DMR-EX75 and progressive scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shoit, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Shoit

Shoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have rushed out in the pre-january sales with money burning a hole im my pocket I have just purchased a 26" Toshiba LCD tv and want to connect so that I can use progressive scan for dvd playback.

I am unsure whether to use HDMI or Component and currently do not have cables for either. Can somebody clarify which cable would be best to use and also outline exaclty what connections I would need to use the component output as I dont have a clue?

Any suggestions of cables would also be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. A5tra_G

A5tra_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the same dvdr connected by component and am very pleased with it, if connecting by component you will need a set of component leads which are used for picture output only, therefore you will need a connection for audio to your suround sound amp which I presume will be an optical cable. If you dont have a amp just get a hdmi cabel which will carry sound and video to your tv.

Enjoy,

Paul.

3. PSI_Orion

PSI_Orion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased an LG 32" LCDTV with HDMI and Component but have yet to try either for DVDs. I do have my PC plugged into HDMI and it's far better quality than Component which you would expect as HDMI is digit5al whereas Component is still analogue.

I've used Component on my CRT TV for years and the picture quality is superb. To be honest, unless you have an HD output you won't notice any benefit from an HDMI connection. Wait 'til you get an HD source and then use it.

As for the cables, they ain't cheap - either of them. Make sure you get a long enough one as the majority on sale are like 1.5M which is way too short for me!

4. Shoit

Shoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently do not have a amp and obviously want both sound and video - does that mean that I will need a component cable with 3 connections for video and another 2 for sound. If this is the case, wouldn't it be worth me spending similar amounts on a HDMI and having a single cable solution??

Kev

5. rnem170

rnem170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    HDMI carries video and sound. Component just carries video, so you also need phono leads too. If you're not using the HDMI for anything else, then that'll be easiest.

You can pick up a 2m HDMI-HDMI lead from LIDL for £4.99 at the moment. I doubt you'll find cheaper. Since it's a digital signal, I personally doubt that there's any difference between that one, and the ones that cost £20 from most places, and £40 from others. Or at least no difference that 99% of folks can perceive.

6. Shoit

Shoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting point - wish I had a lidl near me! Is this the general thinking on HDMI - will I notice a significant improvement from scart on dvd playback?