1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dlp v plasma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by graham w, Mar 30, 2005.

1. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Called into Costco today,they had samsung 50"dlp,toshiba 45&52 dlp but inbetween the was a pioneer 505 xde.
    The difference was amazing!!
    I was considering a dlp but the pq difference had to seen to be beleived.The incredibles dvd was fed to all screens and the pioneer blew the dlp's away!

I had considered a dlp but not anymore ,the pioneer is double the price but worth every penny imo, and the pioneer is not as good as a panasonic! :oops:

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen badly set up DLP's myself in Comet's & plasma has looked better but i have never seen any Plasma come any where near the quality of my DLP set i have at home where it is set up properley. :)

3. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point!
    Suppose the same could be said about the plasma though.
    I seen the sagem45 at JL running Hi-def and it was pretty amazing,but my point was they were all fed the same material at the same time.

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before buying my DLP i did look at the plasma alternatives at seven oaks AV shop in Birmingham they apeared set up properly but did not have the picture quality of the Sagem HD 50 with DVD's as a source

5. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Graham_W.

I had been waiting for the latest DLP's to come along to see what was on offer, and managed to see a good variety of them.

However, I am one of those unfortunates that see the "rainbows" no matter what, so I've had to put DLP aside.

Agree the Pio PQ is extremely good, but wait a month, and the new Panny's will be available (with HDMI onboard too!).

I'm now waiting for my decorating to be completed, then off to get my Panny!

T.

6. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TonyA,
    def plasma for me too!
    Too many jaggies around the edges on dlp for me!
    Been waiting for the new panny too, but pioneer and the "old" viera are looking great value at the moment, especially when you consider hi-def is in its infancy.

7. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Graham thats a 4K Plasma screen, and there aren't very many 4K DLP TVs about so you aren't really comparing like for like.

In general most of the information I have read in various sources say that DLP PQ outdoes Plasma and indeed I am happy to do the Pepsi challenge with any Plasma in a similar price bracket to my Samsung 46.

In all fairness to Plasma's, they do seem to have less problems in terms of reliability when compared to the current DLP Rear Pro TVs, however with the next gen DLP TVs based on the xHD4 DMD I would say even the 505 is going to lose out and prices will be similar.

If you're prone to rainbows then maybe Plasma's or LCDs are the way forward for those ppl, my only major gripe with Rear Pro DLPs is the picture bending that most if not all seem to suffer from.

Furthermore Industry sources are forecasting that DLP will become the mainstream and the major Plasma issues still have not been resolved nor is it likely they will as they are inherent to the technology.

Still the bottom line tends to be trying to weigh up PQ vs Screen Size vs Price for most ppl, if budget isn't an issue then that opens up far more possibilities I guess. With a 4K budget I'd much rather spend it on a good Front Projection DLP and Bigass screen than a pretty looking Plasma, but perhaps thats just me!!

8. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree plasma isn't sorted by a long way so i guess its a budget choice thing.
    Anyway forgot to mention was in Costo Orlando 3 weeks ago and they had a 62" Tosh (same as 45 and 50 here) for 1700 quid,Might whet someones appetite! Take a look.

PS. 2 hotdogs 1 slice of pizza and 3 cokes for 2.50!

9. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costco are mad !!!! I saw the same setup as graham mentioned in the watford tesco and the samsung DLP looked the worst out of all. BUT i STill bought since i knw the potential of this telly.

I would rather spend 2 grand nw on a samsung 50 inch and then another 2 grand in 2 years time on the new HDx4 tellys. That way your bound to be pleased now and not feel ripped off after 2 years when u wanna upgrade.

Or you could spend the left over on a nice sound system. Which would add more to enjoyment then a few more dimples on celebrity faces.

I have been running samsung on indoor SD aerial and forgot all about connecting sky. LOL!!!!

10. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my sammy from Watford Costco, they had the same setup you mention showing A Shark Tail on a sony dvd player. The Sammy was by far the worst picture, and the plasma had the best pic - BUT when no one was looking ;) I swapped the wires from the sammy and plasma and what a suprise, now the Sammy looked the best and the plasma the worst! Lol, you can't just rely on what you see in the shops, you need to conduct your own field tests like I did with a portable dvd player etc.

DLP, especially the Sammy and Tosh (only tested Sagem 50" once) beat plasma's hands down. I was very impartial to either when I was testing them out in Currys and Comet with my own dvd player, and the DLP's where better in the PQ stakes than even the most expensive plasma's. Plus screen burn, shearing, blurring are all issues I do not want to deal with (although DLP's have their own issues!!).

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    ive seen the pioneer 42"-50" running hd1 high def sat and ive seen the sagem 50" and tosh running hidef demo's and both dlp's where better it wasnt even close :smashin:

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I havent seen a plasma that can better a DLP front or rear projector.

I did see a 81' pioneer display at the show with some HD footage which looked good but this is the only time which a plasma has impressed me. This pioneer plasma didnt have a UK release date and was on show at the AV show in hammersmith. The cost was over £15,000.

13. hedgehog

hedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same material on different displays often means different connections!
    And same material has noting to do with the individual (wrong) settings of the displays.

14. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    grahamw,

when i was deciding what to buy, the only plasma that i thought gave a better picture than the tosh DLP was the pioneer, in my opinion, just about every other plasma is inferior, with too many problems to list here, yes the pioneers picture is stunning but the price hike to buy one is massive.

get a grip man!!

15. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoken like a true Scot!!!
    On average , plasma life expectancy should be five years, so based on this it works out at 0.9p a night for the extra over a dlp for crystal clear jaggy free edges.
    Looks like a bargain to me albertz!
    You keep a grip on your money and i will enjoy technology as it unfolds! :thumbsup:

16. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    panasonic plasmas quote 60,000 hours to half brightness that is 20 years if used 8 hours a day everyday. I doubt I would have mine for even 10 years it would be laughable by then.

17. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Todays technology will be laughable in ten years ,and probably a lot sooner the way technology is going.
    I have a ten year old crt rigged up to ps2 and the pq is up there with the best of todays technology.Consumers demand so manufacturers manufacture,even stuff we dont want or need but buy it anyway!

18. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    graham w before u dismiss DLP i suggest u read this comparision between
    CRT , LCD , Plasma & DLP sets the link is to the final part , if you have the time it's well worth reading through the whole article if you have a couple of hours to spare.Comparison Test

19. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The trouble is, that all of the current technology has faults of one kind or another.

You only have to look through the forums, to see the sort of problems have had with Plasma, LCD, DLP etc...

However, year on year, each of these technologies are improving.

There's a lot of new technology around the corner.

DLP's with the "archimedes spiral" colour wheels - 3 DMD DLP's (only available in projectors at present) - all of which should eliminate those lovely rainbows.

Lcos and variants; Sony are launching their's this year - although JVC are not shipping HD-ILA to the UK for whatever stoopid reason they have!

And the biggie that I'm waiting for - CRT's younger, slimmer, sexier cousin; SED.

You can bet on whatever you buy this year, next year there will be something bigger, brighter, with more bells and whistles on it.

That's why I'm looking at my plasma as a "stop gap" purchase - It will enable me to view HD material - therefore future-proofing it to some extent - and a few years down the line, I'll replace it with whatever the best and technically stable alternative is (hopefully SED if its as good as they are predicting).

Ok, there is a size, to money trade off e.g. 42" Plasma = £2.5K - 50" = approx £5K - a much bigger outlay than DLP for the same size screens, and as a result even though I've got the budget available for a 50" - as a "stop gap", I don't see the point in paying out an extra £2.5.K for 50", on a technology that will no doubt be obsolete within the next 10 years.

I'll save that money and use it on the next "best thing" when it arrives.

T.