DMR-EX78 Picture problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by benjamine1979, Jan 31, 2009.

1. benjamine1979

benjamine1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Can someone help me. I have just set up (or tried to set up :)) a new DMR-EX78 and a TX-32LXD85. I thought it would be easy and I followed the manual to the exact.

After setting up all the channels on the TV completed I moved onto setting the channels on the DVDR. That is where it all went a bit pear shaped. The onscreen menu appeared ok but when I went into the DVB auto set up screen the picture disapeared and started flickering. All the other menu functions appear which is really odd.

The bit that has confused me is that the manual says you need a scart and a HDMI lead. I wonder if this is was is causing my issue as I have both currently connected???

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093

Possibly.

Disconnect the HDMI until you have setup complete.
    Try with scart only and see if you can complete the installation and get completely bedded in before going anywhere near HDMI.

3. benjamine1979

benjamine1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

Cheers for the advice. following that I have tried the followinf but with no success:

Removed HDMI leads and started the installation from scratch. Restored the factory settings for both TV and DVDR. But the same happened. Basically only audio when I turn the TV to AV. The only way I can get the menu back up is to play the HDMI lead back in and switch the TV over to HDMI. This then gives the same issue (Sound but no picture, however I get the menu in this setting).

Any ideas??

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    You have probably done all you can.

Try one last thing: Disconnect the unit from the mains for 10 minutes and try again.

If there is no change... and I suspect there will be none, then return the unit as faulty.

You have been unlucky. Better luck with the replacement.

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

Don't take this as a "dumb" question but I assume that you've got an antenna connection to the dvd recorder.

Brian

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi Brian.

It's a valid check, but having sound tends to suggest that he probably has channels.

Further checking - Going back to benjamine's first post indicates he had channels - so safe to assume an aerial is present.

7. benjamine1979

benjamine1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi both, Indeed the RF connection is present.

Possibly the most anoying thing about this is that both my mum-in-law and her boyfriend. They both have identical tv's and DVDRs (the above mentioned ones). The MIL's tv worked for two days then the picture dissapeared. The BF system has not worked from setup.
    We have enlisted a local AV setup guy and he was baffled as well.
    The bit I am struggling to understand is which bit to send back, the DVDR, the TV or the Leads?????

8. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Have you tried just connecting the 3 Phono connectors (Red, White, Yellow) on the rear of the EX-78 to AV3 on the side of the LXD-85 to see whether you get video ?