1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Vs PLASMA Vs LCD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by malso, Aug 14, 2005.

1. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been searching this topic on Google recently and i dont know if i'm reading bias........but they all say that plasma is a better P.Q than DLP.

they also say that in the long term, due to bulb life; that DLP is more expensive.

Take a look please :-

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/dlpvsplasmatv.html

http://www.plasma.com/classroom/LCD_tv _versus_plasma_tv.htm

other things to consider, the price of plasma/ lcd is dropping by quite a lot, plus the quality/performance of plasma has improved enormously recently, (i saw a vierra 50'' plasma saturday and the P.Q was perfect, the brightness and contrast was excellent)

with regards to the DLP picture quality, i'm guessing they're talking about the older models............. whatever the case, it makes the most sense to buy the newest and most advanced DLP models only.

are these reports bias ? you tell me please! :eek:

2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I think so.

What about Plasma screen burn, especily with bright channel ident logo's.

Both those sites seem to be all about plasma's anyway.

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a quick look on those two links you posted, they are disgracefully biased, like asking The Guardian to comment on the advantages and disadvantages of communism against capitalism ;)
    Personally I think DLP blows both Plasma and LCD out of the water when it comes to picture quality, and I'm a plasma owner !!
    The only thing you should trust is your own beautiful blue eyes, they will tell it like it is :smashin:

4. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i love DLP too, but we need to know what the truth is, as for plasma screen burn; it used to be a problem but not anymore.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I guess that, if you ask a question like this one

a) in a DLP forum, then the responses you will get will, in the main, be from people who have already made a choice - DLP - and hence will be generally supportive of that platform

b) in an LCD forum, then the responses you will get will, in the main, be from people who have already made a choice - LCD - and hence will be generally supportive of that platform

c) in a Plasma forum, then the responses you will get will, in the main, be from people who have already made a choice - Plasma - and hence will be generally supportive of that platform

d) in a CRT forum, then the responses you will get will, in the main, be from people who have already made a choice - CRT - and hence will be generally supportive of that platform

In other words, the age-old "which is best" question is 100% a matter of opinion; all technologies have their strengths and weaknesses; some people will tolerate some weaknesses, or insist on certain strengths; others will do likewise for different strengths and weaknesses.

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you think of comparing plasma to DLP technology you should really compare the main aspect and that is the picture quality. The contrast by definition is the measurement of black depending of the white amount. The plasma is a step ahead this time. The boast of this in the plasma technology is truly remarkable and it’s possible to heard about ratios like 4000 to 1. But not all the manufactures can accomplish this level of quality and the main ration is only 1000 to 1. The DLP is a relative new technology on the market so it’s not really fair to compare with plasma but some of the big manufacturers came close to the standard ration 1000:1.

The clarity is measured by the amount of lines and by looking at the clean edge around the picture. So again is hard to compare DLP television to plasma on this topic because both technologies have great reviews regarding the clarity. The plasma achieves this by conversion and processing and the DLP have made this possible using the best clean mirror technology.

The brightness makes the DLP set to take a step ahead the competition. The viewing angle in DLP is big. The final product has really no component that can burn, perhaps only the easily replaceable lamp. The advantage plasma may have at this chapter is the fact that the brightness doesn’t affect the colour richness but this affects most of the DLP TVs.

Both technologies are incredible and the difference between the two is equal in the final product. Both have a little advantage in some areas and some disadvantages. In the end it’s up to you and of course the price will affect your decision a lot.

Simply put, that is a difficult question to answer. Unlike Plasma TV screens DLP and LCD last much are longer, and are considered to both have superior image quality. LCD screens tend to have slightly better contrast, with a larger range of black and white color shades. DLP, however, still has faster refresh rates than LCD (although LCD has been vastly improved in this area over the last two years). This can have implications if you are really into high-action motion (sports, action movies), because movement may seem a little blurred with LCD at times. Also, you'll want to remember that in order for you to get the best color out of your LCD, you have to sit right in front of it. LCD TVs also have a slightly shorter lifespan than DLPs, with only 45,000 to 60,000 hours compared to 75,000 hours or more. As far as price goes, LCD and DLP are still more expensive than Plasma, but like all things in time, their price has been coming down. And right now, DLP is slightly more expensive than LCD, but not by much. DLP, in our eyes, is the best investment, at least for the next few years.

end quote:-

so all 3 technologies seem about equal, but they are all improving with time...with DLP improving the most, because it's the newest and has the furthest to evolve.

this tells you and I, to purchase the latest dlp on the market, but as said; 1080p is a waste of time...........but this pedestal 56'' will still (probably) have a superior picture to the sp50, in normal mode....this is just the way products evolve........ damn it :D

but your best bet, if you dont want this 1080p; is to go for the new SP50L6HX or 56, for one reason only.......its a new (more advanced) tv....plus of course, it's bloody cheap in comparison to the panasonic Viera 50'' plasma. :D :D :smashin:

this Panasonic Viera 50'' i saw in a showroom, set up correctly, (and not the rubbish Curry's have on display), was fantastic....it's so bright and sharp; its by far the best picture i've ever seen.

now then, if the sp56L6HX, is not quite as good as this; then i'll still be very pleased, because it's only half the price! :rotfl: :rotfl:

now this is why i've posted in Plasma vs DLP, because this new Viera made me think twice and also the new Philips LCD looks great too....the big problem i have, is i havent seen a DLP set up correctly and i can't either, not around here that's for sure...i've only seen that rubbish in Currys :D :D

but i will buy the SP56L6HX without seeing it...but if its no good, i'll simply send it back and make some excuse :D ......but i expect, i'll think it's fantastic... :rotfl:

because it'll definitely be way better than my Philips 24'' crt :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bit of a risk you're taking there bud. What if the dreaded ' rainbow effect' rears its ugly head? :eek:

I've seen the Sagem HD-45 with a HD source and that looked superb. I assume that the Samsung will be an improvement on the Sagem. I have always liked the PQ on the Sammy SP50LxHX, but the pedastal stand is not for me. :thumbsdow

Therefore, I suppose the SP50L6HX or SP56L6HX are worth a look.

I'm presently waiting for the Panny PHD8 panel, but I be swayed by a DLP due to simple economics. They're half the price of a good HD plasma, with the possible exception of the Sammy HD plasma.

Choices. choices. :confused:

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    As I have neither DLP or Plasma but am in the market for a large display (but do have a smaller 26" LCD), my "unbiased" opinions are

1. DLP is a cheaper alternative to plasma for true HD (i.e. 1280x720 and above pixel res display).
    2. So called HD Ready 42" plasma are lower res than DLP, and having compared them side by side I could see a slightly better HD image on the DLP - but its marginal
    3. Plasma still suffers from burn in and retention - you only have to read the threads on the plasma forum to see this is an ongoing problem
    4. HD issues aside, I think plasma image quality is better in respect of brightness, contrast, and viewing angle.

9. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to see plasma burn in - take a look at the departure gate monitor screens at Munich Airport, and tell me you still don't get burn in on plasmas :D

10. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ha ha........ :D

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont have a DLP, but i've done loads of research, the SP56L6HX is a real lady killer, i haven't read of a bad review :D :D

but be careful of price here and i must be honest, because in the long run DLP is the same price.........LIGHT BULBS.......you might be spending over 800 quid in light bulbs, depending how long you keep it....the one piece of good advice i read, was always purchase a spare bulb, because yours might last 2 years or only 2 days....it's called sod's law :D

in addition, plasmas are dropping in price, BUT; i'm not sure about plasma...i dont think it's worth that additional money ``up front`` for a marginally better P.Q.....because i dont intend to keep my DLP for ten years.....

Thus i wont be spending 800 quid on bulbs....because the SP56 will be old technology in 4 years time! ............we'll all want something better than this by then, because 4 years with regards to ever improving technology; is one hell of a long time :lesson: :eek: :eek:

12. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SP56L6HX - Me TOO!

This will be THE one for me, cause everyone is loving the SP50L7HX, the 56 sounds to me a better and bigger version!

SP56L6HX!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it does, but it might not be; equally good will be good enough.

its also quite cheap, looks great and i've read no bad reviews in America...but it might be wise to do your own research :smashin:

the SP56 Pedestal 1080p will be expensive and there's no need for 1080p yet, therefore; the best alternative might be the SP56L6HX

14. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I would be a bit careful puting so much trust in the opinions of others here, fellars. I bought half my present gear in a similar manner from the States, and have been extremely fortunate sofar. These screens however are NOT the type to buy blindly, because their shortcomings and quirks can be annoying as hell depending on you and your tastes.

I was severely dissapointed with the SP50L7HX after reading all the praise by reviewers and current owners and fiddling with one for over an hour in our local shop. I am doubtful if I could live with this Sony in my home, even after calibration and even though I have my wonderful Arcam dv27a to take care of the video-part. My bet is that the 56" isn't gonna solve these problems, so I'm waiting to see what the coming (1080p?) Sony's, Thomson's, and Themescene's can do.

15. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Ettepet

nothing is signed, sealed and delivered yet...all options are still open

16. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just my views
    before i bought my dlp, i had a panny rear projection, after 3 half years its started to go wrong, so i started to look around for the next best thing. trust me the amount of research i did and hours upon hours of looking around and comparing different kinds of tv e.g. first it was lcd and plasma, then i heard about dlp. about a years worth of research :eek: . as the 5 year guarantee was nearly up and then panny stopped making rear projection. i got my money back. :D

the reason way i went for a dlp, it was pretty new tech here, was because of the quality of pic and cuz it was far cheaper and much better then any lcd or plasma. i choice a dlp also because of the big screen :D and u wont get the quality pic from a lcd or plasma from a big screen. not even nw. come on who would buy a tv that had low quality pic, (no one) every1 looks for the quality of pic they will receive from a tv (human instinct). ok the bulbs are quite expensive. but after having the dlp for 2 years plus, the price of that bulb would cost u half of what it was worth then. so when people say get a spare bulb when u buy a dlp its not worth it. even if the bulb/lump goes after 8 months u are still covered under a manufacturers guarantee. all bulbs/lumps for every manufacturer are covered in manufacturers guarantee, be it 1 year or 2. dont believe me either read the small print :boring: or ring the manufacturer

fair enough plasma has come along way, but i reckon it will die out and dlp will stay. but saying that technology always changes u never nw we might get a new technology pdpp (pure digital processing power :D)

so thats way i went for a dlp “quality of pic” oh and the big screen

17. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what DLP did you buy, the RD65?

18. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ``so when people say get a spare bulb when u buy a dlp its not worth it. even if the bulb/lump goes after 8 months u are still covered under a manufacturers guarantee. all bulbs/lumps for every manufacturer are covered in manufacturers guarantee, be it 1 year or 2. dont believe me either read the small print or ring the manufacturer``

aah no, you're missing the point here and i didn't explain why anyway; so it's my fault.. it's a pain in the arse when the bulb goes; half way through a good film and you have to wait 3 days for a new one....this is why you should keep a spare, it'll only take 10 mins to replace. :D

19. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Only if you have Asbestos fingers!

20. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nah u get a warning light, and in most cases, the bulb will stay on for 1 day before it blows :D