DMR-E95H - Adding 5.1 Sound

M

Marlin

Please can somebody tell me what kit do I need to add 5.1 sound to my HDD DVD Recorder (DMR-E95H)?

I'm keen to stay with Panasonic kit, but a visit to their website has left me confused.

Any constructive suggestions gratefully received.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Marlin said:
Please can somebody tell me what kit do I need to add 5.1 sound to my HDD DVD Recorder (DMR-E95H)?

I'm confused...if you're asking about recording 5.1 sound...you can't...no DVDRs are available at the moment which will record 5.1.

M

Marlin

Naw, I just want to be able to play commercial DVDs with 5.1 surround sound. The DVD player has an optical digital connection socket, which the Instruction book says is for "enjoying multi-channel surround sound on DVD-video".

I just want to know what bits of (preferably) Panasonic kit I need to connect to (apart from 5 speakers and a bass).

Thanks

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Marlin said:
Naw, I just want to be able to play commercial DVDs with 5.1 surround sound. The DVD player has an optical digital connection socket, which the Instruction book says is for "enjoying multi-channel surround sound on DVD-video".

I just want to know what bits of (preferably) Panasonic kit I need to connect to (apart from 5 speakers and a bass).

Thanks
You need a home cinema amp/receiver. A receiver is just an amp that has a tuner (radio) built in.

You connect the sound output on your DVD player/recorder to the sound input on the amp.
The amp will have the relevant outputs for connecting the front left and right speakers, centre speaker, left and right rear speakers and subwoofer.
You then connect up the speakers/sub and, in theory, you are away. In reality there will be a certain amount of setting up to do. The manual for the amp will explain, but if you have any questions at that stage, come back to the forum and members will be please to give advise.

I would recommend that you do a little homework on what amp would be best for you. I don't think you could go far wrong with one of the Denon models.
You will need to decide how powerful it needs to be and are you likely to want it to power a 7.1 set of speakers in the future, though I believe most modern amps have connections for 7.1 anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom