1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-E50 lip-synching

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by staxdoobie, Dec 31, 2003.

1. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I hope someone can be bothered to read all this, because I'd really like an explanation as to what's happening.

I have Sky+ connected to the Panasonic DMR-E50 (TV RGB > Pana AV1 > Pana AV2 > Sky+ TV scart, as the manual instructs for recording RGB), with AV connections set to RGB in Pana set-up. However, when watching Sky+ through AV2 channel on the Panasonic, there is a distinct lip-synch problem. If I alter AV2 connection from 'Normal' to 'Decoder' in the Panasonic set-up, I can watch Sky+ through the recorder on AV1 and the lip-synch problem is gone (it's still there if I watch through AV2 on the recorder though).

My question is this. If I record with the recorder set to AV1 (to avoid the lip-synch problem), am I recording an RGB picture (it certainly records something in the tests I've done)? Or is this only possible through AV2 on the recorder (meaning the lip-synch is out on the recording)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They all do it to some extent, but the recording will be ok. Don't watch tv live through the unit, use the second digibox scart to the tv and view sky via that, or if you are using ram watch a few seconds behind live and the problem will be gone.

If you set to decoder you are recording in rgb still but the unit will not record from the analogue channels via its own tuner. You will then need the second connection to view sky as the ubit will not pass sky whilst recording.

You will know if the signal is not rgb as the recorder will only record the sound and a black screen unless you alter the input to video, and vice versa. Don't use the tv button on the sky remote as this turns the digibox output from rgb to video and will spoil any planned recording, if you fail to remember to press the sky button afterwards. Easily done to change the tv analogue channel or put the tv into standby whilst recording or planning to record from sky.

3. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the reply. Clears up the RGB issue.

As for watching Sky by connecting the second scart to the tv, only AV1 on my TV is RGB, so I wouldn't really want to connect it to a spare non-RGB scart. Also, I never use analogue channels, so presumably I'd be OK watching Sky through AV1 on the recorder? Don't know if it's my imagination, but the picture seems slightly better through AV1 on the Pana than through AV2 - and no lip-synching problem.

Don't know if I've misunderstood your reply, but I am still able to watch Sky through the Pana while it is recording on AV1.

It's quite possible I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You will be able to view what you are recording if the unit is turned on. You cant view sky if the unit is off and recording or is recording an analogue channel if not set to decoder.(I have a HS2, this may be different for the e50)

Surely you occasionally want to record a long program on sky whilst watching a short one on analogue?

The second scart on the digibox does not output rgb anyway so there is no problem connecting this to another non rgb scart on your tv.

If you have set your machine to decoder, it doesn't matter what channel you think you have selected, it only displays what is input on av2.

The reason for the lip-sync issue is that sometimes the picture takes longer to process than the sound so they get out of sync. THis is remedied as the recording is done so the finished recording is ok, as will playback from ram a few seconds behind, about 7 normally is as close as you can get to live.