DMR-E85 - HDD upgrade + mp3 juke box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xaser1066, Sep 5, 2004.

1. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :hiya:

A few silly questions about the Panny DMR-E85 which I am thinking of buying.
    Do you know if the HDD could be replaced with a larger one? Do you think there maybe a firmware limitation stopping the use of larger disks? Does the unit allow you to reformat the HDD and start from scratch?

Can the DMR-E85 play audio only files from the HDD? Could these files be mp3's? I believe the audio portion of MPEG2 is mp3.

Thanks, Jason :)

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can replace the hard disk with a larger drive BUT it will not do you any good as the firmware will not use the additional space.

You cannot record MP3 files to the Hard Disk.

There is a re-initialise hard disk function which I have never needed to use but which I assume will at least wipe the Hard disk. Whether or not it actually reformats and/or verifies the disk I do not know.

3. get1a2get1a2

get1a2get1a2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can record MP3 files to the Hard Disk if you conect another dvd player to the rgb in on the panasonic i have no problem

4. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought a Panny E-55 last week and am thinking of switching it to a E85 (RS have a 2 week change your mind deal, even though an extra £220 is a lot for an 85gig HDD, but I now realise I need the functionality. I was wondering if you can record to the HDD at the same time as viewing a DVD playback?

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yep - only things you canot do are edit recordings or view another input source.