DMR E55: recording from Hi8

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nergal, Mar 21, 2005.

1. nergal

nergal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to record from a canon Hi8 camcorder (about 5 years old) to a Panasonic E55 via the front L2 channel. I encountered 2 problems:

One:
    If I record using the XP mode, then I can't finalize the disc. The mahine freezes during the "finalizing" phase. None of the buttons repond. The only way to get it back is to disconnect it from power. I tried this 4 times. Gave up.

Two:
    If I record using the SP mode then sometime during recording it will go into "Self Check" mode and kick the disc out. In this mode, 1 out of 6 tries succeed and I can finalize the disk and play it in a different DVD player.

I'm using TDK DVD-R 8X 4.7G.

Here is what seems to work without problems: I have a Sony dvd player connected to L1 (at the back) and I can reliably make copies of the 2 dvds I succeeded in copying from the camcorder (from 2 above).

Advice or thoughts to help me get by these problems will be highly appreciated.

2. Monét

Monét

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange. This has nothing with dubbing from Hi8. Have you ever had such troubles before making copies from any device connected to that L2 input?

3. nergal

nergal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no dubbing involved. just straight forward recording: connect camcorder, press play; press play on E55 (clean disk everytime).

I have not had a chance to try other devices connected to L2.
    The E55 is a new addition to the rack.

There are many things I could do to try to narrow the possibilities.
    I will connect an old vcr player and see how that goes.

Using the S video connector on L2 did not make any difference (as opposed to using the yellow video line).

Suggestions are welcomed.

I'm not sure if the circuitry behind L2 is sensitive to signals from particular types of devices.

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe firmware upgrade for TDK X8 media, or try different media, as both problems appear to be media related

5. Monét

Monét

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, didn't mean dubbing but only pure recording. However, E55 has not HDD.
    Try to make some test recordings on RW and connect the other unit, but smells to me there will be the same thing.

6. nergal

nergal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be curious to know if it is possible to get firmware upgrades for the E55.
    I imagine panasonic to be the source [search on panasonic.com was not helpful]

how does one go about getting firmware upgrades for a dvd recorder?
    Do I have to ship the unit someplace to get it upgraded?

Nowadays we know how to upgrade computers connected to the internet.

Perhaps I should just buy panasonic media.