1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-EH50 Ghosts in the machine

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shaggybert, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I currently have my EH50 connected to my Panasonic TV via a reasonable quality scart lead, and sending an RGB signal.

I sat down last night to watch a pre-recorded DVD, and noticed that during the dark scenes of the film, feint but distinct images could be seen on screen. Now these are obviously a broadcast signal, which is somehow bleeding into the signal from the DVD.

Obviously, these ghost images are very distracting, and not what i would have expected from a decent machine/setup.

Has anyone else noticed this with the EH50, or is the problem my setup.

Before getting the EH50, i had a bog standard sony DVD player, and the picture quality was always superb.

If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. :lease:

2. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shaggy

I have the same DVD player and also linked to my Panasonic TV (not sure if it is the same model as yours?)

I have played a few DVDs in the short time I have had this and haven't noticed this at all.

It could be that your TV isn't tuned correctly to the player ?? Maybe when you changed over from the Sony to the Panasonic it is on a slightly different frequency? Try de-tuning and then getting the TV to search for your player and see if this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

:thumbsup:

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Are you sure it's not a problem with the TV as I know my Panasonic TV does this when I'm watching satellite ? The way I've found around it is to tune into a channel number with no signal being received from terestrial before switching over to AV to watch the satellite. I believe you can also snip some of the cables in the scart lead to avoid return signals going back (or something like that).

4. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your input guys.

I had a second look at the interferance last night, and now it just looks like vertical lines which travel across the screen from right to left.

I can also see these lines when the screen goes black for a split second, as i change the station, using the DVD's tuner.

I cannot see them when using the TV on its own.

Unfortunately, as the DVD is connected to the TV via an RGB scart, I couldn't "retune" the TV, but I have managed to reduce the lines to a minimum using the colour and brightness settings of the TV. But they are still there, and they are still irritating!

5. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172

hey you are not alone! i have the same machine & have also noticed this 'line' travelling across my screen when the screen goes black for a split second, as i change the station, using the DVD's tuner. it travels from right to left on mine

stuart

6. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Stuart

Sorry to hear that.

Have you ever noticed it on a DVD?

7. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    no never

8. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this will be of any help but on one occasion in my set up when I copy Videos from my NLE system ( to four VCRs) I noticed a very faint vertical line (a couple of inches across) going across the screen on the recorded tapes.

It was more noticable when I fast forwarded the tapes. I know it was not on the original on my NLE system, so it must have happened during the recording.

I replaced all my scart leads and jiggled the cables about and this solved the problem. I don't know if it was a scart cable problem or if it had anything to do with the spagetti of cables at the back of my system, (power cables and video leads) all crossing each other, but it would seem that it was caused by some sort of interference.

I have heard of this sort of problem elsewhere.

I would give it a go re connecting your leads or replacing them and see how it goes.

Regards,

Martin

9. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    update -

it seems if i connect like this

DVDR AV1 (rgb) <---> Freeview VCR scart
    Freeview TV scart (rgb) <---> TV AV1 (rgb)

then, unless my eyes are mis-leading me :eek: , the lines go.

10. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Wow. cheers for the info.

Well it looks like i've got some re-wiring to do at the weekend.

All the best

Phil

11. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

I would start with unplugging and re-plugging your cables and making sure that none are crossing if possible and try it again, or if you have a spare scart lead try that.

Regards,

Martin

12. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    martin - what do you mean by 'crossing'?

13. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stuart,

I just meant that the mains leads crossing over the scart leads, in my set up of 4 or 5 VCRs there are 5 or 6 scart leads linking from my NLE system to all the VCRs also there are about six mains leads to all of these as well as the TV so it was a right mess behind the work station.

It may well have had nothing to do with it, I suppose it could well have been the first cable to the first VCR as they are daisy chained.

Anyway I just re-organised them and replaced the scart cables and the problem was solved.

The ghosting was a constant shadow going across the screen which made me think it might be some sort of electrical interference.

Regards,

Martin

14. Robin Davies

Robin Davies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if Shaggybert had sorted this problem out. I'm thinking of buying an EH50 myself and I don't want to buy a haunted machine :eek:

15. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    i think as others have advised, it is to do with the mass of leads producing electrical interference. i have connected up a second eh50 at a friends house who has minimal leads spewing out and that seems fine.

stuart

16. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help and advise with this one, and sorry you have had to wait so long for a result.

I invested in some new cables (QED RVR and QED Squart performance), as i thought the extra shielding may help the situation. Over the weekend, I completely pulled my setup to peices, and re-roughted all of the signal cables as far away from the power cables as i could.

After doing this, I am very happy to report that all of the interfgerence has completely dissapeared. The picture quality is now excelent. As good as, if not superior to my old sony player.

Once again many thanks

Phil

17. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad to hear that, obviously a wiring problem as opposed to a system problem, bet your pleased about that. :clap:

Regards,

Martin