1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dmm on loewe tvs

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dsb, Apr 20, 2002.

1. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with my aconda,if i turn DMM on when watching dvds.the red in the picture lags behind the rest of the scene and steps in blocks.
    is this the same for everyone else?
    if i switch it to DMI then it's fine -but i don't get that extra smoothness.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would recommend turning DMI/DMM off when watching DVDs. While these extra processing modes do make on-screen movement smoother, they also make films look like TV programs (IMO). To me, they just don't look right and lose their cinematic effect. I haven't really noticed the red lagging but DMM does produce noticeable blocking during some fast moving scenes.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    dsb,
    Digital Movie Mode Off, I agree with groundy.
    I do see slight edge bleeding with it on, particularly reds, it reduces if I turn down the colour a bit.
    I leave it off with the colour as I prefer.
    I am sure this is normal, not in any way a "fault".

4. ianbe

ianbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say that I've seen any problems with the red when watching DVDs with DMM on.

I must admit though that I generally find the picture 'too smooth' when watching films with DMM on. It's strange how the 'improvements' offered by DMM destroy much of the distinctive character of film. Someone said to me that it's now 'too much like being there, like watching the real world through a window'. This is obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but I can appreciate what he was trying to say.

Turning off DMM helps restore some of the character but at the expense of reverting to an interlaced display which introduces those annoying line twitter problems (albeit at 100 rather than 50Hz) and other 100Hz nasties.

Incidentally, I've noticed that some films suffer more than others with DMM on. For example, Gladiator was 'too smooth' - better with it off in my opinion, whereas with 'Dances with Wolves' the effect was much more subtle and actually improved things on balance in my opinion without destroying the character of the film.

Perhaps the method of transfer to/encoding of DVDs has some impact on how different TVs cope with material?

Ian

5. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ian in that results vary depending on the disc/film.

With most films I give DMM a go at the start and you can usually tell when it's going to be problematic - Hitchcock's North by Northwest and The Godfather Part II did not look good and suffered from artefacts.

Turn it off (I tend to go for DMI as looks a bit more stable - though not as sharp as 'off') and they look great.
    Other films have looked great with DMM on and I haven't seen any artefacts at all - Gladiator being one.