. It certainly appears to tune in as I can listen to BBC1, but not get a picture, either via SCART or HDMI.
I installed an old Freeview box to ensure that the signal is ok, this works fine, so the SCART is definitely ok and my aerial signal is ok.
Just running out of idea's now and getting very very frustrated!

Does anyone know what else I could try?
Any reply would be appreciated :)

Gavtech

Administrator
I have had this unit for many years, but for the past couple of years only used it to play DVD's as I was running Sky. I recently moved and removed Sky to just use Freeview.
I have reset the unit to factory, connected to my Sharp TV via both SCART and HDMI.
The DMR runs through setup no problem. It scans the channels and the menu's are all shown on the TV. However, it will not display the TV Guide on the TV. It certainly appears to tune in as I can listen to BBC1, but not get a picture, either via SCART or HDMI.
I installed an old Freeview box to ensure that the signal is ok, this works fine, so the SCART is definitely ok and my aerial signal is ok.
Just running out of idea's now and getting very very frustrated!

Does anyone know what else I could try?
Any reply would be appreciated :)

To test - disconnect HDMI.
Try to view by scart only to determine if the unit has a fault or not.

You may have a resolution setting that the TV is incapable of rendering... or there may be an HDMI security issue kicking in which is blanking video... or it may simply be a faulty HDMI lead.

Balloubear

Standard Member
Hi GavTech, I did remove the HDMI but the issue remains. I can only presume that it must be some sort of resolution issue, but have played about with the settings to no avail.
I do wonder if the aerial input is weak, could that cause it? Although I have connected another Freeview unit, the picture does break up now and again, but it is still seen.
Cluthching at straws I think, but I really have no idea what could be causing it.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi GavTech, I did remove the HDMI but the issue remains. I can only presume that it must be some sort of resolution issue, but have played about with the settings to no avail.
I do wonder if the aerial input is weak, could that cause it? Although I have connected another Freeview unit, the picture does break up now and again, but it is still seen.
Cluthching at straws I think, but I really have no idea what could be causing it.

There can be no resolution issue if you are connecting by scart - It only applies to HDMI.

The aerial can have absolutely no effect on this problem.(If you get sound you have got a signal ) ... However - I am saying this based on the assumption that you are in an area where analogue has been switched off ( which is almost everywhere now)... and that you are receiving a digital channel.
(Edit - on further reflection, as I recall the EX87 only has a digital tuner so you MUST be receiving a digital channel)

Can you see video output if you play a recording from the hard disc, and/ or play a DVD?

Glitches and corruption are capable of causing video muting latches either in the main processor itself or a false mute from the HDMI interface ( even when it is not being used.)
These must be eliminated as a possible cause ... so to do that, disconnect the unit from the mains for an hour or two.

Audio but no video is most commonly caused by scarts not being skewed - not pushed fully home. (The audio pins are all at one end of the plug and the video pins all at the other) So check both ends of the lead both at the machine and in the TV.

Alternately, disconnect the scart altogether and try using the HDMI lead only so there can be no possible confusion regarding signal routing / input selection.

Whether you try via scart or HDMI, make the cabling changes only while disconnected... and if you decide to try by HDMI... turn on the TV first, leave for a minute , then turn on the EX87.

adebig

On my Sharp TV you can configure the individual scarts to accept either RGB / S-Video or Composite. Try changing yours to Composite to see whether you get a picture on that scart. (On mine...Menu-Option-Input Select...)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom