1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-E50 and Sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by djb, Aug 27, 2005.

1. djb

djb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ladies and Genitals,

I have just got a new Hitachi 32 LCD and hooking up the bits and bobs.

I have a DMR-E50, Sky and PS-2. The Video OUT on Sky goes via AV2 in on DMR and AV1 on DMR out to AV in on LCD. Everything works ok for recording and Sky plays on LCD.

However I cannot record one channel and watch others at the same time. The DMR is recording whatever the Sky outputs.

Surely this can be done, its driving me nuts ! Can anyone advise on how this is done? I tried autotuning but I assumed this just scans the RF in for channels?

Help before I take an Uzi and walk to curry spraying liberally !!

DJB

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    It's not clear what sort of problem you are having, exactly. Are you saying that:

* You can't watch Sky if you are recording something off the analogue tuner?
    * You can't record anything _except_ Sky?

Gav

3. djb

djb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavan,

I have no RF connections, not using any Freeview or terrestial.

I just have my Sky connected up to the LCD with the E50.

I can view Sky and Record Sky. I basically set the E50 to record from AV2 which is the AV connected to sky box.

What I was hoping is that I can record a specific sky channel while viewing another sky channel? I am guess its not possible?

djb

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Since you only have one satellite tuner/decoder in your Sky box, you can only record the channel that you're watching. If you want to watch and record different channels on Sky at the same time you have two choices:

(1) Buy Sky+ (it'll cost you a tenner a month to use the recording functionality UNLESS you already suscribe to two premium packages in which case it's free)
    (2) Buy a second digibox, pay a tenner a month for multiroom to get a second card for the second box. Hook one box to the DVD-Recorder, one directly to your telly. Be careful that you don't end up controlling both boxes at the same time from the remote!

If you can, I'd recommend hooking up the RF aerial as Freeview offers a decent range of channels with digital quality. That said, I'm not sure if you could watch freeview through the EH60 whilst recording Sky or vice versa.

Really, if recording Sky is your main priority then Sky+ is by far the best way to do it. Take it from someone who bought and sold a HDD/Deck after it didn't prove to be the best solution for Sky recording.

Gav

ooops - just saw that you have the EH50 and not the EH60, so forget the Freeview idea. OTOH, why not buy a nice cheap Freeview box as you get quite a good choice of free channels in digital quality?

5. djb

djb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavan.

Kind of assumed that was the case. As it happens I do have a freeview so I guess I will just hook that up like I did before.

I was hoping with all the interfaces on the Hitachi I could get around ANOTHER box :)

Anyways.
    Thanks again.