DMR-EX77 - blank DVD hellishness

simonvdl

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

My one week old EX77 is refusing to record onto blank DVDs from HDD.

Tried TDK and Maxell +Rs. It refused to format them.

Tried Verbatim -Rs. Gave U88 (disk fault) error each time after chundering away for a few seconds, getting my hopes up falsely.

Plays normal DVDs OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon the Frustrated

Blimey, i hope you've just got a dud and it's not a common issue as i have been reading about this model and am very close to purchasing. It would be to replace my crap Toshiba that will copy a couple of times to a brand of disc and then never again.... repeat for next brand etc... pain in the proverbial and it's effectively only useful as a PVR so a waste of money, hence may move it to the bedroom and get a new one for the lounge.

Blimey, i hope you've just got a dud and it's not a common issue as i have been reading about this model and am very close to purchasing.

Just to say that with my EX77 I copy onto DVD-RAM and -R with no problem whatsoever. Don't let Simon's unfortunate experience put you off from buying this excellent machine, which is highly recommended in these forums and elsewhere.

(Sorry, Simon, I will have to let someone more knowledgeable than I answer your question. Good luck.)

Hi

Tried Verbatim -Rs. Gave U88 (disk fault) error each time after chundering away for a few seconds, getting my hopes up falsely.

Plays normal DVDs OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon the Frustrated

Welcome to the forum.

An almost universal rule when there are problems like this is 'It's always the discs' ... but with such a variation of discs types all failing - that seems unlikely here.

There is a small possibility of operating system corruption so it is worth trying a power disconnection for a few minutes to clear it out... but I don't hold out much hope.

If that produces no change, I'd say don't fuss with it anymore. Take it back and have it replaced under warranty.
This is not normal. You've been unlucky.

Hi

Plays normal DVDs OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon the Frustrated

I had the same problem when I inserted DVD+RW disks. It came up with "disk incompatible". However when I bypassed this and formatted it in disk management it was then OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom