DMR-EX769EB - U80 message on units display

Daw52

Standard Member
Can anyone help please? For the last 5-6 weeks I have been getting a "U80" (Unit Fails to Operate properly) message when stopping the playback of a recording and going to normal TV. I seem to get 2-5 seconds of the TV program then it freezes and the U80 message appears on the units display. The TV screen then goes black while the EX769 spends a couple of minutes or so resetting itself. All is then fine until the next time. I seem to get this problem a couple of times a week and use the recorder most days. Does anyone know what could be causing this and is it something I should be worried about?

Thanks David

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
Just a longshot
Unplug unit from mains for around 10-15mins
Plug in and go into Function Menu>Others>Display>
New Service Message, Set to OFF

Other issues that can cause this problem are Overheating
Ensure adequate ventilation of unit, check Rear fan grill is clear of dust.
Other units just above/below can cause unit to overheat ensure good space between them

Dirty discs and/or cheaper DVDrs can sometimes cause this issue
Try not to leave discs in machine for long periods of time.Heat can affect the dyes and cause misreads
BigCam

Daw52

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply BigCam.

I did an unplug the unit for 15 minutes just a week ago to cure a problem of losing series link schedules.
The new service message is set to off and has been since the digital switchover in the Northwest.
The unit is not on any other units and has plenty of clear space top sides and back. I have checked the fan grill and it seems to be OK but I cleaned it anyway.

I very rarely use the unit for playing DVD's as I have a seperate player so I don't think that is the problem.

I have read in a much earlier thread that the freeview signal might be the cause of this type of problem. I was wondering if that might be the same in my case as it never happens during a recording or recording playback only when I switch back to viewing TV.

As it stands I could live with the problem, but I would appreciate any other input or suggestions anyone might have on this issue.

Thanks David

Gavtech

Administrator
T
I have read in a much earlier thread that the freeview signal might be the cause of this type of problem. I was wondering if that might be the same in my case as it never happens during a recording or recording playback only when I switch back to viewing TV.

As it stands I could live with the problem, but I would appreciate any other input or suggestions anyone might have on this issue.

Thanks David
I'm assuming you may have the unit connected by HDMI?

A U80 error is a microprocessor detection of a 'communication error on the timer bus'.

As such there are a myriad potential causes of such a thing... It doesn't tell one much.

But given your description above of when the fault occurs, it would be a time when the HDMI interface is switched in and out ... HDMI signals can, and are known to, knock out certain RF channels under certain circumstances...or could perhaps provide switching corruption which could lead to the problem symptom.

So I suggest two things:

Observe and make a note of the channel involved when the fault occurs. A pattern may emerge that indicated only one or two muxes are involved, which may provide a useful clue.

Secondly, if you can stand it, [ and do have the unit currently connected by HDMI ] try connecting the unit by scart only for a while, and see if the fault ever occurs under those circumstances.

Additionally - do you know the transmitter you receive from?
Winter hill was known to cause this problem for some users - seemingly due to a co-sited temporary transmitter.

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
Re:I very rarely use the unit for playing DVD's as I have a seperate player so I don't think that is the problem.
I was referring to Recordable DVD-R/RW's
I have the DMR -EX83EB model and find that although its always set to HDD for recording
On powering up it will still verify any DVDRs that are left in the machine on bootup and shutdown
If theres any issues with that disc it can increase the time taken to power up/down
Removing those discs it boots up in seconds

As for the Freeview signal there were reported problems if the signal strength was to high and the suggested fix was to fit an attenuator to the aerial input.
BigCam

Daw52

Standard Member
Thanks Gavtech and BigCam. Yes I'm connected by HDMI and my transmitter is Winter Hill. I will certainly try all your suugestions and let you know how I get on. I also checked and no DVDs have been left in the drive.
Thanks again for your help - David

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom