DM port Ipod Dock

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Marky1973, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I have a Sony STR-DG820 AV receiver with a DM port input. I am hoping to connect an ipod to the amp for MP3 playback and have looked for IPOD docks. I have come across the TDM-iP1 which is quite pricey for what it is (IMHO) and I was wondering what experience people have of these devices and whether using the DMport would give any great advantages over a bog standad dock connected to the amp with a stereo cable?

Are there any other cheaper DMport style docks?

Thanks

Mark

2. The Nuthouse

The Nuthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a sony STR-DG810 and the IPOD TDM-iP1. Yes I do agree it is a little pricey for what it does ($99 us), but it is worth it if you listen to your ipod quite often on the home stereo. It will charge your ipod as long as the receiver is on. It has two modes, 1 - you can control it via the receiver remote and have an on screen display (cheesy display and you have to enable it) 2 - with a touch of a button on the unit you can control the ipod normally. You can play videos but you have to use the supplied video cable and set the receiver up to display the correct video channel. For me, having a pure digital connection, fixed volume output, OSD and control from the receiver remote is key. I don't use it as much as i use to but has come in handy for charging when i don't want to tie up the computer or my iphone charger is in use. I do believe the DMP will also charge the iphone. Would i buy it again....more than likely, I am an electronics geek :D

3. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Cheers mate......have been looking at the Sony docks as they do seem to be the main option for DM PORT docks and they are pricey.....but I quite like the idea of plugging it into the back of the 820 rather than the front so its less messy! :D

4. Keith_Moon

Keith_Moon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what did you go for in the end marky1973?? Ive just bought a TDM-iP10 but cant get it to work

5. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Errrr......didn't go for anything in the end......It was the wife who was planning to get an Ipod/Sounddock combo for the kitchen and I was thinking about options for the living room - went home a few weeks back and she had spent her budget on a holiday at center parcs! :D

So maybe later in the year we might decide to finish what she started with the IPOD plans......but on hold for the moment!

Hope you manage to get it to work Must be someone on here who can help get you up and running.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

6. damocool

damocool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this dock work with the 3G iPhone?

7. sevoflurane

sevoflurane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. I have the TDM-iP1 via a DAV-X10 and it works with my iPhone 3G and 5th Gen iPod. On docking, you get the "This accessory is not made for iPhone..." prompt to go into Airplane mode, but the OSD, video, audio and charging of the iPhone 3G all work in the same way as the iPod. Not enabling Airplane mode doesn't appear to result in audio interference, either. I agree with others; it's a bit pricey but integrates very nicely and is worth it overall IMHO.

8. deadmonkey

deadmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I believe it's sony proprietary, so they will be the only options?

I've got an ip10 attached to a STR-DG820 and I think it's great, we never used the alternative with my old amp of pulling out the long audio cable and plugging it into the headphone socket, but just dropping it into the cradle and controlling it from the sofa is much better :)