1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMR-E30/E50 disc interchangeabilty

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rob100, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi,

I currently own a DMR-E30 and am considering moving this into another room and getting an E50 to replace it in the lounge. I'm assuming the E50 is a better player? Anyway which way round I have them is not the issue.

I am wondering if the disc recorded on each player are 101% compatabile with each other or are there any issues/restrictions I should be aware of?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,

Rob.

2. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    There should be none the E30 and E50 are basically the same recorder/player and DVD-RAM recorders/players all work to DVD-RAM specifications so there should be no issues/restrictions etc.

The E30 was costing too much to produce and price point to high, So E30 was redesigned to reduce production costs and the E50 was born.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from a DMR-20 to an HS2. I seem to remember reading that DVD-R disks could be a problem. If they were created on one machine they couldn't be finalised on another. I have a DVD-R that has one 30 minute program on it and it is not recognised by the HS2 at all. So it seems it's the usual thing of different machines may have different results. You'll just have to try it and see.

DaveP

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the discs are finalized then I don't expect you will have a problem...However it depends on the media.

I'll give you two examples as I have an E20 and an E30.

First example is with Traxdata media (Ritek stuff) When recorded on the E30 and finalized and then played in the E20. The E20 stutters the playback badly. Unwatchable...only with Ritek stuff.

Second example if a recording is made on a Traxdata or Ritec once again but this time recorded in the E30 and not finalized. When taken out of the E30 and put in the E20 then the E20 does not want to know it. Finish up with a UII error.

So there is a fair degree of unpredictability depending on the media as well as the machines. To over come the problem I just avoid Ritek like I would avoid the plague.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    I made DVD-RAM recordings on my old E20 that played fine on my HS2. I have also made DVD-RAM HS2 recordings that play on my E50. From this I would suggest DVD-RAM recordings made on DVD-RAM recorders are fairly interchangeable (which they should be given they use the DVD Forum standard .VRO file format).

All finalised DVD-Rs have played on ALL my DVD players without problem.

6. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks for replies. It's only DVD-RAM that I'm really interested in, so as it seems that works that's sounds good to me :)

Rob.