1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLPs vs AE700?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jwm15, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jwm15

jwm15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone compared a low to medium end DLP (such as an 4805 or H56) head-to-head with the Panasonic AE700?

I would love to get opinions about how the Panny compares (I bet I'm not alone!) I am trying to get a demo but nobody nearby has both (York/Leeds area).

-- John

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The recent cine4home review stated they managed to get a calibrated ratio of over 2050:1 :eek: that is higher then the dlp's mentioned but they had to use a filter to correct colour. But still good for a lcd. IMO is a bargain. I have one and im very very pleased with the contrast.

3. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just my opinion: I've compared a high-end DLP (Screenplay 7205) to an AE500 and, for me, the Panasonic was vastly superior. Yes, I know, its contrast wasn't as good, but at least it was watchable: You MUST demo DLP for at least half an hour to see if you and it are compatible. The rainbows may not be too annoying for some (I couldn't possibly live with them on the 4805, by the way), but the eyestrain all DLPs give me (okay, can't speak for three-chippers), makes them a non-option. I don't mean to upset those of you happy with your DLPs, but want to emphasise to anyone thinking of buying one the importance of an extended demo.