DMR-EH50 Preventing Teletext flag?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pilotsnipes, Jun 13, 2005.

1. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks, this one has me stumped and so I'm looking for some opinions!

My system setup as follows:

Digital Tv--SCART->(AV2)DMR-EH50(AV1) --SCART->(AV1)Panasonic Media Box --> PlasmaTV (TH-42PWD7B)
    Decoder

Now either my Media Box (TU-PTA600B) or the Digital TV decoder can produce a teletext screen, but the media box's one is much superior in that it is full size and lightning quick compared to the tv decoder one.

Here's the problem, with the DVD recorder (EH50) switched OFF, my signal gets past through to the media box as normal, and I can watch teletext no problems.

Now if I switch my DVD recorder ON, instantly the teletext signal appears to be lost/destroyed and teletext cannot be seen!

It appears (complete guess) that the signal going into the EH50 is being altered on the way out only when the machine is turned on....can anyone explain why, or how I can watch teletext again with my recorder remaining on?

Thanks!

2. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yo, make sure that when the EH50 is switched on the recorder is on the teletext channel you want (ie 1 for bbc1 and not av2 etc etc), well that is all I can think of!!

3. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pilotsnipes.

I am not surprised, I fact I would be very surprised if the Teletext signal DID get through the DVD Recorder when switched on.

There is so much signal processing performed in a DVD Recorder these days, that inevitably the Teletext signal gets stripped off.

Teletext is transmitted in the first few lines of a TV Signal, usually from about Line 8 to about 15 (not entirely sure of the exact figures). These lines are normally "outside" of the normal viewing area. (You used to be able to see them on old tellies. The flashing row of dots at the top of the picture)

Normally a modern VCR or DVD recorder will have what are known as TBC's (Timebase Correctors). These normally strip the incoming sync pulses from the video, and rebuild the entire signal for recording (or output), to get the best possible PQ. Any signal outside of the main picture area would get stripped in the process.

Hope this helps, and wasn't too technical. :D

Pete

4. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No no not at all. In fact it only confirms what I had suspected. This is a severe Pain in the ass for me. I was hoping there would have been an easy fix.

Thanks for the reply.