1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-E55 turning off without warning...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stadleroux, Feb 7, 2005.

1. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been watching TV via my DVD recorder for a couple of months now, but in recent weeks it has suddenly begun turning off without warning. It happened three times this evening. Is this a heat problem? It happens during the day and night, but as it is summer here now I guess it could be heat related... Should I rather not have it on all the time (when the TV is on)?

Or could it perhaps be something that should be fixed under warranty? Any sound advice would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Shouldn't be a heat problem. It sounds obvious but are the remote's batteries going flat?

3. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dunno if the remote could have anything to do with it; I'm not using it when the recorder turns off. I'm often not even watching TV when it happens, but the next time I look at the TV I just see the blue AV2 screen... :confused: How long are the batteries supposed to last anyway - as long as a TV remote's? I've only had mine since about August, I think.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    It was just a thought - a year or so ago I thought my old HS2 had developed a fault as it was doing some random things without human intervention. Turned out to be dying batteries.

Just one thing to check that could be another cause: goto Functions/Setup/Connections and check AV2 connection is set to 'Normal'.

5. jpurkey

jpurkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shutting off when you are not using it is normal. By default it should shut off after 6 hours of non-use, though that can be changed to 2 hours or be disabled if you want it on all the time.