1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dmr e-55 - the next chapter of hassles

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redjay420, Aug 3, 2004.

1. redjay420

redjay420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just got a panasonic dmr e-55, have my existing sky digibox and a LG RI-28CZ10RX tv (and the ps2&video) set up as follows:
    Sky TV Out (set to RGB) > AV2 on the E55 (set to RGB)
    Panasonic E55 AV1 (set to S-Video) > TV Ext1
    PS2 (set to S-Video) > TV Ext2
    VCR In/Out (set to composite) > Sky (VCR)

as recommended by Rasczak (thanks!) but have a couple of problems. i can only watch the tv when the dvd is off and cannot tune the tv picture through the dvd. both autosetting and manaul fail to find the channel for the picture. i'm probably just being a bit dense and im sure its easy to do but cant find any help in the manual and havent got a clue what else to do. also, setting the panasonic av1 to s-video made it black and white, so i put it back to rgb and it is fine. can anyone suggest a way to get this up and running? thanks heaps.....

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Your setup seems OK - check the Scart connection between Sky and E55 AV2 is from the TV Output Socket. Also why have you got AV1 on the E55 set to 'S-Video'? RGB is the preferred option!

What do you get when the DVD recorder is on? If it is a black screen with sound then it's because your getting a composite picture only: check you haven't pressed the Sky TV button (press Sky to reverse). If it's not a black screen can you expand - what precisely do you see when the DVDR is on (can you access menus for example, can you play DVDs).

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by this. Do you mean you can't view the DVD recorder on the RF channels - you need to watch via your Scart connection (EXT1) - you won't be able to tune it in.

RGB is the better of the two - why would you want to watch via S-Video? You should output on RGB on AV1.

Can you expand a little so we can provide help? Please just write down EVERYTHING however long and boring it may look as it really helps diagnosis!

3. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    When you try to watch the TV through the DVD are you selecting AV2 on the DVD recorder?

4. redjay420

redjay420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    av1 set to s-video was the recommendation you (rasczak) posted when i asked the original question. (check back threads if you dont believe me!) but that all seems to be fine now, the issue is of a not-being-able-to-record nature....
    when the dvd is off, i can watch the sky digibox as normal.when i turn the dvd on, the sky picture and sound goes. the screen goes grey. (which is the default screen colour before you go to any of the menus on the recorder as i understand.) i can watch dvds, or go through all the menus to set up everything (date/time etc, connections) for the dvd. there is supposed to be an auto tuning sequence to tune the recorder into the channel that the tv picture is on, so you can record it. it says that it cant find a channel. i have searched for it manually and still no joy. my dad has the same set up (apart from the ps2!) and i recall him saying he had a nightmare getting started but he lives in france and neither of us are particularly technically minded so i think a conversation between us about it would end in frustration and much swearing and throwing of equipment. i do apologise that i am particularly useless at both describing the problem and understanding a probably simple solution to it but like i say, im not very good with electrical things so need all the help i can get. preferable in as simple a way as possible. i sincerely appreciate all the help you guys have already offered and hope to sort this out soon so i can stop bothering you all!!! thanks.....

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Redjay - I advise upto 50 people a day on connection/setup/purchase options both here and elsewhere. I can't remember what I said to everyone all the time!

If the RGB setup works then use that because it's the best. If I recommended S-Video that was probably because I was unsure of your TV had RGB input (not all LGs do).

What is the AV1/AV2 Connetion type set as: it should be "normal".

Use the channel up/down buttons to switch to channel 'A2' on the front panel. No tuning of the recorder or the TV should be required!

6. redjay420

redjay420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it works!!!! thanks for all your help, i really do appreciate it. with any luck i shant need to call on your services again but watch this space......!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Excellent.

8. Clarky

Clarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak you are a very patient and attentive person. Well done.
    Regards

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    He is our reident DVD recorder expert and has probably resulted in the sale of 100's of units! Keeit up mate

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Nahh - I'm just a person with far too much time on my hands! Seriously I do encourage people to buy this kit so can't (and won't) just 'leave them too it' when they run into problems.

:blush: Thanks for that hornydragon! You'd be amazed how much abuse I do get via e-mail though! People saying 'I don't know what I'm talking about' and so on! Not that I'm particularly bothered by such rantings...especially as I give as good as I get!