DM-100 Shotgun mic not picking up anything with Canon Legria HF G10

SmashingK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Canon Legria HF G10 and trying to use a DM-100 mic with it.

I've attached the mic and locked it. I assumed it would pick up the mic automatically and use it but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I've also tried selecting the 'External Audio Input' option from the menu which also allows you to see what levels of volume it's picking up but there seems be nothing being picked up. There is also an 'External Player Link' option which doesn't seem to make a difference.

Can anyone assist with getting the mic working? The build in mic works but it's sound quality isn't very good and there's a lot of background noise being picked up even in a quiet room.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is the Advanced Shoe icon showing at the bottom of your screen? If not it's probably not connecting.

Yes it was showing.

It seems that the mic is in fact being used but it doesn't sound like it due to it picking up all that extra background noise. The only way I was able to confirm was to change the mic's setting from shotgun to 90degrees while recording. This gave me different levels of background noise.

It seems I now have another issue. When plugging in headphones I get a loud and rapid clicking noise being produced through them. Going into the menu produces a slightly different noise and changing the setting to Headphone seems to end the clicking. Returning to record mode then restarts the clicking noise.

Have you tried an alternative mic, therby proving the camcorder interface is correct?
Also, have you checked the Mic on other kit?

Without these checks, unless it something contained in the Manual(s) then it's kinda difficult to help.

One more thing - how is the mic powered? Does it need a battery, perhaps?

Not sure I like the comments about internal mics + noise even in quiet room . . . doesn't read right, IMHO. However, if you play some normal-level of music, when you stop what's the recorded sound (silence) like - it's possible you are experiencing the Auto-gain problem where the gain is cranked-up because it's a quiet room. By playing music (as I've suggested), the AGC will be at a normal level, at least for a while; although I've noticed some camcorders where this is limited to a couple of seconds, such is the designer's demand for "sound-track recording"

Check the headphones when using the internal mics - that should satisfy you they are correct.

Hi,

I've got a Canon Legria HF G10 and trying to use a DM-100 mic with it.

I've attached the mic and locked it. I assumed it would pick up the mic automatically and use it but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I've also tried selecting the 'External Audio Input' option from the menu which also allows you to see what levels of volume it's picking up but there seems be nothing being picked up. There is also an 'External Player Link' option which doesn't seem to make a difference.

Can anyone assist with getting the mic working? The build in mic works but it's sound quality isn't very good and there's a lot of background noise being picked up even in a quiet room.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, have just bought the surround mic which came with an SD card which had the firmware update on it. Perhaps the same situation applies to you. If so, do you still have the packaging? Look for the little plastic pack with the SD card; then follow the instruction sheet. If you have the SD card, turn camera on to playback, put card into memory slot A, select Photo from menu and then Firmware; the current version of the firmware will be shown (mine was v. 1); select OK; the camera will shut down automatically, and the firmware will be updated. In my case this enabled the proprietary camera shoe to read the new mic. The mic logo will appear in the lower right of the LCD screen. Good luck! BTW the camera is fantastic, despite having no accompanying printed handbook.
Bruce W

Certainly a useful aleternative to leaving things as they are . . . . however, I suggest OP checks out that camcorder as I suggested (Post#4) - ie BEFORE playing with Firmware.
If OP doesn't have the SD card "UpDate" - it should be available from the Canon Website.

-OR-

Bruce W - are you able to reproduce any of the issues OP is complaining about?
In particular, does the AGC ramp up in a quiet-room?

Hi,
I don't use any auto functions whatever, except autofocus, unless I have to capture something urgently (I also use Cinema mode permanently).
Page 66 of the Manual sets out how to use manual audio. You can the use trial and error to arrive at your optimal setting. This should avoid the ramping-up of ambient noise.
I can tell you how I exploit the manual exposure functions to my complete satisfaction, in a later post, if you're interested. They're fantastic.
Re the HF G10 Manual, print out the index to keep beside you when searching on your computer; the lack of a separate printed Manual is appalling; I would have preferred to pay more for the camera, which I bought two weeks ago, to have it included (I'm not going to print up 180+ pages!!)
Apart from that, this camera is quite phenomenal. Quite the best, out of many, I've owned.
Regards, Bruce W

Hi,
I don't use any auto functions whatever, except autofocus, unless I have to capture something urgently (I also use Cinema mode permanently).
Page 66 of the Manual sets out how to use manual audio. You can the use trial and error to arrive at your optimal setting. This should avoid the ramping-up of ambient noise.
I can tell you how I exploit the manual exposure functions to my complete satisfaction, in a later post, if you're interested. They're fantastic.
Re the HF G10 Manual, print out the index to keep beside you when searching on your computer; the lack of a separate printed Manual is appalling; I would have preferred to pay more for the camera, which I bought two weeks ago, to have it included (I'm not going to print up 180+ pages!!)
Apart from that, this camera is quite phenomenal. Quite the best, out of many, I've owned.
Regards, Bruce W

Wow are you saying your new HF G10 did not come with a full manual booklet,the only camera i have ever bought with just a basic quick reference book and the full manual had to be pc printed is the Pana FZ150,all the other dozens of different cams/cameras including my XA10 have had full manuals, i know what you meen about its performance my contact friend uses them in his wedding business,brilliant colour and overall video performance,the upcoming HF G30 sound great as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom