DLP vs LCD

Which do you prefer?

• DLP projector

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • LCD projector

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
It has to be DLP for me, the best LCD I saw was the Sony W11, it was just the black levels that dissapointed. Sim2 HT200 DM a lot better in my view.

The rainbow effect is an interesting one. I really don't suffer at all wth it. I have to work very hard to see it ! On the Sim2 I have NEVER seen one !

Of all of my mates the outcome has been 1 very sensitive to it, gets a lot of them but only whilst moving around with the Sim2, watching a film he will maybe see 2 throughout.

The next most sensitive sees about half as many as Jeremy

60 % of the rest can see it if they force them selves to, moving eyes up, down and side to side with high contracs scenes. These guys rarely see one in a whole 2 hour film

the rest are like me ! Rainbow what rainbow ?!?! :)

You're luck :). The 200DM is a lot better than the 200. I saw a couple of rainbows during a 5 minute demo of the DM, compared to one every 5 or 6 seconds with a standard 200 (which would drive me crazy). The Sharp 9000 is pretty good with rainbows, too. Hardly saw any with that.

Cheers,
Liam

Liam

It seems your sensitive to it.

If you are thinking of the Sony 11 as an alternative there was an excellent review in a Us mag where they experimented with gamma settings / screens and set up and got the balck levels up to a tolerable level (the trouble is they used a stewart Firehawk sceen.....)

Maybe a second hand 11 and hang around for a second hand HT300 or Sharp when they become cheap enough ?

I bought my DM second hand with 234 hours on it :cool:

Originally posted by carrera2rs
Liam

It seems your sensitive to it.

If you are thinking of the Sony 11 as an alternative there was an excellent review in a Us mag where they experimented with gamma settings / screens and set up and got the balck levels up to a tolerable level (the trouble is they used a stewart Firehawk sceen.....)

Maybe a second hand 11 and hang around for a second hand HT300 or Sharp when they become cheap enough ?

I bought my DM second hand with 234 hours on it :cool:
I'm actually thinking of a second-hand CRT in a dedicated room, once I sort my life out and move house. The picture quality is just second to none, if you're prepared to have a completely light-controlled room with a VW Beetle bolted to the ceiling...

(Note: I don't want to turn this into a CRT vs fixed panel debate - it's just what I think is right for my circumstances and preferences)

Cheers,
Liam

Liam

I don't dipute your logic, with a dedicated room it's probably the way to go...

I am not sensitive to opinion and pixe/non pixel discussions, I love vinyl and analogue. My stereo is awesome and consists of vinyl, valves and massive Living Voice horn speakers (120kg each ! and large) but this produces true dynamics and scale... Sounds good on CD as well I guess a pair of horn speakers is a bit like a projector vs a plasma - They just don't have the visual impact of an 80" screen.

If you can't produce true scale there just isn't enough drama for me !

How much will a good second hand CRT cost ?

Originally posted by carrera2rs
How much will a good second hand CRT cost ?
From someone like Gordon or Roland @ B4 you'd be looking at about £2-4k for a 8" data CRT with suitable scaler, dependent on age, etc.

It is worth seeing one in action that has been set up well, just so that you can judge for yourself whether you think it is worth it.

And I'll say again, they're not for everyone ;).

Cheers,
Liam

Originally posted by lmccauley
compared to one every 5 or 6 seconds with a standard 200
Cheers,
Liam
1 - 2 every second for me with the HT200 :( That's one reason why I'm going CRT.

PK

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom