DMR EH50 DVD Recorder... noise, finalization failed...

H

Heyjoojoo

I'm not sure if this happens as a result of the media or not but it seems that about 15% of my DVD-R disks are failing to finalize. It happens when I'm in the process of finalizing the DVD. The media brands are Princo and Taiyo Yuden. When I place the DVD in the drive, the EH50 starts going to work, as it gets going, it begans to create a scraping noise like the disk is spinning around and scraping the inside of the tray. I assumed that this was normal. But then I discovered that the finalizing always failed when it made this noise. So ,not sure what to think. I have about 300 unfinalized DVD's that I'm now concerned about. One of the solutions I tried was to make a copy of the 'finalized-failed' disk to another disk (using Nero on a PC) to see if I could try to finalize that one. In some cases that worked, but mostly didnt work or couldn't copy.

The problemed disk seems to show the video contents and plays thumbnails with no problem, on the EH50. So when the finalized-failed disk is placed in the EH50 drive, it runs and I can watch the individual chapters with no problem. But the EH50 will not finalize it.

I have several questions:

1. Is there third party way (by means of a PC) of finalizing disks created on the EH50?
2. Once the DVD-R is considered not "finalize-able", is there a way to dub that content from that disk back onto the HDD of the EH50?

Kareem

:lease:

Ken42

Hi Heyjoojoo,

I've sometimes had this problem when writing DVD-RWs for a second or third time and sometimes got over it by cleaning the disc. At other times I just had to throw the disc away. I've never had a problem with DVD-Rs.

I have never used the disc brands you're using, only TDK and Imation for rewritables. I think, but can't be sure, that the problem only occurred with Imation which is a cheap brand.

You must have kept some of your discs for a long time if you have only just got round to finalising them. You can dub the content back onto the Hard Drive, but not using the High Speed mode. It will take you a very long time to do it as it will have to be done in real time.

To void the problem you should record onto the HDD first, dub to DVD and immediately finalise. If any part of the dubbing doesn't work you can insert another disc and try again.

Ken

ROYOLD

Surprised that you mention Taiyo Yuden discs as a problem. I have used over 700 of the Panasonic 1-16x DVD-R using Taiyo Yuden TYG03 dye and not a single one has failed or failed to finalise. I finalise my discs immediately they are full.

I can well understand problems with Princo discs.

Any disc can be finalised using the same makers brand of dvd recorder which presents no problem in my case as I have seven Panasonics. Only a few of my earlier discs (Datawrite and Ridisc) failed to finalise and this was due to problems with the discs.

Use quality discs, finalise immediately they are full and you shouldn't have any problems.

Ken42

I've been using Panasonic 16x DVD-R for some time. Never had a problem.

ROYOLD: What's the Taiyo Yuden dye? How do you tell if you've got it or is that what Panasonic use?

ROYOLD

Some media suppliers websites give the type of dye used with blank dvd media.

SVP nearly always do and listed against
the Panasonic branded (non-printable)
1~16x DVD-R is given the type of the dye used by Taiyo Yuden. In this case its TYG03 but not all Panasonic discs use this Taiyo yuden dye. In particular the inkjet printable Panasonic discs don't. Another brand using this TYG03 dye is Mediastar, whereas Datasafe 8x (Taiyo Yuden) discs are using the TYG02 dye.

Note the various dyes on the SVP website :

http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?cid=118

I have just purchased another 600 of the Panny DVD-R discs. Simply because Panasonic pack them in boxes containing 6 pods of 100 blank discs. These will now last me for quite some time. I don't expect them becoming any cheaper hence the large quantity purchased. These are the cheapest available just now and from SVP.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2777&prepg=3

Adrian_F

I've been using Panasonic 16x DVD-R for some time. Never had a problem.

ROYOLD: What's the Taiyo Yuden dye? How do you tell if you've got it or is that what Panasonic use?

Hi Ken

If you have a PC with Nero burning software installed, then inserting a blank disc and running Nero InfoTool will give you the details of the manufacturer of the disc. In my case it is TYG03 (Taiyo Yuden).

ROYOLD

In which case you should get the same info for these Verbatim 16x discs :

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2894&prepg=&ref=buyers

SVP also have a 99p shipping offer on this weekend :

UK Mainland and
IOW customers:
Place an order with a
cart value of over £30,

select ECONOMY COURIER delivery option and
use the coupon code:
augbh99p

N. Ireland &
IOM customers:
Place an order with a
cart value of over £50,

select PARCEL COURIER delivery option and
use the coupon code:
augbh99pni

All other destinations
in the EU:
Place an order with a
cart value of over £100,

use the coupon code:
augbh99peu

Gavtech

Administrator
I'm not sure if this happens as a result of the media or not but it seems that about 15% of my DVD-R disks are failing to finalize. It happens when I'm in the process of finalizing the DVD. The media brands are Princo and Taiyo Yuden. When I place the DVD in the drive, the EH50 starts going to work, as it gets going, it begans to create a scraping noise like the disk is spinning around and scraping the inside of the tray.

The disk is gripped by a rotating plate with a ring of rubber on it which clamps the disk between it and another magnetic plate.

Over time that rubber ring becomes dusty and loses its 'tack'. The scraping noise is caused by the the disk arresting quickly to do a critical read / write operation, but because the grip is poor, the turntable slows right down but the momentum of the disk keeps it spinning... which is the cause of the noise.

If you are courageous enough, and cautious, you should be able to dismantle enough to get to the drive and clean that ring.

The ideal fluid for doing this is a cleaning fluid specifically designed for print rollers , which will restore the tack of the rubber... but it is not easy to get... so you could use isopropyl alcohol , or even methylated spirit... but using spirits is less desirable because it 'denatures' the rubber.

Even a little fairy liquid on a mildly damp sponge would do it.

This is usually a successful fix. The disk can arrest properly and the optical link is not lost so finalising should complete.

Another point is that Taiyo Yuden , because of their reputation are one of the most faked disks . You may have fakes.

Ken42

Hi Heyjoojoo,

You don't need to turn off High Speed dubbing. Change to DVD (as you would if you were playing a DVD) and then hit the function button and select 'Dubbing'.

The direction of dubbing is DVD to HDD.

Then dub as you would from HDD to to DVD. It will take place in real time rather than High Speed mode.

H

Heyjoojoo

(The beauty of forums)

Lots of helpful dialog here...

Ken:

When I get the disks that are not finalizable, how do I dub that content back to the HDD? Apparently, I need to turn off the high speed record and do it in real time. Where do I turn off the high speed so that I can put the disk content back on the HDD?

Kareem

Lydia2212

Novice Member
The disk is gripped by a rotating plate with a ring of rubber on it which clamps the disk between it and another magnetic plate.

Over time that rubber ring becomes dusty and loses its 'tack'. The scraping noise is caused by the the disk arresting quickly to do a critical read / write operation, but because the grip is poor, the turntable slows right down but the momentum of the disk keeps it spinning... which is the cause of the noise.

If you are courageous enough, and cautious, you should be able to dismantle enough to get to the drive and clean that ring.

The ideal fluid for doing this is a cleaning fluid specifically designed for print rollers , which will restore the tack of the rubber... but it is not easy to get... so you could use isopropyl alcohol , or even methylated spirit... but using spirits is less desirable because it 'denatures' the rubber.

Even a little fairy liquid on a mildly damp sponge would do it.

This is usually a successful fix. The disk can arrest properly and the optical link is not lost so finalising should complete.

Another point is that Taiyo Yuden , because of their reputation are one of the most faked disks . You may have fakes.

Lydia2212

Novice Member
Thank you, thank you, thank you. That was exactly what was wrong with my dvd recorder. One Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol on it, cleaned that little rubber washer thingy and problem solved. No more noise and the disks load and finalize flawlessly.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom