1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-E55 recording of 4:3 transmission

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ozgeoff, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Ozgeoff

Ozgeoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi from Downunder once again....
    I am having an issue with recordings I have been making of 4:3 transmissions.
    Specifically, when playing the discs on my PC or editing the VRO files to burn to DVD-R (to free up the DVD-RAM discs for new recordings) the aspect is stretched vertically.

Let me preface this by saying I have set the E55 - TV aspect type to 16:9 to match my television. When watching 4:3 transmissions, the pillar-box bars appear, leaving a 4:3 image correctly formatted within the 16:9 screen area. All is good for viewing TV.

I have been recording 4:3 material but when playing back, the VRO file has the aspect of 4:3 which means I have a 4:3 frame with pillar-box bars either side, thus making the actual image almost square in the centre and vertically stretched. Obviously, what I want is the VRO file to have a 16:9 aspect, the same as when I view the TV transmission.

Any thoughts on how I achieve this?

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. Ozgeoff

Ozgeoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,
    just to follow on, I decided to record some 16:9 from the digital set-top box.
    Looks great on TV and playing back from the E55 to the TV.

When I go to capture the clip using TMPGENC DVD Author though, the clip information tab stubbornly remains as MPEG- 2, 704x576 25fps (4:3) PAL, 9578 kbps.

How do I capture the clip in 16:9 aspect so I can create a 16:9 DVD-R ?

*quite confused now....*

Cheers,
    Geoff.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Aspect ratios drive me :mad: but anyway:

Originally Panasonic models used to have an option in Connections labelled as "TV settings DVD-RAM" which you could set to '16:9'. From memory I think this has been removed on UK models instead coupling DVD-RAM aspect ratio with the 'TV Aspect' also in the connection menu. So first things first can you confirm that is indeed the case on the Australian model.

The fact your DVD-RAMs are coming out as 4:3 suggest they may not be receiving a widscreen switching signal from your set-top box. Can you confirm it is indeed outputting a 16:9 switching signal.

4. Ozgeoff

Ozgeoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak,
    Aspect ratios ARE annoying aren't they...... :-(

I can confirm that my model E55 has no "TV Settings DVD-RAM" under the Connections menu - just the "TV Aspect" option (which I have set as 16:9)

I've looked at my STB settings - the SCART out (RGB) is the output connected to the E55 (AV2 in -RGB) and the Screen type is set to 16:9 Full screen (the only 16:9 setting available)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a 16:9 "switching" signal.... I know my TV changes from full screen 16:9 to 4:3 pillar-box (black bars at the side) when the transmitted image is 4:3, so I assume the STB is sending any signal necessary....

thanks for your advice once again.. :)

Cheers,
    Geoff

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    All pictures are 4:3 but 16:9 aspect ones carry a switching signal using Pin 8 of the Scart to tell TVs/DVD recorders to switch to widescreen mode.

Can you try switching Scart cables around - it maybe the one connecting the STB to the E55 isn't fully wired or is damaged - does that help?

Assuming that doesn't work try changing the TV Aspect on the E55 to '4:3' (I know you have a widescreen TV), do a recording test of 4:3 material and 16:9 material and see what result that gives. It may well result in the switching signal being recorded (although it should record for 16:9 broadcasts).

What are the other options in your STB TV settings?