1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA Mode for DVD Player

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stewart C, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have installed a new motherboard Asus AV7. My power DVD diagnostic says that DMA is not activated.

I checked the tick box in the Control Panel, Systems menu but the message is still there.

I loaded all relevant software which came with M/Board. It actually asks for DMA to be enabled. I did so.

When my PC boots up the screen shows the DMA enabled on my HD and DVD Rom. The error message is still there.

My old Motherboard, however, showed in Power DVD that DMA was enabled.

Thanks

------------------
    Stewart C

An amateur but an enthusiast

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

I got similar behaviour running Powerdvd 2.5 under W2K on the A7V with a memorex Trimaxx 200 DVD/CD-R combi drive.

How is your playback? Mine was unwatchable.
    WinDVD seems much much better. However it doesn't give any indication that DMA is activated. The properties for the secondary IDE controller (where my dvd is) shows DMA if available but its always on PIO regardless. (i've checked when playing a dvd)

Two possibilities occur: the firmware on the dvd-drive needs upgrading.

I use an ata100 harddrive which is governed by the Promise ata100 controller driver. Whilst the HD performance is terrific this driver seems to grab some functionality away from the DMA controller :ie I 'm not sure I can trust the indications that tell me if DMA is enabled or not in the windows IDE settings.

To be honest this is the only area left on the machine that puzzles me. Everything else is pucka and runs off the proverbial shovel.

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gentlemen, you are in luck. I have the A7V board also.

I have been running my DVD connected to the second ATA100 port using a standard 40wire IDE cable. Old IDE channels (ata33) are disabled in BIOS.

Am running new Drivers for AGPVGA, 4 in 1 and Promise controller 1.60 Build 33. You can get all these from www.amdmb.com (the forum there will help a lot).

Suffice to say playback is pretty flawless. As the drive is connected to an ATA100 channel it defaults to ATA33 (which is what the DVD drive supports) but uses Ultra DMA 2 normally.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Hmm I did try the dvd-drive in the secondary ata100 port when I had that fatal systems error described in the gladiator post. It did seem to work OK but I read in the A7V manual that it was inadvisable to plug a cd-rom drive into the ata100 ports so I swapped it back. Come to think of it I do recall seeing that UDMA2 was activated on that device during the promise controllers detection phase. Obviously I didn't try playback like this as it was dvd playback that apparently killed the machine in the first place and swapped it back after reading the manual.

I'm assuming the promise driver over-rides the windows DMA controller functionality so the only way to use DMA on a device is to give it to the Promise controller ie: stick it in the ata100 port?

Are you sure pluggin the drive into the ata100 ports isn't going to smoke it (higher power loads??).

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I put the DVD Rom into the Secondary ATA100 there is not an DMA icon to tick in the system control panel.

I don't even get anything when it loads.

My DVD Rom will be set up as slave, should I change it to master?

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    No DMA check box just the transfer mode " DMA if available" setting for the secondary IDE port. The mode is always shown as PIO regardless though.

This is through the hardware manager. Nothing in the properties for the dvd-drive.

4.24a via 4in1 (one version up from the disc that came with the mobo)

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well we now know that the Drive is DMA supported. By plugging it into the ATA33 controller do you get the check box for DMA or is it greyout?

Are you using the latest IDE drivers the VIA 4in1 set? 4.28a I think is the latest?

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

8. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despair, Despair, Despair

Things just seem to go from bad to worse. I installed a new IBM Deskstar 30gb ATA100 hard disc last night. The DVD playback is worse than with my UDMA33 old hard disc.

I have downloaded everything there is to be downloaded and still no better. I downloaded Hercules GTS2 drivers 6.35 first. No joy. Then I downloaded Nvidia's Detonator 6.50. No joy. Incidentially I get 60fps(59.9) in the Power DVD Diagnosis, I could swear I was gettting 75fps with my old hard disc. What do you get?

I loaded the ATA100 drivers that came with my motherboard. I then downloaded v4.28(beta) as stated earlier. No joy. Incidentially, 4.8 did not have a promise controller on the download. Should it ?

My AV7 Bios is 1005D. My Power DVD is 2.55.

What should I do now ?

I did notice when my system boots and the screen searches for any Ultra ATA100 it comes up very quickly. It says DMA 5. Could this be a problem with the bios?

What are the DVD problems ?

It's almost like watching an old piece of video tape that you have watched too many times and the action is speeding up and slowing down. If a car is moving across the screen its like one the chap is braking and speeding up. Possibly missing frames I am not sure.

Advice please ?

------------------
    Stewart C

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

Similar problems: I have a 46GB version of the same drive. Powerdvd 2.55 I suspect is the main culpret (windvd performs much better on my system). Have you tried putting the dvd-drive in the secondary ata100 port? I'll try this myself tomorrow. I am running under W2K which may complicate the issue.

My hard drive runs fantastically otherwise compared with the hardcore (10 grand for a 20GB drive) SGI scsi based system here at work!

I would like to be sure I'm not going to melt the dvd-drive by plugging it into the ata100 port (I suspect I'm being overly paranoid but having rebuilt the damn thing twice its understandable) Maybe you should avoid the Gladiator region1 dvd for tests as although I can only half believe it , it did seem to totally kill my machine twice!

[This message has been edited by Mr.D (edited 16-02-2001).]

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys. I downloaded the Promise driver Build 33 and still had the problems with Power DVD. Only one thing left Uninstall.

However, I then Downloaded Power DVD 3.0 as per someones idea on the forum and hey presto the Enable DMA box was ticked. Thank god. "ET IT'S WORKING" Trouble is, not sure whether I want to pay extra for a software decoder, i suppose I would just need to pay the upgrade not the full cost as I have version 2.55.

Anyone willing to share a copy and serial number and Key for 3.0 ??

Anyway, I have downloaded and am using the Cinemaster. The Americans' seem to like it and to my relief the picture looks exactly the same as Power DVD, some may say better. Not as nicely presented as Power DVD or as functional but I don't care as long as it works.

The Cinemaster needs a wee bit of caution with regards to my Win 98 Region key. Other than that fine.

I thought I was going to have to remove my hard disc and put on the UDMA/66 connection, but no I have it running full speed.

I have to say the amount of resentment for the AV7 on the web it very fierce. I admit I have had problems too, but these guys are smashing Boards all other their rooms.

My old Chaintech never gave me any bother !!

Thanks to everyone who posted an idea/solution. Its good to know you are out there and not at the AVS Forum (Very helpful that it is).

Thanks

------------------
    Stewart C

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Well I just swapped my dvd-drive into the secondary ata100 port and again I can see DMA2 enabled during the detection phase.

No sign of any additional DMA buttons on any relevant settings though. Quality through Windvd is no better than before (it is pretty good video and audio wise no posterisation or weird decoding going as as there was in powerdvd 2.55 but there is still the occasional stutter (every 10 mins or so) The task manager shows only 34% cpu usage max.

Good things. Disabling the standard IDE ports in the bios and in W2K has halved my boot up time! The dvd-drive shows no signs of slagging down.

I suspect I just need a more recent player program to properly support W2K. Powerdvd 3.0 seems to be the one.

Thanks for the suggestions.