1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dlp v lcd

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Metric, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the difference/trade offs between dlp and lcd.

I got a plus 870 today, it looks great to me...but it sometimes has a flash of RGB around some objects...is this to do with the colour wheel? is this a known problem or do i have a fault?

cheers
    Mik

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    Both DLP and LCD are capable of avoiding the geometry, convergence, voltage regulation, and non-portability issues that are the achilles' heel of CRTs.

LCD vs DLP:

LCD - depending on which one - more pixels therefore, theoretically, less aliasing on diagonals. No discernible refresh rate (constant image). Possible dead pixels (permanent bright spots [or dark - but these aren't visible]). Least contrast of all systems, with black levels that are grey - but again, it depends on which and many recent boxes are pretty good. Sony VW10HT is a native 16x9 device which makes optimum use of the LCD panels for widescreen material. I think it's the only projector that is.

DLP - AFAIK all single chip DLPs are 800*600 pixels which, for a large screen, is quite coarse, hence aliasing on diagonals. It's made worse IMO by not being 16x9 - which means that for all widescreen material you're using only 1/2 or 2/3 of the available pixels to display the image. Rainbow effect caused by the colour wheel - more visible to some than to others - I can't stand it. Better contrast than LCD, better black levels.

------------------
    You should not drink and bake.....

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    There are xga (1024 x 768) DMD devcies available. There are single chip dlp projectors using these. The new Seleco HT250 will be based upon one.

What you are seeing is the "rainbow effect". It is a feature of this technology.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

4. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I own a VW10HT and was lucky enough to be able to try a Seleco Ht200 against it at
    home.

Key Issue:

1. The SONY has far higher resolution.

2. The SONY has a true 16:9 panel which means no light spillage on a 16:9 screen. This was a big problem on the Seleco with its' 4:3 panel. When you get a demo at a dealer be sure to look for this. The only way I could see round it would be to use Black velvet behind/around the screen.

3. I found the rainbow effect on the Seleco to be a big problem. It made my wife feel sick and felt it unwatchable.

4. The Seleco flickers on PAL material.

5. The colour uniformity of the Seleco is superior.

6. The black level of the Seleco is superior.

7. The Seleco does not suck in dust. This is not the problem people would have you believe however - it is easy to clean out if you are careful.

Overall ? I think the SONY wins: You do get used to the lack of true black but you do not get used to the rainbow effect on the Seleco however. The Seleco is also lakcing in resolution. If space is an issue, i would bey a VW10HT. If it is not, buy a Seleco 500.

Gordon: Could you clarity how the rainbow effect is a "feature" ? By feature, do you mean anomoly ?

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the replies...im living with rainbow effect...it gives me headache too close...almost everyone sees it, so not sure where the 5-10% of the population
    figure comes from.

From what i read the rainbow is inherent with dlp technology due to the spinning colour wheel (i take it the eye is quicker than the revs?), so i guess 3 panel dlp will eradicate the rainbow effect.

The plus 870 i got was £1175 inc vat with 42hrs on the bulb and a yrs warranty...the next thing in my price range was a sony cs2 from dabs at £1650 inc vat. Its my first projector and better than the £1000 sharp with 60 lumens i was looking at.

Just need to find a 10 metre quality cable for the video...any ideas? svhs or rca phono

Mike

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    Cable: I use a ProWire by Vivanco 10m S-Video cable ex stock from the Leeds Sony Centre at £29.99. It's fine. I compared it to a 1.5m IXOS cable (put the DVD player on a stepladder next to the projector). No discernible difference. Conclusion - no point in paying more (up to £300) for a more estoteric cable.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Edgeboy: I was being nice. A bit like saying that poor black level was a feature of LCD's.

Ultimately all projectors are compromises. It's just a matter of which you are most comfortable with.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !