DMR-ES10 - Starting a flexible mode recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DGtal, Oct 31, 2005.

1. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the Panasonic ES10 deck and am extremely impressed with just about everything. Don't like the tiny thumbnails after finalising (why so small Panasonic!!?), I wonder whether this could be cured by a firmware upgrade?

My query though (if anyone can help, most grateful), is; Is there a different way to start a flexible mode recording other than the menu, which is not transparent so makes it difficult to start the recording at precisely the right moment? If anyone's found another way to do it whilst still being able to see what is going on on-screen then please let me know!

Do Panasonic ever release firmware updates for niggly problems like this?

Thanks.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The flexible recording window is transparent in the Panny E85. Haven't noticed the window in the ES20D because I haven't used it for flex rec. yet.
    I will be very surprised if it isn't transparent.
    So the ES10 should also be transparent. Maybe you haven't set this correct in setup menu.

3. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it has a solid black background and I can't see anything in the setup menus to make it transparent. Seems rather odd and more than a little frustrating.

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yes I agree with you. Cannot see anything in SETUP to alter the transparency of FR window. On both my E85 and on the ES20D which I have just tried. It says with the dvd recorder in STOP mode, select Functions then Flexible Recording. This brings up the transparent overlay on the TV picture you are viewing and which you should still be able to see on screen. You then select the time you require then work through to "start" and when you press the OK button in middle of cursor the recording starts. You are not trying to do this in Timer recording I hope because FR mode will not work in delayed recordings.

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Further to the last posting - as I understand it you are saying that when you have selected AV mode on TV to view the output signal of the dvd recorder (TV or freeview channel/VHS tape from vcr/etcetera) then as soon as you select "Flexible Record" you are presented with a flex record setting window on a completely black background.

If so, then something is not working correctly. You appear to be losing the source of the dvd recorder input for some reason. You need to investigate why this is being lost. I think I would try a different scart lead for a start.

6. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem was down to my Sky Digibox! I've replaced it today with a shiny new one and all is well, the FR background is now lovely and transparent.

For anyone considering the Panasonic recorders I can totally recommend them. I am now 100% happy with my ES10.