1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Video Scalers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sorcery, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am soon going to be purchasing an Infocus X1 DLP projector. I was planning on hooking up a cheap scaler to this - though through searching the forum I have found there appear to be 3 main candidates. Do people on here have any preference between the 3?

1. Zinwell ProV
    2. VTB-100 XGA Scaler [from scancom] - this appears to be a replacement for the TV-4000 XGA Theatre they used to do and comes with a component set of inputs.
    3. CVP PC/HDTV Tuner [from lektropacks] - http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=101&sku=590
    The third appears to support 2:2 pulldown for PAL which I am not sure if the others do...

Which should I buy? :)

Cheers,
    Nick

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Why do you want an external scaler? The internal Faroudja one does a pretty good job as far as I remember.

Or do you want it for tv etc? A tuner via your video may do the job.

Gary.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert but I thought Faroudja DCDi was supposed to be one of the best deinterlacers on the market.

I use a DVD recorder as a tuner for my pj. It is better than a VCR as it has s-video out compared to composite (although you may have rgb from the scart).

I'll probably be upgrading to the new JVC DR-M1 as it will have component out (as well as prog scan as I don't have DCDi!).

4. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh...ok :)

Maybe I won't bother then ;)

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Try the projector first and see what you think.

You'll probably be surprised at how good composite or s-video will look when connected straight into the X1 when feeding it an external signal from something like a video's tv tuner.

Of course, for DVD and Sky you'll want the best possible signal such as RGB via component or Scart.

Hope you enjoy the picture!

Gary.

6. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the inputs on the X1. As far as I know these are:

1 x Composite
    1 x VGA
    1 x SVideo [Component with adaptor]

Since the projector is likely to be a fair distance from the AV equipment [need a cable of at least 10m] what do you think the best bet is going to be? SVideo?

The DVD player I will be using with the projector doesn't have any Component outputs...

Also what is the best way of switching between sources? At a guess I will be wanting VCR, DVD and Sky with the possibility of a couple of consoles e.g. PS2, GC etc.

My original plan was to have 1 x 10m VGA cable from the scaler to the PJ but if I am not now going to use a scaler I will need to do something else ;)

I don't particularly want to be buying leads which I don't need... :)

Cheers,
    Nick

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    It doesn't hurt to run all connections to the projector - I have DVD, VGA, Copmonenet, composite and s-video. You never know what you may need in the future. ;)

I use DVI from HTPC, VGA and component from a Skyworth DVD player (depending on what mood I'm in. :) ) and s-video from another player. Composite is there from the other player purely as a carrier feed for the amps on-screen display.

If you need a switch box for multiple sources, then that's a different issue to an external scaler. So given the list you have, hopefully someone will suggest something suitable for you.

Gary.

8. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - supposing I am looking for the following then:

1 x 10m VGA lead
    1 x 10m Component lead
    1 x 10m SVideo lead
    1 x 10m Composite lead

What sort of price should I be looking at? I had a decent thread on cables and suppliers going the day before yesterday on here but it looks like it got deleted for some reason. :confused:

I see Lindy come fairly highly regarded but what suppliers did other people use?

For example is it worth paying £70 for Lindy's premium gold etc. etc. ? What is a good compromise on quality and cost? :)

Cheers,
    Nick

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I got my DVI from Lindys, and that was a good price. I wouldn't like to say if you'll see any difference between certain grades of cables, as I've done some testing with a range of cables and couldn't see any improvement - they did only range from £5 to £35 for the component cables I bought. Maybe spending £100 will make a difference, but I'm not willing to spend that much to find out - especialy if I can't see a difference. :)

The reason I say put everything up there is because you never know what you may upgrade too - the X1 may be the first of a few, and although throw distance may vary a bit, you'll still be using the trunking for cables. Trying to pull a DVI cable in wasn't that easy depite my trunking being 4" x 2". I had just used vga because that's all I thought I'd be using as my first pj needed an external scaler to give a decent picture.

I recon £30 a cable should be a good compromise for component and vga. CPC do various component, s-video and composite cables, so they could be worth a look.

Gary.

Gary.